New diagnosis with osteoarthritis in knee and about to fly to Australia - advice, please!

Hi there

My 63 y/o partner has just experienced an extremely painful flare-up in his knee and, now hospital has ruled out a DVT they believe, it is "just osteoarthritis" and given co-codamol and told to double his current Naproxen and sent home. He was already taking 500mg Naproxen for arthritis in his fingers and other knee for a few years. He describes this new pain in the other knee as shooting up and down his shin and I have never seen him in such pain. The existing arthritis pain he describes as an ache and stiffness. His older brother has just had both knees replaced and suffered for many years on v large dosage of painkillers so he is rather low about his prognosis. He is on meds for high blood pressure (managed well) and benign prostatic cancer together with lanzaprasole. His bloods are all fine and he is a healthy weight, takes regular exercise, drinks a little and does not smoke.

He is retiring in 2 weeks and flying to Australia for 3 weeks with his daughter to see other family over there and planning to walk loads and have a great time.

I am really worried about him getting some treatment and/or advice for pain management and how to cope on a long flight (he has never flown for more than 4 hours before). he has got a GP appt on Thursday morning and our GP is usually really good. What should he be asking for? Would anyone recommend any alternative therapies such as acupuncture or anything aids or anything? Would really appreciate advice from people. Thanks, sally

Tagged:

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,733

Hello @Bathsheba2

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to our online community.

How lucky is your partner to have such a supportive person in his life🙂

I am glad to hear he is going to see a good GP and hopefully get some advice there, but in the meantime I can make a few suggestions which might help too.

1 get informed:

2 exercise:

He may be wise to consider taking a walking stick away with him while he is on his trip just in case too and don't forget his painkillers.

I'll leave you now to meet our members who will no doubt have much more to add.

My very best wishes

Ellen.

• Hello @Bathsheba2 I have flown long haul many times including to Australia. I have had a diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the hip which is now probably going to have to be replaced in the year or so. I have managed it for years and flew to Australia a few years ago with it. My advice would be to break the journey in Singapore on the way there and back but it is probably too late to do that now.

I always book an aisle seat so that I can get up and walk around with having to clamber over other people. I make sure that I get up regularly and do a few exercises (there is usually enough space on the bigger long haul flights) and also do leg exercises sitting down. It is a good idea to wear flight socks to prevent swelling (they are not easy to get on and off). Also it is important to drink plenty of water (not alcohol) to minimise dehydration. There is plenty to distract you on a long haul flight - I put the headphones on and watch a movie or listen to music to pass the time. It might be possible to ask for a seat with extra leg room so he can stretch out a bit more. There is more space on a long haul flight than on the short haul flights to the Med but even so it can be a bit cramped when sitting for long periods of time.

For me walking poles are more useful than a walking stick so I took my trekking poles to Australia and managed the 11km walk around Uluru. They have to go in the hold but nobody is going to be walking miles on a plane! If he can't manage the steps or the long walk to departure gates then he could book Special Assistance at the airport for both ends of the journey. I haven't used Special Assistance but I have heard good reports. I have seen people being transported through the airport to departure gates on small vehicles (don't know what they are called) which can probably be arranged through Special Assistance. Might be worth contacting the airport to ask about what is available.

I can't comment on pain killers/medication other than to remember to put all essentials in hand luggage to take on board! Hope he has a good trip.