THR Done 11th April 2024

Options

Morning all,

My THR was done in a private hospital on behalf of the NHS. I had a spinal anaesthetic and sedation which was incredible, I barely remember anything and heard nothing which I was slightly concerned about because I thought I would hear everything that was going on. The surgeon, anaesthetist and all staff were incredibly kind and helpful and treated me with great care. The anaesthetist was great, he referred to the sedation fluid as "Happy Milk" Before the operation he said "come on John lets get some happy milk and have a good time" he was brilliant.

My op was completed at 5pm so no physio work was done at that time but did start first thing Friday morning. As expected it was uncomfortable to start with but as I moved more and more it began to get a little easier. I did all the exercises, stairs and getting in and out out of bed and was able to walk slowly with two walking sticks. The therapist was happy with my progress and was keen to see me discharged that day. All in all my experience in the hospital was great and I am keen to go back and have my other hip done. If anyone is worried about having this procedure, don't, it's all fine.

I just relaxed Friday evening but did continue to walk about every so often and started my physio routine on Saturday morning and throughout the day. Again I felt the more I did it became slightly easier. Today (Sunday) I have done my first lot of physio and it feels a little easier again, I'm convinced that consistent physio is the key to recovery. I've heard it said on many occasions that after the op the OA pain in that hip and leg has gone and replaced with a different pain from the wound and bruising, I have found that to be the case, in addition the OA in my other hip and leg has become a little easier, I'm over the moon about this and confident that I will recover well, positive thinking also helps.

I am a side sleeper so sleeping on my back is going to be a little bit of a struggle so I'm sleeping in our spare room which has a divan bed and no foot board. This allows me to let my feet dangle off of the end of the bed and so relieve any pressure on my heels, so far it has allowed me to have some of the best sleep I've had in ages.

I have all of the usual gadgets at home to help me, my wife has been and is being really great so I am really pleased with the way this is going so far.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Well have to say you sound very positive and so glad all went well for you.

Keep up with the physio and good work and positive attitude 😘

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 285
    Options

That's great to hear about your positive experience. It's an amazimg surgery.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

@john62 Wow - that's wonderful. Fantastic you're sleeping so soon, and exercising getting a little easier. Hope it's not too long until you get your other hip done, but good news the pain is so much better already.

Take care 😊

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options

Well done you @john62 that all sounds really positive.

I can't believe how well you are sleeping that is for alot of people the hardest part of recovering from surgery.

I have no doubt you will keep up the physio and pretty soon like @alwayssewing be on your way to hip number 2😊

Take care

Toni x

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 130
    Options

Well done John, that's great news! Your theatre experience sounds very much like mine. No idea why I worried about and certainly won't be so concerned next time.

I wish I had thought about dangling my feet off the end of the bed to alleviate the heel pain!

At nearly six weeks I am still not sleeping great but getting used to sleeping on my back which I didn't normally do!

I agree with you about the exercises, they are hard going but so very important however tired you are.

Keep going, you are doing fantastic well

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 79
    Options

I didn't sleep so well last night, not because of pain l just kept waking up. I do recommend dangling your feet off of the end of the bed to alleviate heel pain and the anti-embolism stockings keep your feet warm. Not sure if l over did my physio yesterday, my leg is quite swollen this morning but l guess that is normal, plenty of elevation and ice pack today.

• ItsjustLisa
    ItsjustLisa Member Posts: 23
    Options

Great read @john62 I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

I've been referred for the "choices" with NHS and will be getting my op in a local private hospital when my turn comes around.

Just one question, when you say you "barely remember anything" that's just word choice isn't it, sorry, I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of hearing what's happening or being awake whilst I'm having major surgery. Didn't help that my dad gleefully told me that when he had his knee replacement he woke up and heard them sawing his bones and hammering, obviously not what you want to hear before you undertake surgery like this but my dad isn't the most sensitive person in the world 🙄.

Please keep us updated on your progress if you don't mind, these positive, honest diaries are helping me massively with my fear and anxiety, I never thought I'd need both hips replaced at 54 but here we are.

• Nurina
    edited 15. Apr 2024, 11:32
    Options

@ItsjustLisa You will not hear anything and you will not wake up. You'll fall peacefully sleep and you'll get up after like anything has happened. The anaesthetists are just looking at you so if they see you are waking up, they'll increase the dose. Are you sure your father had sedation? My mum chose to be awake during her surgery and she said about the hammering.

• john62
    Options

Hi @ItsjustLisa l can honestly say l heard nothing at all and felt no pain, try not to worry. Tell your anaesthetist of your concerns and he/she will make sure that you are fully sedated. I admit l was concerned about this but l was worrying uneccessarily. The benefits of spinal anaesthtic and sedation is that you very quickly recover and feel no ill affects that can somtimes be experienced with a general anaesthetic. Good luck when your turn comes around and try not to worry.

Take care.

