Been told I need a hip replacement at 45

Hello. I'd like to ask the forum about their experiences with this operation, particularly at the sort of age I am at. I'm a mother of 3, working full time at a desk job. I've recently been told I need a hip replacement and I feel I might have rushed to program the operation which is in about three weeks time. I'm really scared, I feel that I should have asked a bit more about the condition and procedure and healing times, as the only analgesia that I currently need tends to be one dose of ibuprofen once a month (when my period makes things worse).

I'm not sure if I should delay the op for a few months so I can feel less anxious and I know that's ultimately my decision but any support, tips, comments or relatable experience would be very very welcome. Thanks :)

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 115

Hello @Adriana, I'm not sure if anyone has welcomed you to the forum so I thought I would say hello.

I don't have experience with hip replacements other than my friend who is in the recovery period after her op. She's been getting help with her shopping, cooking and ferrying her kids around to their activities as she is still not able to drive. I would go back to the consultant/surgeon and ask for another appointment to ask the questions you have outlined in your post and if they are ok with you rescheduling why not give yourself that extra time?

Here is some info on hip replacements from the VA website, in case you haven't found it yet.

All the best

Joanne

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• janie123
    janie123 Member Posts: 2

hey there, I’m new here but just saw your post. So sorry you need hip replacement. I actually had my first one when I was 36. Unfortunately things didn’t work well for the first one and I have had a few problems but the other side is fantastic….. wouldn’t even know it’s been done and I healed really quickly and well. I would just say make sure you research the surgeon doing it….. I was is dreadful state of pain hardly able to walk without crutches before my first one. I had hip dysplasia and OA so had no choice. It is a big op but really made things better for right hip. Absolutely no probs with that side.
    Sorry to give mixed advice…. I now have fantastic surgeon who has repaired left hip and who did right side.
    Keep asking the consultant questions and get all the answers you need to reassure you first. Xx wishing you all the best x