Risks of taking NSAI regularly

ChrisBlea
ChrisBlea Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Sep 2024, 09:34 in Living with arthritis

I have just had an opa about the OA in my hips, the Xrays show moderate to severe degeneration in both hips and are very painful, as are my hands and back. I take paracetamol and ibuprofen which controls the pain most of the time. However, he said that I should not be taking NSAI regularly because of the heart, stomach, kidney problems they cause and to use ibuprofen gel. I'm very concerned about not being able to take NSAI as other painkillers like co-codamol don't reduce inflammation. I'd appreciate member's opinions.

Tagged:

Comments

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 302

Hi

Do you mean NSAID anti inflamotary meds?

long story short, ive been on Froban 100mg twice a day for around 38 years and they have only now in the last 2 months caused stomach rot and ive been told to stop immediately and take paracetamol. im already on dehydrocodein and oromorph and methotrexate and anti tnf infusion.

supose ive been lucky as others have mentioned on other posts that they caused problems after 6-8 years.

so its a toss up of pain/inflamation releif or potential risk of more problems later in life.

hopefully others can advise further.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

NSAIDß damaged my stomach. I'm now on a stomach protectoor for life even though I cannot take them again. I managed, before both my hip replacements, on low strength co-codamol and regular exercises.

This is what the NHS says àbout them. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nsaids/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • cocoa
    cocoa Member Posts: 5

cocoa member

Have arthritis right hip. A/w op. Cocodamol and ibuprofen was controlling my pain till doc told me no more anti inflammatorys without omeprazole . Had severe reaction to omeprazole after 2 days . Now do not know what to take to control pain . Cocodamol on its own no good orparacetamol . Was only taking one 15/500 cocodamol each morning and ibuprofen and one in aft

• ChrisG9
    ChrisG9 Member Posts: 17
    edited 13. Sep 2024, 14:02

I'm 55 and have OA in my hands and right foot.

NSAIDS had a negative impact on my kidneys after taking them for just a short while. If I need painkillers then I will take paracetamol or sometimes codeine