• alwayssewing
    Options

@john62 It's good to hear all went well. It isn't easy to sleep on your back if you're a side sleeper. You do get used to it and soon work out if you are ready to try lying on your side. I tried it around the four week mark on each side for a few minutes and gradually it became longer.

I must admit I slept better after my op than I had done in years. I did wake in the night but not so often and was able to get back straight off to sleep.

I am due to have my second hip done on the 16th May which will be exactly 15 weeks after my first. I should have had it done today but got struck down by a virus last week so had to reschedule.

There is so much help and encouragement on here.

• john62
    Options

@alwayssewing one of the main reasons l sleep on my side is my wife wakes me if l'm on my back because l snore 😂 Looking forward to sleeping on my side. Good luck with your second hip, 15 weeks after the first is quick. I have been given a follow up on my first in May, l'm hoping my second will be done a short time after that.

Take care.

• JPT
    Options

@john62 my leg did swell for a couple of weeks which made wearing the compression socks uncomfortable but it did go down. Taking a midday rest lying down helped. Don't overdo the physio it's early days. I couldn't even start mine for a week!

• JPT
    Options

@ItsjustLisa you really won't feel or know anything is happening, trust me, I was scared as well and there was nothing to fear. The theatre staff are amazing and make sure you are looked after.

• john62
    Options

Sound advice @JPT l think l may have over done it slightly, l seem to have pulled a muscle in my back which l'm not surprised about because l have done very lttle exercise for such a long time. I guess it proves the point of exercising pre-op, it prepares your body for exercise post-op.

• john62
    Options

Day five and things seem to be going reasonably well, the pulled muscle in my back is easing off and exercises improving, when l say improving l mean in very small increments but just noticeable. I did have a short burst of a stabbing pain in my knee of the operated leg earlier this evening but it seems to have cleared now.

• ItsjustLisa
    ItsjustLisa Member Posts: 23
    Options

@john62 and @JPT thank you so much for your reassurance, it really does help, as do your post op diaries.

Really pleased to read your doing well, take it easy though. I was a professional gardener before having to give up work in January so was very fit and active before, that's the worst part for me, I really miss throwing the mower around and my lovely gardens

Have a lovely day and thank you again 😊

• john62
    Options

@ItsjustLisa my pleasure Lisa, if I can say or do anything that will give re-assurance then I'm pleased. I understand your frustration not being able to do anything, I have been very active all my life and just doing nothing doesn't rest well with me that's why I am eager to get things moving as quickly as is sensibly possible. You will again be throwing that mower around your gardens keep that in mind and work towards it.

Take care

• john62
    Options

@ItsjustLisa my pleasure Lisa, if I can say or do anything that will give re-assurance then I'm pleased. I understand your frustration not being able to do anything, I have been very active all my life and just doing nothing doesn't rest well with me that's why I am eager to get things moving as quickly as is sensibly possible. You will again be throwing that mower around your gardens keep that in mind and work towards it.

Take care

• Nurina
    Options

@john62 I'm happy to see you are doing well. The knee pain happened to me but I've read it's very normal. Muscles and nerves from the hip to the back will pull here and there. I've just come back from the Osteopath to to have my back realigned.

@ItsjustLisa You will throw the mower again. You will not believe how good ypu will feel.

Take care

• john62
    Options

Its day seven now, my wife went back to work on Wednesday so l'm on my own now and all is well. Exercises are going well and continue to get easier and l've started using only one stick instead of two. My leg is still swollen but l guess that will go down in time. I had the best nights sleep last night than l've had in a very long time.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 363
    Options

Well done @john62 it's early to be using one stick not two but I found that was when I made good progress. Once exercises start to get easier it shows they have done what they were meant to do and your physio moves you on to something more difficult! My leg was swollen for what seemed like a long time and then suddenly I realised it wasn't - not surprising when you think of what it has been through! A good night's sleep at your stage is excellent too!

• john62
    Options

Thank you @Janlyn l'm being very careful using one stick and move quite slowly. My wife is more worried than me about the swelling but as you say it's hardly surprising. I still wake occasionally at night with urge to roll over onto my side, once l realise l can't l fall back to sleep. I have my first physio 23rd of this month is it likely they will change my exercise routine?

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 18
    Options

@john62 Thankyou for the reassurance, I was due to go in for my thr May 1st but I’ve had a phone call to ask if I’d be willing to have it done next Wednesday! I said yes, I just want it over and done with , but can’t lie I’m scared stiff lol but you’ve made me feel somewhat better 😊

• john62
    Options

Hello @Bevdav123 it's only natural to feel scared, you don't know what to expect and it's probably the first time you have had this done. You will be fine, talk to the anaesthtist about your worries, they will make sure you are comfortable and ok. Think ahead to the day that you are free of pain. Good luck with it and please don't worry, it's all going to be ok.

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 18
    Options

@john62 thank you for replying, I know I’ll be fine, I can’t wait to be pain free ( I do have to have the other hip replaced too) but one hip pain free will be better than none 😊