Top Accessories After Hip Replacement - things I wish I’d known

BJG
BJG Member Posts: 34
edited 5. Jun 2024, 10:44 in Hints and Tips

Below is a bunch of things I’m finding incredibly useful following this month’s hip resurfacing op. Hopefully, this will help save someone a little time and give some piece of mind, knowing you’re home is ready for the big day. If you’d like to read more about my practical and emotional journey from diagnosis to actual op, you can read more by looking at the inserted link. In the coming weeks, I’ll also be detailing my experiences of the week by week rehab journey. 

1. Crutches and Grip Pads for the Handle Crutches are a must after the op. Mine came from the hospital - they recommend the ones you fully insert your arm into and it turns out this is really useful for e.g. being able to turn a light switch on or off without having to constantly put them down. But, after just a couple of days of using crutches, I found my hands getting sore from the pressure. The grip pads were excellent at making it easier to move about while you inevitably place more weight on the crutches.

2. Dressing stick/Shoehorn 35 inch One of the oddest things I’ve ever seen – like a walking stick with a flat end – this comedy shoehorn is great. It’s length stops you having to bend when putting shoes on and the handle allows it to be used as a hook when you find yourself needing to pick up clothes from the floor.

3. Jogging shorts/loose skirt Any loose shorts or skirt are good. Leaving the hospital, it’s pretty tough getting into anything other than very loose clothes. After 10 days, I’m still wearing shorts for simplicity.

4. Knee Pillow This is brilliant. As a habitual side sleeper, I was really worried about inadvertently rolling over in bed or doing something 'not allowed' with my legs in bed (such as crossing them). This small, double concave, memory pillow sits between the knees in bed and it has been great at helping me stay on my back - no problem. You’ll unlikely have any desire to turn onto the operated side as it’s sore/swollen. Using a normal pillow to wedge your other, unoperated side, also helps reduce the chances of the body trying to turn over when sleeping.

5. Toilet Frame and Riser Ah, the wonder that is the toilet frame. I should have bought this sooner. I didn’t think I’d need this but after a week of struggling to Mission Impossible myself onto and off the toilet bought an inexpensive one and it is brilliant. We also have a toilet riser seat (4 inch) that we took home from the hospital - combined with this frame, going to the bathroom is far, far simpler, safer and less awkward.

6. Leg strap/Lifter Another thing I wish I’d bought sooner. Initially, lifting the operated leg is hard. Even just getting it onto a foot stool can be challenging. This gives you extra leverage to help gently move your leg. Some might find it useful for getting into bed at night. For me, it comes into its own for trying to help leg swelling – the leg swells quite a lot after the op and a nurse recommended spending a bit of time each day with the legs elevated above the level of the heart while doing some ankle exercises (I’ll say more about this in the rehab posts). Now, each day after lunch, I lie on the sofa for an hour, legs raised onto a cushion - not sure I’d manage this without the lifter.

7. A Grabber Stick Like me, you might have thought these contraptions were for little more than picking up rubbish but they are vital for dressing yourself without bending. If you watch any video about how to dress after a hip op, these will be highly featured. Also, they pick up rubbish.

Good luck and if you have any questions, very happy to help :)

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 493

@BJG this is really good info for those following you. I agree the long-handled shoe-horn and knee pillow are exceptionally useful. Having my op in the middle of December I also found the sock-helper incredibly useful but the good news is these are all redundant now. I do wish I had bought a leg lifter - and recommend anyone reading this to do so - I struggled so much getting into and out of bed in the early days. And my grabber is now relegated to a litter picker.

You're doing well - take care 😊

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 362

@BJG From your list: long shoehorn, sock aid, grabber stick and leg lifter (my son's karate belt). I used a lot the combination shoe horn+ grabber stick to get dressed on my own. I haven't had problems with my crutches maybe because they have shaped grips adapted to the hands. I used a normal cushion for knees. I liked the toilet raiser but it was very uncomfortable at the beginning.

More things that were very useful for me:

-A long handle bath sponge was to wash myself from top to toe until the staples were removed. A non-slip mat in the bathroom to stand is important too. I had another non-slip mat in the kitchen near the sink to avoid slipping with water splashes.

- A crossbody bag with EVERYTHING I needed to go downstairs and upstairs so I didn't forget anything.

Thanks for sharing your contraptions.

• BJG
    BJG Member Posts: 34
    edited 6. Jun 2024, 09:50

Thanks @Nurina the cross body bag is a great idea! I’m just wearing a gilet and stuffing the pockets with everything: phone, water, book, wallet, meds… :) 🙏🏻

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 659
    edited 6. Jun 2024, 12:40

@BJG

You read my mind! I had been mulling this over for a few days. This is my list at 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. Sorry its a bit long, but handy.

If doing this again i would've put a kettle upstairs for making instant hot chocolate at night time.

Crutches

I was given two pairs last year when i had neck surgery. Found them the most awful things and made an existing problem with my wrist worse. Only use them on really bad days

Walking Sticks

I was given a pair in hospital post hip op and told to use these instead of crutches. I have a spare one that now lives at the top of the stairs as i only use one going up or down stairs.

Walking aticks are also useful for picking up shoes etc and 'guiding them' to where theyre needed

Stair Hand Rail

Had a second one fitted in March. Best money I've ever spent. Before being allowed home i was taught to use one stick (opposite side to the operated side) going up and down stairs. I leave the 'wrong one' at the bottom of the stairs and collect the spare one at the top. The spare one which had been mums, is left upstairs when i come down and retrieve the other one to my pair.

Doorstep Step

A small rectangular step purchased grom a well known online store was cheap and gives the the ability to get myself outside ony own.

Long handled BBQ tongs.

Mine are about 18" long and perfect for reaching stuff off shelves etc

Dressing stick/long handled shoe horn and pick up stick all essential.

Leg lifting stick

I was taught how to get in and out of bed without one. Nevwr used one and after day 2 i had mastered the art of getting in and out anyway. I suppose it depends on your physio.

Toilet seat

They tried to give me one but told them that as I'm under 5 ft i didnt need one, still dont need one

Hygiene pads/nappy bags

Very handy to use these in case you can't get to the bathroom in time!

Wet wipes

Not allowed to bath or shower for 6 weeks so purchased a pack of four with water and wipes in the name from the supermarket. I use wrapped round a long handled back brush. Makes life so much easier. Everything is shoved into a nappy bag which is easy to carry to the bin.

Crossbody I phone bag

Cheap and cheerful for little stuff like phone, tissues. Meds, etc

Surgical stockings

Our reward for surgery and the dreaded six weeks use before they go on the bonfire. My mornings are made better by having a footspa before the clean pair go on. Bliss.

E45 - the tub not the lotion

I was advised by one of my surgeons to start rubbing this in gently as soon as my scar had dried out. Cheaper and better than bio oil which just dries the skin. I now swear by it and it is the best advice i can give anyone post surgery.

Stick on grab handkes

Purchased online prior to surgery and stuck in the bath/shower. Will be handy again when i can get in the bath/shower again.

Swift recovery all

Trish xx

• Trish9556

Thanks @BJG

Just noticed all the typo's. I was sat in the garden and didnt pick them up lol.

The other item i forgot would be baggy legged trousers to compensate for the swelling.

Definitely not brave enough to wear yukky green surgical stockings for six weeks with dresses or skirts. Can't escape the fashion faux paux with shorts for physio on monday though 🤣🤣

Happy healing

Trish

• Trish9556
    edited 2. Jul 2024, 16:00

A post script to all of the above - keep your tub of E45 in the fridge! I can't take anti inflammatories or use the cream due to skin absorption (only just found this out from my lovely pharmacist).

The last few weeks with the heat, scarring and swelling have been exceedingly unconfortable and there's something therapeutic about applying cold cream to scarring and swelling on a hot day

Happy healing

Trish

• Annas1234
    Annas1234 Member Posts: 2

all of these comments are so helpful, thank you. However, my bedroom is far from the bathroom which is good for walking therapy but by the time. I get to the toilet I am in a rush and when you are feeling pain I found the use of a she wee a godsend in the first 10 days instead of a high rise seat ( I just don’t like the look of them in my bathroom, silly I know).