Not my knee but my hips!

Options
Fran54
Fran54 Member Posts: 195
edited 26. Apr 2024, 19:53 in Living with arthritis

Well I went along for my Referral appointment for what I thought was my knee but it turns out I need both hips done! I knew that I had osteoarthritis in both hips but was told that my right knee pain was radiating down from my right hip and that my right hip needed to be replaced a.s.a.p. Also my gait when walking told him it was my hip. After recovering from the shock I asked him how long the waiting list was and was told approximately 3 months. I must admit that I feel relieved something will now be done as I realised over this last year that my day to day life was being severely impacted. Looks like I will be joining the "hippie brigade" soon.😊

P.S. Apparently my right knee is not too bad with arthritis, so I suppose that is a positive thing.

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 376
    Options

@Fran54 Welcome to the Hippies! Three months will be here before you know it. It's amazing how quickly after a replacement you realise you are on the way to a much better quality of life. There are a few of us here who have had THR recently so ask away if you have any questions or read our diaries. Take care.

• Fran54
    Options

@Janlyn

Thank you for your comment. I actually feel more positive today as I have something to aim for now. I have been reading all of the different "Hippies" posts with great interest and there are some really helpful tips. I may be showing my age but mentioning the word "Hippies" reminds me of an old 60's hit called "Hippy Hippy Shakes" by the Swinging Blue Jeans. Hey ho!😏

• Janlyn
    Options

@Fran54 Haha, you've got me singing to myself now😳 But, yes, once we name it we can plan for it. I found it really helpful to exercise as much as I could, which wasn't a lot at all, and to organise everything at home to make it as easy as possible to manage afterwards. Easy to prepare and store food. Cooking equipment close to hand so I didn't have to bend down or reach up. Easy to put on and take off clothes and so on…

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 80
    Options

@Fran54 great song! I've had one hip replaced just over two weeks ago and looking forward th having the second done at some future point. I also have OA in both knees but not too bad at this time but the pain radiating from my hips makes them feel really painful. What l can say is that since having my first hip done the pain in my knee below has all but gone apart from the occasional twinge, l hope you find the same.

• Fran54
    Options

@Janlyny Yes I have started doing a few different exercises for the hips and found them on this site. I need to keep doing them if only once a day ( try and do twice a day if no busy schedule ) just to keep everything as supple as possible. I have started to organise a small case for the hospital and was wondering what clothes/shoes I should wear. I have a skirt ( usually only wear trousers ) and some slip-ins shoes ( well known brand ). I don't do a lot of cooking but usually do an extra portion for the freezer, so will start doing that. If not will get in some easy to microwave meals. Trying to keep up to date with housework so I don't come back to a pigsty! I already have a few aids like picker-upper, sock puller up ( probably won't need that for a while though ) long handled brush/pan, so feel I am getting organised alright.🙂

• Fran54
    Options

@john62 yes a great song, maybe one day will be able to jig along to it again😊 I am glad that you are making such good progress and hopefully like you once my right hip is done the pain in my knee will also go. Registrar said it was radiating from the hip, so keeping fingers crossed. 😊

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 289
    Options

Three months only! It's amazing. My hip was radiating to the lower back. I thought I had OA in my vertebrae but it was the hip. I hope your knee pain disappears with your hip replacement. I had my surgery three months ago and I'll be waiting at least year for the next one.

• Fran54
    Options

@Nurina I was really surprised that it is was my hip that was causing all the knee problems. When I got the result of my pelvic x-ray all I was told was there was narrowing of space in both hips nothing else. This was March 2023 when the x-ray was done and this was the one that the Registrar was looking at when he told me about having a THR. Since then I did realise that my mobility and lack of movement range in that area had got a lot worse. Still now I know and I feel more positive about the future. I am not sure how long you have to wait in between hip replacements but I hope you are feeling the benefits of having had one done. Take care.🙂

• julesd
    julesd Member Posts: 2
    edited 29. Apr 2024, 11:00
    Options

@fran54 it’s interesting about knowing if it is knee or hip 1st. I had right THR nearly 2 weeks ago, having had lower back and knee issues, with a baker’s cyst that developed in Jan 24 in opposite knee. My hip deteriorated all of a sudden with a back and hip ‘event’ last Sep 23 where I went from being really active, walking 5-12 miles to 100 yds, if that. Once I had the THR op the baker’s cyst has disappeared and both knees less puffy. Realised that such compensation in gait from hip causes this great strain and effect on all other joints. Good that you know it is hip and that can be treated for you soon I hope. All the best.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,026
    Options

Hello @julesd and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

We have a lot of information on our website and I have put a link in below which you might find useful.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fran54
    Options

Well had a telephone call this afternoon and my pre-assessment appointment is on 28th May. Feeling excited and a little apprehensive but as they say "onwards and upwards"😊

• Janlyn
    Options

@Fran54 Good to hear you're able to do some exercises - anything you can do is beneficial.

It was mid-December when I had my surgery so I dug out a couple of long skirts with elasticated waists - I had a nicer one with a zip but was told to avoid zips so I was always okay for an x-ray once in hospital. Long dresses were good too until I could get trousers back on which was surprisingly quick. Slip on shoes, but with enough support were essential and my long-handled shoe horn got some use. I actually managed to get zipped boots on my putting a key ring through the zip and a long piece of string to pull the zip up. Unfortunately I hadn't thought ahead to taking them off and that was a bigger problem!

Once you get your case packed you'll feel prepared and better. My sock-helper was really useful but hopefully it'll be warm enough for you to not need socks. My grabber was helpful to get dressed too. It is amazing looking back though that as soon as I seemed to get used to all the gadgets I started to be able to manage without them. Just bear in mind when the going seems tough that it won't be for a long time in the grand scheme of things.

Easy meals, fruit, yogurt, cheese and healthy things to pick at are good. I had enormous cravings for oranges and orange juice. And try not to worry about housework - I did the absolute essentials or got my son to come and do them, and now I'm finding I'm slowly getting back to normal - it was all too much to start with. Any effort and I had to have a rest😂

• Janlyn
    Options

@julesd it sounds as though your THR has been successful and must be a great relief to you after such a painful time. You're so right about compensation in gait causing all sorts of problems. Take care.

• Fran54
    Options

@Janlyn thank you for your useful tips. I have been out today getting a few more bits for the hospital stay. I had not thought of taking my grabber with me. Yes I must learn to turn a blind eye to the housework and just do the basics, also my garden is gradually rewilding itself! I am getting better at resting/pacing myself as well.😉

• Janlyn
    Options

@Fran54 it gets easier to turn a blind eye - I couldn't iron for a few weeks and once I could I decided most things didn't really need ironing anyway. And rewilding is good for the planet. Well done at resting/pacing - it really is important 😊