Will You be Watching the Opening Ceremony?

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. Jul 2012, 05:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
I for one won't. I used to but as time as gone on they have become more over-blown and ridiculous. I'll see the highlights on the news somewhere, that'll do me. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Just highlights.mig
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Sorry No , Not my cup of tea .I will try to see if i can catch some hockey as we sponsor some of the lads , and maybe some fencing as my boss fences .xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh I will DD

childishly maybe but I will be there :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    no not for me
    seeing it on the news will be enough for me..
    georgie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Nope. Having a BBQ. For someone who loves sport, I won't even be watching much of the Olympics - not while there's a Test Match or a Superleague match to watch elsewhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    No, sorry to be a party pooper I just think that the money could have been better spent. I am sure that is an unpopular view, but in the middle of the recession I find it a bit hard to accept.

On the other hand I have no wish to spoil anyone elses fun and will no doubt at some point tune in. I just hope that the games do boost tourism and business investments, and do leave a 'legacy' as promised.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Definitely watching it ; but mainly in the hope that the forecast storms will happen at the most inopportune moment ! Won't be watching the olympics themselves though , just think the opening will be disastrously comical . Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    yes if can get telly controler of oh who says we not lol will not sit threw all of it though
    val
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    No.
    I think the whole thing is an obscene waste of money.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    i'll be watching from early morn to late at night if my children will allow me. Might stop to make the odd cuppa.

Elizabeth :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh I cant wait to see it...have been watching on and off today...I have done lots of grumbling over the amount they have cost....but I am really looking forward to the opening ceremony...and the rest of the games come to that..
    Love
    Barbara
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    I will definately be watching. Our athletes put in so much hard work it will be nice to see some of them win medals. Dont think the opening ceremony will be anything as spectatular as Bejiing, though.

7worlds
  • suzygirl
    Guess who is sat here watching it? :oops:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    loving it . but oldest says it an embarrassment
    val
  • suzygirl
    Val, love it too!

Daniel Craig, the Queen, Rowan Atkinson and fab music, what else could you want? Oh yeah, David Beckham sailing down the Thames :D

Total Cynic, converted and I am amazed :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Ye gods. I've seen the (mercifully) brief highlights on the TV news. How much did that showing off cost? And for what? Kudos? It's not worth the money. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    There are a lot of arguments against the games, spending billions on a few thousand professional, paid athletes is obscene but I'm out there doing my bit despite my misgivings.

I can only say that I'm as caught up in it as everyone else, I would not want us to put on a bad show.
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    We watched it - all the way through. I am pleased it all went without a hitch but I found it all a tad confusing and my feeling overall is that it was an uncomfortable mix of spectacular and excrutiating. What I really didn't like though was the way the GB team were behaving in the parade -very little dignity compared with the other teams (they could just as easily have been a group of lager louts on a drunken night out) and I found that embarrassing. But I thought the olympic cauldron thing at the end was absolutely fab.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Felt proud to be British. Amazing. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Only saw clips on the news,thank goodness I didn't watch it all.Mig :roll:
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    fowls48 wrote:
    Sorry No , Not my cup of tea .I will try to see if i can catch some hockey as we sponsor some of the lads , and maybe some fencing as my boss fences .xx
    Yes I watched it, it was ok, could not compare with any others as its the first one i have watched :oops:
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I just loved the opening ceremony. Everything brilliant except McCartney at the end, who is well past his sell by date.

The bid for the Olympics went in 7 years ago. No-one knew we would be in a recession. Anyway, it is basically paid for by sponsors and manned by volunteers. Go Britain!
  • dreamdaisy
    Ummm, I think I'm right in saying that the humble British tax payer has 'raised' the millions required - the sponsors will pay for advertising, ensure they sell their shoddy food and frothy drink at some expense in the arenas and in not putting their fat corporate behinds on their empty block-bought seats. The settings are great, the competition too but the administration anything but. DD
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I have it on good authority the sponsors have paid huge sums towards the costs and it wouldn't have happened without them. I know quite a few people who are volunteering and the atmosphere in London is great. The place is heaving with tourists which must be a good thing for the economy.

I'm surprised you are so negative about it DD. The opening ceremony was incredible; sophisticated, witty, clever, quirky and fun with masses of references to all kinds of British talent - from Blake to Brunel to the arts to the NHS, and more. I would have thought you would have really enjoyed it :?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    salamander wrote:
    Anyway, it is basically paid for by sponsors and manned by volunteers. Go Britain!

I don't think so. That was the idea but then the recession came and they mostly pulled out and left it to the good old British taxpayer.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/04/price-of-london-olympics

As for admin, it is scary how many gaffes were predicted on BBC2’s spoof series Twenty Twelve – the starting pistols which could be converted to fire live ammo, the countdown clock which gave up the ghost 24 hours after the same thing happened on the TV prog, and the buses which got lost en route from Heathrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright