New and unsure

jackieellis
jackieellis Member Posts: 9
edited 4. Aug 2009, 06:52 in Say Hello Archive
Morning everybody. This is my first posting and I'm not sure what to say! I have just been diagnosed with OA in my right knee and at the moment it's really painful - I didn't realise it would be this bad! I'm trying to convince myself that it could be something else and will disappear. Any way I'm 51 have 2 grown up children and 1 granddaughter who is just brilliant. I work full time as an assistant transport manager and enjoy what I do. I've been looking at the site and am totally impressed, there is just so much information and I'm sure it will be good to "talk" to like minded people and be able to pick their brains.

Comments

• jackieellis
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi jacki welcome :) i also have OA and both my knees are rageing rite now ;) jan x

Any ideas on how to ease the pain?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jackie
    Welcome from me!
    Pleased to meet you!
    Have you tried those heat packs? You pop em in the micro - they can really help beleive it or not and if it does you can buy things you stick on or in a bandgae which can be better as you can carry on with your activities.
    curaheat? I think get em from tesco.
    Obvioulsy there are loads of painkillers like paractml which prob won't toug=ch it. Then you can have para and codeine from chemist. If you need stronger GP is the only place to get them from.
    Also anti -inflams like ibuprofen (over the counter) if you have inflamation.
    Ice packs can also give releif for some people too. Make sure you put a teatowel on your knee first though.
    Rest as much as poss and do the range of movement exercises on this site.
    OK will shut up now!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • jackieellis
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Jackie
    Welcome from me!
    Pleased to meet you!
    Have you tried those heat packs? You pop em in the micro - they can really help beleive it or not and if it does you can buy things you stick on or in a bandgae which can be better as you can carry on with your activities.
    curaheat? I think get em from tesco.
    Obvioulsy there are loads of painkillers like paractml which prob won't toug=ch it. Then you can have para and codeine from chemist. If you need stronger GP is the only place to get them from.
    Also anti -inflams like ibuprofen (over the counter) if you have inflamation.
    Ice packs can also give releif for some people too. Make sure you put a teatowel on your knee first though.
    Rest as much as poss and do the range of movement exercises on this site.
    OK will shut up now!
    Take care
    Toni x

Please don't shut up I feel I need all the help I can get right now. You're dead right paracetamol don't touch it and I can't take ibuprofen because I'm diabetic and it interferes with that medication. I'll try the heat packs. I'm using a cream at the mo that my doc prescribed. Apparantly it's made with chillies and it burns a lot although that should get better. Not sure where this pain should be but at the moment it all around my knee including the back. I feel as though I should just on with it because there are a lot of people much worse off but at the minute (maybe because this is all new to me) I wometimes feel quite scared! Now it's my turn to shut up!!

Jackie xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jackie
    Absolute terror!!! That's what I felt, dispair a sense of hopelessness and such greif :( The worst thing was not being able to think about anything else - I think I bored my kids and hubby to tears!
    That's where this site comes into it's own though - they kept me up during the darkest period of my life. For which I will always be grateful!
    I get the two bob bits with anti inflams :oops: So have a cox 2 one called arcoxia? Might be worth seeing if you can have that.
    Go and buy a wheatie from the chemist and try that - it might just be what you need.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jackie,

I am glad you found the site it is so good to have a bit of support from time to time and just know its not just you.

Toni has given you some very good advice there, I also have oa in a few places but I had to have tablets from the doctors and have found they help.

As to terror, oh I know that one! My way of life is def under threat but usually I keep it under control cus I wont lose it today, and I also haven't really given an inch to the arthritis though it take a lot on a bad day I still work just slowly and I am doing things that need doing but not much else. What I am trying to say is it gets better in time. You except it and find your own levels and maybe they can give you a TKR and help so much that you will find it easy. I hope you will soon feel less worried, it take a bit of time but once you have processed it all it gets easier. Take care, Cris x
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi Jackie, welcome to the site. It is a great place to find info and support.

Deb
  • jackieellis
    It's nice to know there are people out there, sometimes I feel I'm on my own and other times I think I should should just get a grip! I have a feeling you'll be seeing quite a lot of me on these boards, so if I can apologise in advance for any queries that seem stupid. Thanks.

Jackie xx
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    Hi Jackie,

I'm new here too and have OA in various parts!! After I had an operation on my toe I was told I'll probably need ops on my knees and hips at some stage. Deep joy!! Anyway, I like to keep fit to try and keep my muscles strong so I go to a jazzercise class a couple of times a week - you can do low impact which is just as good, and I'm also considering cycling. I've had less pain in my knee since excercising.

I'm not suggesting you rush out and start excercising - get advice first. But it works for me and I'm determined to delay the inevitable if I can.

I don't post on here very often, but I often log on to see how everyone is doing - they are all so nice. Just like one big family.

Keep smiling!

Pheebs x
  • caroljf
    caroljf Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all..... I've been told I have OA in both my knees. I'm really glad I found this forum as I'm sure my husband must be fed up of my ooh and aah every time I stand up !!!! It's good to know there are people who understand what it's like. Not much help from GP apart from "there's not much we can do about it". I'm in my early 60,s but still thought it was a condition older people got.....21 in my head !!!! Must go now and get off to work.

Best wishes to all
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    caroljf wrote:
    Hi to all..... I've been told I have OA in both my knees. I'm really glad I found this forum as I'm sure my husband must be fed up of my ooh and aah every time I stand up !!!! It's good to know there are people who understand what it's like. Not much help from GP apart from "there's not much we can do about it". I'm in my early 60,s but still thought it was a condition older people got.....21 in my head !!!! Must go now and get off to work.

Best wishes to all

Hi Carol

Welcome! That sounds like a pretty normal response one can get from a gp :roll: :lol: At least you are still able to work. :D I have had one total knee replacement and look forward to having another in the not too distant future. It has transformed my life!

Hope to see you posting on the other forums, when you have the time. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Welcome from me to. I have R.A (and a bit of OA according to my consultant).But I know that ooh!Ahhh! from the pain in my knees very well. I used to rock back and forth on the settee in order to get enough momentum to stand up in the early days then I gave up sitting on the settee altogether because it was so painful trying to stand up.
    Luckily my knees have improved over the last couple of years( i dont know why)alyhough the pain has moved elsewhere.It was also difficult trying to sleep and I had to put a pillow under my knees to lessen the pain.

Take care and keep postin
    Tkachev.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein