Who are we roll call - Part 1

Comments

• ladydi
    ladydi Member Posts: 10
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi my name is diane i have R/A only just coming to terms with it . i suppose u can say i am lucky in the fact i have been diagnoised very fast, from pain at the beginng of the year to being diagnoised in aug,
  • snoozles59
    snoozles59 Member Posts: 1
    Hi :D:D
    my name is linda, ive only just joined and finding my way around
    im 48 single and live in a tiny 1 bed cottage in manchester with my 2 cats
    ive got OA in my knees ,im on morphine patches for the pain and also take parecetamoll
    i work full time in a secure forensic hospital, but not shure how long for on the wards :( depends on how long my knees hold up lol
    anyway thats it for now
    linda
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Hello everyone,

Have been reading this site daily for a long while. I think it is a fantastic means of support & education for anyone affected by this damned 'Arthur', either personally or through having friends & family members who suffer its many faces.

My name is Jackie (scorpiojackie), I am yrs young and was diagnosed in January with Primary Familial Osteo-arthritis... what a mouthful! I also live with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & have had Psoriasis for twenty yrs.

I had received throughout 2007 steroid shots & massive amounts of painkillers/anti-inflammatory drugs for my hip, as all the Drs kept saying was... "You are too young"!...... As you readers are all only too aware, this makes absolutely no difference when you are in chronic pain 24/7.

After several bouts of bad spasm attacks in my leg/hip, the last one needed Paramedic's & morphine to 'release' it, they finally took me seriously. This resulted in me having my Right Hip Resurfaced in June 08.

I had also during this time been having problems with my Jaw,neck, shoulders, lower back, arms, hands, L hip, R knee, ankles & feet... sounding familiar? Anyway, it was 'decided' that this was all due to the problems with my Right Hip... umm.
    So I had my Op in June & that has gone very well... (I think!) But as I progressed with the recovery of it, the rest of my body has been getting worse.

My Psoriasis has been on a major flare since the summer 07(also when the pains really took hold) with a brief... very brief kind of clearance period before my Op. (This was achieved by uvb course, steroids & Acitretin so my skin would be ok where they were going to make the incision)
    They did their job but I came off the Acitretin, in July because of side effects.
    I thought I would be ok but stopping the Acitretin caused a massive flare. It is currently attacking my scar nicely :( as well as everywhere it can possibly fit itself!!

Sorry... this is why I haven't dared to write before... as you have guessed I can 'waffle' for England!
    Well... long story short... Drs now think its PsA. Started my first dose of Methotrexate Friday night. Not a happy bunny yesterday but feel less sick today.... So glad to read on here how those who also take it manage, it deffo helps ;)

So thats me. I work full-time in a job that I love, but have been off sick since March because of all of this. I have been helped so much by my wonderful Husband especially this year, both physically & emotionally. I know its been so hard for him to see me like this. Our two daughters (19 & 23) are still at home and were use to 'Mum' doing everything. This Arthritis had such an impact on all of us, in so many ways.
    I keep thinking that I've got to 'grips' with this... then 'it' decides to move the barriers again! lol

Thank-you for taking the time to read this,
    Jackie
  • sarahthornton
    sarahthornton Member Posts: 44
    Hi all, I am Sarah and I'm 29. I'm married but as yet have no children. I have had RA for 3-4 years and am struggling quite a bit at the moment but we're hoping to start a family soon, in which case it will all be worth it.

I am a teacher, working full time in year 3. I have been given a full time support assistant who is a god send as I couldn't do my job without her. If there are any other teachers out there who haven't got one please ask to be refered as you can get lots of things to help. I have a new chair too!

I live in a village just outside Lincoln and have been here for almost 4 years. We have been married for 5 years and I am very lucky to have someone who looks after me so well as there are lots of things I can't do by myself.

I often come on here and am amazed by the strength and determination of lots of people on here even though they are in pain 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Sometimes I would like others to know what we are going through, only for 5 minutes so they know I am not making it up!, but it really helps that there are so many people on here going through the same things and still smiling, and still being successful in their lives.

Well done folks, we are all superstars!! xx
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Hi all,
    I'm Rosie I'm 23, married with 2 boys ages 4 and 14mths. I was diagnosed in 2005 with RA. I'm really starting to suffer badly at the moment and am hoping this site will help
    x
  • wenders
    wenders Member Posts: 3
    hi im knew to forum. my name is wendy and im 39 yrs old. had ra since october 2004 .live with my oh and my son who is 19 and my daughter who is 17 and my four cats.since my diagnosis my joint pain has worsened from feet and hands to almost every joint below my neck.was medically retired last summer from care job which i loved and miss.huge blow to confidence as i worked since i was 16. been on various meds failed on one anti tnf and had allergic reaction to another now back to methotrexate in injections .been watching this forum for months and oh has finally persuaded me to join as i can relate to so many of your posts take care
  • fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    Evening all, been watching this and thought yes your turn.
    I'm Gill, live in Sussex, with hubby and 2 year old daughter.

Had RA 10 years + been rough since I had my Daughter. On the Mtx now hoping it gets better than this though as still in pain and wiped out, grrr.

Not working at mo which is a worry/stress. Hoping to get well enough to get back to work even though it won't be the job I loved for 20 years.

Enjoying the support and network of you guys, take care.

Lovely to chat to you and see you soon x
  • sassysore
    sassysore Member Posts: 17
    Hi, my name is Lesley and I have been diagnosed with OA in my hips and knees and probably lower spine and hands. I am quite new to the site. Only been here a couple of weeks, so be gentle! I take 60mg Morphine twice a day to dull the pain slightly. Have just (Tues) had a full body scan and have to go in a few weeks for the results. Am fed up of the pain. Cant walk very well and sleep seems non existent (hence its 3.51am!)
    I have a wonderfully caring hubby who I have been married to for 2 years and without whom I dont think I could manage. Together nearly 5 years. I also have nearly 19 year old twins. A boy, Thomas who works full time in the IT industry and is doing well for himself. He still lives at home and is a very caring individual and helps out all he can. My daughter, Lianne, is studying towards her PhD in Chemistry at Manchester University and I miss her so much!! Only get to see her every other weekend and I have definitely missed all the help she gave me.
    This site has been a godsend and its great to know that I am not the only one in so much pain.
  • vikki75
    vikki75 Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,

My names Vikki, I havent been on the site for a while as I dont computer acess at the mo so rely on my brother-in-law when I can get to him.

Anyways, Im 33 very happly married to Stuart and have been for 15yrs, we have 4 great kids, Tim 15, Ben 10, Eleanor 8 and Kristoffer "Kit" 4 whos just started school.

I have rheumy in most joints worst been hands, hip and neck, I also have Fibromyalgia and am due to go on a drip soon to help with my pain management anyone else had this??.
    I take hydrocholoquine, anti inflams just changed and cant remember the name!, oxycodone sr and immediate release, and venloflaxin.
    I was awarded middle rate disability living just yesterday "hurray!!! :lol: " back dated to march .

Cant think of anything else so I shall be off, hope to catch up with you all soon.

Gentle hugs to all, hoping your having a good day

Vikki
  • lynnemarie
    lynnemarie Member Posts: 37
    Hi I am Lynne

32 years old, married with 2 children, 3 and 7 one of each.

I have Sero neg arthur, was originally suspected in 1995 - but diagnosed in Dec 07. - my worst areas are lower back, shoulder, jaw, 1 toe, and basically feeling tired and run down.

I'm on sulfa, take diflofenic every now and again, i have a v low hb level.

Have good days and bad days, but try and not let it get me down, i have just started aqua circuits - which i enjoy, i really love spending time with my children, cats (and OH sometimes!!)
    x :lol:
  • hazelm
    hazelm Member Posts: 25
    Hi I'm Hazel and I think I'm the "grannie" on here as I'm 60, and feel sooo much older some days, I have R/A and O/A and also suffer with fibromyalgia,I am taking Enbrel injections, once weekly,co-codamol,and amitriptylene.I am married for 41 years,and have 2 daughters,and 5x grandchildren, and our latest addition, a dog, she's 14 months old and a real pal to me when this blooming arthur really gets me down. I have trouble with my hands, feet , knees and this year had a major operation on my neck, from which I'm still recovering,and have been "off" work since Feb.,Like all of us on here, I think, without this forum to read about others in the same position I'd really feel alone and it really does help.
    hugs to all xx :)
  • ozziegirl
    ozziegirl Member Posts: 3
    G'day All...

I am a forty something wife and mother from Australia.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed almost 20 years ago.

I live on acreage out in the bush with my hubby and teenage son who finishes his final year at school in just a few weeks, he has plans to go to university next year.

I lead a very quiet life, am no longer able to work and spend most of my days home caring for an ever increasing number of abandoned animals.

I look forward to getting to know you all more, it is so nice to be able to talk to people who understand just how my life is.
  • shezza
    shezza Member Posts: 39
    hi
    my name is Sheila i am 44 and i live in the Oldham area .
    I was diagnosed with Soft Tissue Rheumatism last November ,i am currently on 150 mg Diclofenac, 50 mg Amitripyline and Co-codamol as and when needed.
    I have had three lots of steroids since November 2007,they have helped me for a while However i am still in variable levels of pain daily.I have had a lot of probs with joints on the right hand side of my body and i am also right handed .
    i have also had sciatica,anemia,and a slipped disc.
    i attended physio for the sciatica and the slipped disc and also shoulder pain. The physio helped with the sciatica and the slipped disc but when i attended physio for my shoulder i was told the pain im having is caused by the soft tissue rheumatism and that the physio couldnt help me with that.
    i have found that this group is a fantastic group ..its great to feel as thou others actually understand as opposed to saying things they want you to hear .
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    hi,im elaine im 47 and live with my 2sons aged 22 and 24.i have a bf but we dont live together.i live in north lincolnshire.i was diagnosed with RA when i was 29 had a few ups and downs since then.my rhuemy now thinks i have PA and not RA because i have sausage fingers(his words not mine)lol.im having a bad flare up at the mo,im waiting to start humira in the next few weeks.i do have psoriasis only on my scalp so i know how lucky i am in that respect......i like listening to music and working on my garden when i can.
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    i am 60 year old lady i have had r/a for 28 years i have had 2hips replaced 2elbows 2shoulders 1knee 4knuckles joints in left foot removed and waiting for ankle sugery in january.one of my drs said i was not to worry they have the technology to re build me they are having a dam good go at it.i have a wonderful oh 5 kids 11 grandkids 1grt grandson good days bad days i still feel lucky to be alive someone is allways worse than you i am happy i love my pewter love the forums i am in.i know i am in good company. :):):):) pauline
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    hi i'm lizzie,
    i'm 32 and have had ra for 3 years, i count myself pretty lucky as the mtx worked v quickly for me just a bit of fatigue really now, though the quick diagnosis was def a help, since i'm an osteopath i basically went to the gp and said i think i have ra- think she was q pleased as she was only training at the time and could have been a nightmare patient otherwise!!
    i have managed to continuje to work which was abig worry at the time as my job is so manual, anyway i horse ride regularly and keep as active as possible as i think it really helps to keep my muscles strong to support the joints. i take glucosamine/chondroitin/msm and omega 3 oils, my scan at dx showed a little damage to the wrist and a couple of fingers but last year my 2nd scan showed no damage so i'm sure the supplements and exercise helped with the healing process.
    have been married for 3 months now :)) after 7 years deciding on it! and we hope to have a family in the next couple of years- though obv takes lots of planning what with my work etc.
    nice to meet you all, keep smiling!
  • tweedie
    tweedie Member Posts: 70
    Hi I am Joanna,
    I am in my mid 50's , have Ra and Oa , had both knee caps removed whilst in my 40's , arthritis is spreading have reynards, dry eye etc syndrome and now high blood pressure , take all sorts of medcines , have been on morphine patches for a few years, I live in East Yorkshire , I have a good Rhumy and a caring GP who is very young !!!. The arthritis drugs have caused all sorts of problems over the years , but you just battle on !!!.
    I have had arthritis for donkeys years - thought everyone hurt like I did , thought my pain was normal.
    I am married to Bob , who is my carer , who now also has arthritis as well as other health problems , we try to get on with life and not dwell too much on the downsides of things.
    My nickname on here is tweedy , which is our lovely cockerspaniels name .
    Joanna
  • pagirl
    pagirl Member Posts: 4
    Hi I'm Sue, age 54 & live in Essex. Married for 33 years to a lovely man & have 2 grown up daughters aged 29 & 25. Also have 2 dogs, Golden Retriever & a Lsa Aphso.

Diagnosed with PA in July/ August. I HATE this disease !!! I was very active before & feel like I have hit a brick wall with this. Very frustrated & despite that I am a very positive up person it does get to me sometimes & I am irritable beacuse I am so uncomfortable.

Have had one hell of a year as diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in January but have got that well under control it barely affects me except I check my blood sugar 2 - 3 times a week. TBH the diabetes was a doddle to get under control unlike this vicious thing.

Trying desperately to find a way to make this better without succumbing to drugs but have to use analgesia as some days can barely move without it.
  • circuitmarshal
    circuitmarshal Member Posts: 8
    Hello I'm Pete,
    I have my bus pass, and have been living in Sunny West Sussex for just over 3 years.
    Been married for 33 years, have one Son and Grandson, back in Berkshire.
    I have O/A in my right hip which has become worse over the last year.
    For some time I have been getting up 15 - 20 min earlier in the mornings as having Asthma I was getting a bit out of breath first thing, as moving around is a struggle.
    It's been there a number of years but I just put it down to old age, then had a couple of weeks in our lovely wet summer the pain was keeping me awake at night.
    So then I thought it was time to see the Doctor. :cry:
    At the moment I take Naproxen 3 times a day and Paracetamol 4 times a day, seems to work OK apart from wet days.
    But this being Sunny Sussex we don't get many wet days! :!: :lol:
    Guess your thinking he goes on a bit so I'll stop now. :mrgreen:
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Hi, I'm Mark, 53 years old, been married for 32 years with grown up children. Been falling to bits for many years now, I seem to spend all my time waiting, waiting for doctors/consultants/professors/receptionists/nurses/scanner operators/x-ray lady/casualty/locums/the lady who licks the envelopes to send us the next appointment to wait for.... the list goes on. Did I forget the lady who gives you the black look when you get to reception? More than made up for by the delightful young lady who works the scanner!

Well, on to more important things, I enjoy sailing, motorbikes, fishing, all when the weather is nice, I spend the rest of the year waiting for the weather, its a common theme, waiting.....
    8)
  • yvonne56
    yvonne56 Member Posts: 1
    I hope I am doing this right - well here goes, I'll type and send and see if it lands in the right place lol!! :o

My name is Yvonne, I was born in 1956 - and it doesn't take two brain cells to understand why I chose my login name as Yvonne56 - its so I can easily remember it :lol::lol:

I was medically retired nearly 3 years ago, arthritis played a significant part in that despite being supported in the workplace by 'Access to Work'. Since then I have mentally struggled with feeling I was on the scrap heap - had a bit of breakdown, smashed my car against a lamp post last year and was diagnosed with depression, but am fine again now thanks to the loving support of my family and the care from my GP and regular pill popping :)

Apart from OA (diagnosed in 1996) and depression, I suffer from COPD, thrombophilia and have had PE once and pleuresy twice. Thrombophilia isn't really a condition its a genetic condition which gives me an added 8% predisposition to making blood clots. When I got my PE it gave the same symptoms as a heart attack and was scary - it was with having treatment for it that my condition was discovered!!! Sometimes I feel like a walking (hobbling) time bomb.

With the medication for OA and pain killers I have developed a rather delicate tummy and now have even more pills. :cry:

I dont gain weight very easily either -don't say 'oh you are lucky I wish I was like you', it is as much a weight problem to me as any one trying to lose a pound or two. If I have a bad week with pain I can lose 3-5lbs and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it back -and doing it with awareness to all other healthy dietry requirements -cholesterol, sugar, salt etc etc I get supplements from GP to have with all meals. You probably have heard of them - its either Fortisip or Fortejus. I have no preference, like all the fruit ones fortunately.

So I thought I'd just say a hello to everyone, have a read around and post now and again. It's good to know that you can talk to someone who REALLY understands what its like to suffer from arthritis. Its not obvios without having it tattooed on your forehead - so many disbelievers out there :!: :!: :!: They don't always realise how derrogartory their comments are sometimes either!!! :roll: :roll:

Well thats me done for now. Back soon Love to all xxxx
  • bettieboop22
    bettieboop22 Member Posts: 9
    hi, first day on the site! :lol: I'm 43 and have had RA for 10 years. Am divorced and have 4 children (3 still at home). I do still manage to work, only part time for the last couple of years and for the last few weeks on reduced hours till my meds are sorted! Am due to start Rituximab on fri (28th Nov).
    I love keeping busy: reading, cycling, walking (with my gorgeous dog....a springer) love the theatre, cinema, meeting friends and generally just being sociable.
    Am looking forward to getting to know lots more people with arthritis through this site :)
    Bye bye, Anita x
  • steve1
    steve1 Member Posts: 18
    Hi My name is Steve and live in Stoke with my wife and two kids 22 and 24. I was diagnosed with o/a in my hip 6 months ago..I have good days and bad days..I also had a decompressed Ulnar nerve. had the operation, and developed reflex sympathic dystrophy (RSD)
    And have never experienced pain like it..I see the consultant early Dec. and hope to get some pain relief.Be nice to get in touch with others and look forward to any help or suggestions..Regards Steve
  • paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I'm Pat, I'm married with two littl'uns and I'm 54. That's a ballpark figure.

I was diagnosed with RA a couple of years ago and have had loads of fun with it ever since. My helpful rheumatologist and I are trying to find the right medication for me – I've had some fairly dramatic reactions to the ones I've tried so far. Methotrexate was a nightmare, for example.

I live in West Sussex and, when I'm not staring ruefully at the garden, I try to earn a crust as a writer and editor.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, this is just to let everyone know that I have changed my user name from Jasperalty to Jasper Cat from today, but I am sure most of you know me from before I changed my name love Jasper Catxxx
This discussion has been closed.