Meds Advice

lauramuk
lauramuk Member Posts: 11
edited 3. Nov 2009, 16:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone hope your all well! :)

Just after a bit of advice. Ive been to the hospital today after having alot of stiffness etc and the doc has put me on (its a long one! lol) hydroxychloroquine sulphate.

Has anyone else had this and if so any benefits/side effects?

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Laura, I take this (plaquenil also known as). It has reduced my fatigue. I have been on it since Jan.

You should have an eye test before taking it. And then one yearly. I take mine in the evening with dinner to minimise side effects and it has worked. I had a few headaches to start with but they disappeared as I got used to it.

Hope it works for you.

DEb x
  • lauramuk
    Thanks Deb :)
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Laura, I was on this drug for about 2 years, I had no side effects at all, but it didn't do anything at all for me, but make sure you have your eyes tested regularily while on it, it can affect your eyes, ideally you are supposed to have an eye test before you start, but I wasn't told love jaspercatxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was told it was a drug for malaria.I have been taking it for a few years but I dont think it made a difference.I am still on it despite this.Hope it helps you....
    Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lauramuk
    Thanks everyone. Had a look around about the med and not many people seem to rate it but i suppose everyone is different so i'll give it a good try!

Wondered if anyone knew if i can take diclofenic while im on this? Forgot to ask the doc! :roll:
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Hi lauramuk,

My Mum's been on this for about 3-4 years. She says she hasn't had any side effects but it took a long time to work. She does feel better but she says it took a good 12 months for the drug to start working for her.

Hope it helps you.

Sally.