Options

Hi, I’m Joanne,
I was diagnosed with RA about 18 months ago. It’s been a challenge to admit to myself that I have this condition and, even now, I still think I’ll wake up one morning and my immune system will have sorted itself.
I currently take Hydroxychloroquine (200mg) but my doctor wants me to also start taking Methotrexate. It’s a very confusing situation as my physiotherapist told me last week that she thinks it’s only my tendons that are currently being affected by my RA and that there is very little evidence that Methotrexate will help that.

I think this first post is me finally admitting to myself that I have this condition and I really need some help and support in making the right choices that will help me live with this disease for the rest of my life.

Thank you x

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi @jmj232 and welcome to the online community,

Receiving a diagnosis can feel overwhelming and it can certainly take a while to adjust. All of us on the forum understand what that's like, so you'll find plenty of people here ready to support you.

It's good to ask questions of your Rheumatologist so that together you can work out the best treatment for you. You could mention what your physiotherapist said about your condition, although a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis is based not only on your symptoms, but also a physical examination and the results of x-rays, scans and blood tests - all of which your Rheumatologist will consider when they suggest treatment. Many of our members have found that taking hydroxychloroquine and methotrexate together has really had a great effect on their symptoms and also the disease itself.

You might find the information below useful - it talks about rheumatoid arthritis, its symptoms and treatment.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you're getting on,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• tabassum
    tabassum Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am also have a similar problem and at the I am very upset and trying to adjust with all this new RA situation and I don’t know from where to start 😔

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @tabassum, it's good to see you in the community,

You've made a wise choice by joining us and this is the place you can start to adjust to your life with RA. Ask any questions, tell us how you feel and browse through some of the posts - you'll find many people who, like you and @jmj232 , began their journey with RA in confusion but who are now coming to terms with their new life and are sharing their experiences, support and advice with others. Do have a look round and join in with any of the conversations - I know you'll be made welcome.

Versus Arthritis has published a guide especially for those who have been newly diagnosed, and it might be helpful for you to have a look at it. Here's the link below:

Do have a look round the forum and join in with any of the conversations - I know you'll be made welcome.

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• neidrum
    neidrum Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi, I'm new on this site I have arthritis in my neck, spine and knees.

I went to ER last year for my back I could hardly walk with the pain I was given a shot and naproxen.

I try to walk every day at least 2,000 or more daily. I know I should walk at least 5,000 steps.

I'm 77 years old work P.T. 3 1/2 hours 6 days a week.

One of the things I remember my mom always said if you don't use it you'll lose it.

She was right because when I get lazy I start aching all over. (knees, neck, shoulders, back and legs)

I hope I'll be able to get feedback how to eliminate some pain specially in my neck.

• neidrum
    Options

• neidrum
    Options

Hi, I went to ER last year for my back each step was hurting like an electric shock in back.

I was given a shot and naproxen to take.

I started walking more following the paperwork they gave me.

I have arthritis in my neck, spine and knees.

I'm 77 years old and work 3 1/2 hours 6 days a week.

I remember what my mom told us if you don't use it you'll lose it.