Methotrexate mood changes

Options

Hello. This is my first post. I am experiencing being cranky and agitated while talking methotrexate but when I complain to my doctor or pharmacist they go directly to known side effects and don’t find information that mood changes occur as known side effects, then sort of throw up their hands.

Is anyone else feeling mood changes as well? Can something be done? I am 75 and certainly don’t want to feel this way every day. I want my senior years to be pleasant for myself and others around me which, right now, they are not.

Thanks for any input.

Brenda

Comments

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 113
    Options

I don't know how long you've been taking methotrexate but it does take the body and mind a bit of time to adjust both to the medication and to the illness itself. At first I was a bit weepy and felt depressed but I wouldn't be sure if it was the RA or the medication. I'd give it a bit of time to settle down and don't expect too much of yourself too soon.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @mzsudsbucket and welcome to the online forum,

As @Fif says, it might take a while to settle down with methotrexate if you’ve just started on it, although it isn’t mentioned as a side effect. There’s been a fairly recent discussion about this very thing though - it seems that some other members have also experienced similar symptoms to you. Have a look at the link below:

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@Fif @mzsudsbucket Mood changes are def a thing, I remember while I was on it for over a year being depressed and having thoughts of self harm, which surprised me the most as they were most unlike “usual me”. I was able to stop taking MTX in march 2023, and the depression stopped. Sadly because of litigation fears licensed docs can only follow published guidelines and instructions, there’s no room for out of the box thinking. Their job is mainly to figure out which published guideline to apply, not come up with non-standard solutions they may get into trouble for, regardless of outcome.

I have posted elsewhere about how myself and another here were able to come off MTX, but the docs arent interested in those unique circumstances to learn from. Mine told me thry had many like me on their books, but nonone was sponsoring a study.

I tried to cope with the depression by remaining active and in the sun as much as possible. Worked somewhat. Had some close friends check in on me. But cranky is harder to fix, but if Yoga helps then its worth a try, as it prob also has other benefits.

• rhian1964
    rhian1964 Member Posts: 1
    Options

hi I’m currently being prescribed Mtx 15mg injection I was on inflixamab but developed antibodies so came off it last July I also had to come off all medication due to inflammation that was a mystery still not over it , may be linked to covid ! , I have decided to try with out mtx it never really made a difference to my arthritis the dr gas now prescribed upadacitinib (Rinvoq) 15mg I have read up about this bilolgic and there are many side effects . To be honest I’m too scared to take it , I’m not sure what to do !

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

I had terrible low mood and literally no motivation !!
    Been off meds now a year (I’m in remission ) and all back to my normal happy self

• Mindful
    Mindful Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello @Hairobsessed123 that's awesome news! Congratulations! What us your diagnosis? I have PsA. I'm so sorry @mzsudsbucket that you are experiencing the mood changes. I get it bad on the steroids. My kids get a cranky mummy and then a guilty mummy for shout8ng and the cycle keeps going. Its not n9ce at all. I tr6 to listen to music and guided meditations and I am trying out different breathwork to see if this helps. I hope you find your happy again very soon xx

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis! 2020 ! Came off meds in March 2023 due to infection and never went back on them no pain no swelling back to my normal self I did have a flare sept /octo 2023 after covid but by the time I saw consultant and had scans ect I was all clear and he said I’m in remission !
    Because I’ve been so well I have quit smoking last July ! And lost 2 Stone in weight since October 2023 ! I’m doing my upmost to make sure I stay healthy mobile and stress levels as low as I can and so far so good !!!