Slightly belated intro post

Options
stralachlan
stralachlan Member Posts: 40
edited 19. Jun 2009, 04:53 in Say Hello Archive
Oops - just spotted this intro forum, I've already posted a couple of times.

I'm 35, an engineering project manager, and an avid scuba diver.

I was diagnosed with OA in my right knee 10 years ago. This was following an operation to remove loose bodies (bone & cartiledge) from my knee when I was 17 due to osteo chondritis dissecans. Unfortunately it took 8 months to get the diagnosis. My brother had the same problem a few years before me and because they didnt beleive it was hereditary it seemed to count against me as my old GP refused to beleive I could have the same problem. I now have far more problems than my brother does.

I've spent the last 10 years ignoring the pain, but I cant do that any more - its hurting every day to walk the 300yds into work from the car park and I'm doing less & less and getting frustrated. I've just had my knee Xrayed again and last night my GP confirmed that I will need a TKR, but he's not in a hurry because my age will mean 2 revisions are likely to get me through.

That said, he is sympathic. I've been on codeine (co-dydramol) for the last three weeks which helps but I cant scuba dive using that (one of the few activities I can still do without pain - along with cycling). I'm now on diclofenac to see if that will work as I can dive on that. I'm waiting to be given a physio appt as the next step.

My GP also mentioned Birmingham knee resurfacing as a possible surgical option - I assume this is different to a partial knee replacement (which I thought was just one side rather than the both sidesin a TKR). But I cant find much information about it - just for hips. Can anyone point me in the direction of more info?

Many thanks in advance, it really helps to talk to others in the same boat.
Mary

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mary

It may be a good idea to post your question about the Birmingham knee resurfacing on the LWA forum because more people will view it there.

I remember your name, having had a TKR myself a year or so ago.

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi and welcome!
    i have had a birmingham hip resurfacement but sadly i know nothing about the knee one, but yes posting on the living with forum should get you more help!
    sue