Slow, slow..... where's the quick, quick gone?

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 31. Oct 2009, 10:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Why, oh why am I so slow? :?

I used to dash around like nobodies business, set or clear a table in minutes, tidy a room in the blink of an eye, have the vacuum back in the cupboard before I'd finished thinking about hoovering and could blitz a room in half an hour.

This morning it took me an hour just to clear the draining board, fill the washer and tidy the kitchen and believe you me it wasn't really a mess. :x

I understand I walk more slowly when I hurt but even on good days I'm so slow at everything and it drives me demented. :x :x

Oh to be able to rush around like I used to and never seeming to get tired - I get so frustrated with myself. :roll:

Are you a tortoise too wishing you were a hare?

Luv Legs :|
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Legs,

Oh all the time Flower all the time! Maybe we will be able to find a faster pace one day? Now chasing the daylight hours and getting so, so , so slow...... :? Never mind for me it will soon be lighter :wink: Summer you have hours to do everything but now.... Half my work is done by torch light and you know its taking me hours to do what used to take minutes..... Sorry I should be supporting you :roll:

I'll race you to the next post :wink:

A ((( ))) and you look after yourself'

Luv

Cris who is now back to the tortoise speed to get finished :wink: xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Legs, this at least made me laugh, but boy, am I with you.

I'm so slow a geriatric snail could overtake me. In the time it takes me to 'make' the bed (duvet) and 'tidy' the bedroom (pick up two pairs of socks for the washer and put my jacket back on the hanger) I could have cleaned all the bedrooms thoroughly and be sitting down with a cuppa!

It's maddening, frustrating, and it makes me sick!

luv
    Annie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Yes, it seems I am very slow these days, I don't notice it so much when I'm on my own, but when I have my o/h with me, as I do because its half term this week, I feel like a snail when we go out. Yesterday we went to the shops and had to walk down the road a very short distance. He hopped out the car and away, I was still trying to open the heavy door whilst swearing, I hope, sofly. He was walking at, he said, a slow pace and I couldn't keep up with him, he slowed down, but I could tell it was hard for him.

My ironing seems to breed in the basket these days and I spend more time sitting looking at the carpet than cleaning it! If something is at the top of a cupboard, well forget it!

Life in the slow lane - but at least I'm still here to moan!
    Love Sue
    ps excuse me, I seem to have lost the spare bedroom - haven't seen it for months - better not to look, too many cob webs!!! :oops:
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Isn't there anything that you enjoy............done at a more leisurely pace??? :oops:

Speed isn't anything......................Is it?? :shock: :shock:

Rob the hare......err tortoise.
    Roba045.gif
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Oh guys, this has at least put a bit of a smile on my face :)
    I don't know about going slower...........at the moment i'm in reverse! Luckily my husband does everything for me and i am off work sick at the moment as i just can not cope with anything.

Thanks for the smile though
    :)
    Carol x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Hey, it's more like life in the bus lane - they keep stopping all the time, too!

Rob - yeah, lots of things - but they can be done only after the housekeeping. I'm desperately trying to alter my mind set, but it's difficult after all these years! :wink:

Luv

Annie
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Legs

I'm there too or I could be a snail depending which is slower :) Only seem to do 1/2 a job these days, hubby does most things and is so much quicker, only thing is men don't clean like women but I'm training him :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    I am also a member of the tortoise club, it can be so frustrating.

We are a very elite club.

Anne
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Me and you both Linda
    and plenty of other peeps too by the looks of it.

Kath xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Everyone, I have joined the tortoise club too, I was out with Malcolm in my wheelchair today, and some old people were walking faster than me, I wish I could rush around as I used to do, no stopping it now love Jaspercatxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    oh boy this is going to be a very big club!!! me too! :roll:

I have days when I achieve all day what another day has taken me a couple of hours.

Some days I seem to be more like a snail - and have the weight of the world carried on my shoulders, but others not so much.

At least when I go slower I notice things I would sometimes miss in my rush. The flowers in gardens I walk past. Wildlife I pass whilst walking the dog. People I stop and chat to because i need the breather but who cheer me as well. That is a bonus.

I too have much older people dashing past me, but I think 'so what' now, and take the 'pretty way' round rather than the direct route.

And yes, I do know that the shopping trolley in Tesco was designed for the shopping to go in, but it really does make a great support for my aching limbs as I lean on it :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Another signing up to the tortoise club!

I can vary so much each day it's unbelievable. Some days I have to keep up with a manic 3 year old and then collapse in the evening, other days I phone my mother/father/brothers/<insert random person> for help with her.

At the moment it's really stressful as we're selling our house and I HAVE to keep it tidy all the time. I can't get hubby to realise that 1 hour in the morning before I've got myself moving isn't enough to clean the house before a viewing! He will have to stop leaving junk all over the place.

Oh well, lets keep plodding on, one foot after the other. :)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    robertls wrote:
    Isn't there anything that you enjoy............done at a more leisurely pace??? :oops:

Yes, Rob, I think I know to what you're referring :wink: ............. but even that's a rush at the end :shock:

Luv Legs who's as shameless as Rob :lol::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    lindalegs wrote:
    robertls wrote:

Yes, Rob, I think I know to what you're referring :wink: ............. but even that's a rush at the end :shock:

Luv Legs who's as shameless as Rob :lol::lol::lol:

:oops: :oops: If only you knew......

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi everyone.
    Iused to hurry every where untill i tripped over the lead to my sisters scoota and broke my hip this was nine o clock at night the doc came and gave me pain c and he said i think you've pulled a mussle after a month i got fed up with the aching i went to the doc he sent me up the hospital and i'd
    fractured it so i had to stay in hospital and i had it screwed and after a year i had the screws out as they were comming loose so then i had a new hip
    that was 13 years ago and its still going strong and i've still tripped over,
    the thing that stopped me last year was arther
    now i cannot hurry if i wanted to.
    i've have c palsy but it took arther to slow me down.
    sorry if it's to long my life has been a laugh
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx