THR Done 11th April 2024

Options
13»

Comments

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 87
    Options

@Janlyn it's good to hear of progress you have made also to hear you are free of pain. What sort distance are you walking at the moment? I went with my wife to walk our dog today and l managed 1300 steps, that will have increased steadily over the course of the day going up and down the stairs and walking around the house. I know what you mean people forgetting you have had a major operation, people think l'm going to be hopping around like crazy once l've recovered some more, they also forget l'm waiting for a second hip to be done and still won't be fully mobile.

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 30
    Options

@janlyn I’ve been exactly the same , can’t get enough orange juice ! Even orange ice lollies, the redness has gone and I’m getting around in the day pretty well, but the night is the part I’m struggling with, I’ve got arthritis at the bottom of my spine which is making it harder to lay comfortably, I find that I’m struggling to lay my leg flat , I’m managing a couple of hours but after that I need a pillow under my leg, but last night was a better night, so hopefully I’m turning a corner, when did you start walking outside? I’m going stir crazy already 😂.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 389
    Options

@john62 I'm walking easily for around 20 to 30 minutes now. Any more and I find my foot on my operated side turns inwards and my groin gets a little sore. A month ago this happened after 10 to 15 minutes so I do feel I'm progressing. During a whole day I'm now averaging over 9,000 steps a day. This has increased steadily over the months, I just naturally seem to be able to do more, if not day by day, but month by month.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your second hip to be done!

• Janlyn
    Options

@Bevdav123 I'm glad it wasn't just me - the number of oranges and orange juice I got through was unbelievable - our bodies must really know what we need if we listen carefully.

It's good to hear your redness has gone now, and you're getting around better during the day. The nights are so hard aren't they - but slowly I got back to normal - I never really sleep well and am up every couple of hours but I'm back to my normal. It must be so hard for you with arthritis in your spine. I was a number of weeks with my operated leg bent, then suddenly I realised it was laying flat. I used a shaped memory foam pillow under my operated knee for comfort in the early weeks. I'm sure you'll turn a corner soon.

I walked outside, very cautiously, after about 10 days, and then only for a couple of minutes or so. It was very wet and windy then so I was a bit scared of falling. It was so nice to actually be outside though - I hope you manage to get out soon, I'm so grateful now to be walking in the sun with the spring flowers out everywhere.

• john62
    Options

I am now in week five pre-op and my new hip is improving day by day. I am back to taking my dog out although I don't walk too far, I take him to an area where he can have a good run around on his own. I've been back to doing the cooking for over 2 weeks and I managed to cut our grass last Saturday. I am however finding that my unoperated hip is really painful again and does hinder my recovery slightly. I am using a walking stick now in my other hand to support that hip although I do change hands if my operated hip begins to ache when I'm walking or doing anything. I'm still taking Tramadol and Paracetamol for pain but only if absolutely necessary. I have my next physio session next week and then my six weeks review with my consultant, hopefully he might be able to give me an idea of when my next hip will be done, I can't wait. The hospital called me last Friday just to check how my wound is healing, good service I thought. Fortunately I had been to my local surgery who removed the dressing to reveal a very nicely healed scar, they said no need for any further dressing but to take care with it. Hope all are well and not in too much pain.

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

@john62 It's great to hear you are starting doing "normal" things in week 5. I'm in my 4th month and using a crutch for the other leg too. I don't want to hurt it and stay disabled again until I receive the surgery. I don't know what neighbours are thinking about me. Sometimes I use a right crutch, others, the left, when I go close to home, none and if I go walking further, I use both. Probably they would think I'm a cheater. 😂

At your stage, for me it was easier to use the 2-Point Gait walking with both crutches because it's partial weight bearing so I could walk more naturally without hurting my back and without limping with any of my legs. If I go walking for a long time, I still use this system.

Take care!

• john62
    Options

Hi @Nurina it sounds like we are both in a similar situation even though you are further on than me. Before my left hip was done l didn't suffer with any lower back pain even though limping and using a stick. Now it's recovering the pain has returned full on in my right hip and l'm having lower back pain, l'm assuming it's down to limping and a poor posture. I would prefer not to use crutches if possible but l will look into the 2 point gate walking, l know nothing about this at the moment. I will also talk to the physio next week about this to see what they suggest.

Take care.

• Janlyn
    Options

@john62 You're doing well for five weeks - well done! Amazing you're thinking about your next hip op already. I know you've still a long way to go for full recovery and it must be awful having the pain of your unoperated hip to live with but I do hope your physio can help to make you more comfortable. Take care.

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

@john62 Due to my both hips in bad shape, my physio recommended this 2 point crutch gait to avoid limping. For short distances I don't use crutches. My neighbour is a physiotherapist too and he told me that is much better to use crutches than limping. Thanks to this, I can walk longer without thinking about the pain. Check youtube for examples. It's a very comfortable walk. Crutches are annoying and I hate them. I'll get rid of them as soon as I'm fully recovered from both legs. Take care