Can you lead a full life after a TKR.

Options

Comments

• barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Heard yesterday that the time for my op has been moved from the morning to the afternoon, at least it's still the same day, Feb 12th, can't wait to get it over with and start my recovery.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Fingers crossed that all goes well, Barry. I've started coming back here again, since TKRs are something I know a bit about, so hopefully I can add to the huge amount of support I know you'll receive on these forums.

Tip No 1 - for impatient people like you and me, it's a long haul, but well worth it. My TKRs have given me my life back! Try to think in terms of weeks and months, not days. And....do your exercises.
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Good luck for the 12th Barry.

Now the snow has gone and the sun is out, I made my first foray out on my bike - I cycled the route to work, then turned round and went home again (my husband came with me on his bike to make sure I was okay). It was only 30 minutes total, but my knees were both comfortable the whole time, and in general I felt better balanced and safer than I was pre-surgery. Just got to get a bit fitter as I was gasping for breath at the top of the hills! (Just as a reminder, one new knee is 24 weeks old and the other 9 weeks old).

So, cycling to work starts tomorrow (might not do it every day at first) and I'm looking forward to not having to hang around to be picked up at the end of the day!
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Barry

I too think the goal you have set yourself for the cycle is just plain crazy, sorry! Your body won't be anywhere near ready and you may find there are twists and turns you didn't expect, I certainly found that and felt quite ill for some time after my operation...
    Also there is a bloke in out town who had a new knee same time as my dad had a hip, 9 years ago and had another knee just last year...At the time he had too many visitors, was very loud and boasting he would recover quicker than everyone else, he even sneaked alcohol into the ward giving my dad minatures which he didnt want...Well now i hear this bloke has gone skiing with his new knee and I think that is showing scant respect for the surgeon's work as this is one of the whorst things to do post TKR..The guy is a know it all, won't be told.....Please don't do the same as him and undo the surgeon;s good work...
    Ironically I had to laugh at helenbothknees telling you to slow down, she certaainly didnt and didnt like it when others suggested the same to her...!

Elainexx
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    "Ironically I had to laugh at helenbothknees telling you to slow down, she certainly didnt and didnt like it when others suggested the same to her."

And they were wrong! I never actually overdid things, listened to my own body, and did just as I was told - which was that if it doesn't make your knees swell up or cause excessive pain, it's probably fine. I think my recovery proves that for MY body and MY knees I was right. Maybe not for yours, but for mine, OK? And what I didn't like was people giving advice to me when I hadn't asked for it. Barry asked, which is different.

And just for the record, I haven't heard that skiiing is a problem. I was told that the only things to avoid were high impact exercises such as running. and I asked about things like that.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Helen

You did ask advice about driving on here and then it all went a bit pear shaped, exception was taken to someone's comment and it wasn't appreciated....If that wasn't asking for advice then why post it?
    If you also think skiing is fine and its not high impact then we must be in a different parallel.

Elainexx

And they were wrong! I never actually overdid things, listened to my own body, and did just as I was told - which was that if it doesn't make your knees swell up or cause excessive pain, it's probably fine. I think my recovery proves that for MY body and MY knees I was right. Maybe not for yours, but for mine, OK? And what I didn't like was people giving advice to me when I hadn't asked for it. Barry asked, which is different.

And just for the record, I haven't heard that skiiing is a problem. I was told that the only things to avoid were high impact exercises such as running. and I asked about things like that.[/quote]
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Different surgeons have different ideas on what one should/should not do after a TKR. Some say ski-ing is ok others not for example. I was told by my wonderful surgeon that I would not get more than a 90 degree bend and I would not be able to kneel. I proved him wrong on both counts and told him so with a twinkle in my eye and he was happy for me.

In the end it is up to the individual to try things post knee op if they so wish and see how they get on. I do not claim to know anything about ski-ing but I would have thought that perhaps some of the moves may not be too advisable.

I was able to cycle on the exercise bike quite early on but I was nervous of using my bicycle only because of the fear of falling off and doing damage to a wonderful new knee so it took me longer to pluck up courage to "take to the road" post op.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Elaine, I think you're mixing up different posts of mine and different replies, but I really can't be bothered to go back and check; it hardly matters now. For the record, I drove round our private car park four weeks after my op, including an emergency stop and numerous gear changes, and I had no problem at all. I didn't start driving on public roads for a lot longer because I couldn't get a straight answer about insurance issues; that's all. To my knowledge the insurance aspect is all I ever asked about on here. Why would I have asked about something I knew I could do easily, safely, and without pain?

Elna is correct about surgeons all saying different things; I specifically asked about skiing and was told it was OK. Do I think it's high impact? What I think is irrelevant actually. A quick internet search reveals that there's a lot of disagreement about skiing and various other sports after a TKR; it's not as cut and dried as you seem to think.

I was told more than a 90 degree bend was unusual, but when I asked if that was a limitation of the new joint, I was told it was designed to bend right back, but most people didn't manage it. Like Elna, mine bends far more than 90 degrees; I can almost sit back on my heels, though not quite. Similarly with kneeling; some people can't do it or find it uncomfortable; it's fine for me.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Well if your'e insistent on splitting hairs, think you knew exactly what I meant and as said advice or whatever split hair you want to call that now was given and for some reason something was taken wrong way when the post had been requested in the first place....But hey that happens
    Sticking to my guns on the skiing and I would say anyone who does that is indeed not doing the surgeon's work justice.....Dont think it takes rocket science to work that one out...
    Ive had my say and still stick to what I've said...

Elainexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Four things strike me about this very interesting 'debate'.

1. What constitutes a normal life?

2. Prior to replacements one cannot do what one is used to doing, so ergo life is no longer normal.

3. Post-replacement everyone heals at varying rates and expectations differ about what is normal and what is not.

4. The original poster is a bloke, ergo his normal is hardly relevant to female normal. Can I ride a bike? Yes. Can I ride my bike home? No, not just yet, we need to see you do stairs first. :lol:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barry2013
    Options
    I didn't mean to stir up so many comments, I am finding all the comments really helpful, I am not going to do anything silly, but I know I am going to find it really hard to stay indoors, but of course I don't want to damage my new knee. I need things to aim for even if I don't make them. if it takes me a year to 18 months fair enough. I will keep in touch with you all after the op and feel sure I will need your support. My partener Jim will also keep me on the straight and narrow.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    You do seem to have unwittingly managed to stir up a hornet's nest, Barry :lol: I think goals are fine as long as they are flexible. Setting some goals in conjuction with your physio (you'll have one post-op) would probably be helpful and sensible. I promise you we'll be here to support you, post-op. Mind you, I suspect Jim will have his work cut out to keep you on the straight and narrow :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Its a forum Barry and everyone has an opinion or view so don't see anything stirred up...
    I just hope your new knee goes well and you have good support with your partner and hopefully your GP, consultant, physio....
    Let us know how it all goes?

Elainex
  • barry2013
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Four things strike me about this very interesting 'debate'.

1. What constitutes a normal life?

2. Prior to replacements one cannot do what one is used to doing, so ergo life is no longer normal.

3. Post-replacement everyone heals at varying rates and expectations differ about what is normal and what is not.

4. The original poster is a bloke, ergo his normal is hardly relevant to female normal. Can I ride a bike? Yes. Can I ride my bike home? No, not just yet, we need to see you do stairs first. :lol:

We both took early retirement to enjoy a fit and happy retirement, we met just a few years ago, so we were really looking forward to a life together, I was able to cope quite well up to November when things got bad, I am very lucky to get a TKR so quickly and there is no way I am going to waste it, I am going to work with my doctors etc and hope that in time I can start to enjoy retirement again. Not sure if my normal is the same as a female.
    Barry.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The TKR is designed to do just that and it will. If your partner cares about YOU then it won't affect a thing between you. Defining a full life is not easy but it will for sure be a darm sight more comfortable and you will be able to do more than you currently can. Be a patient patient and all will be well. I haven't ridden a bike, danced, swum, walked without aids for years now and never will, so make sure you do the best you can with what you are getting. You will be mended - what's not to like? DD
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Barry, I'm not sure what 'normal' is either, but I thought you might like to know what I was told by my consultant at my final checkup, 8 weeks after the TKR.

He said to do everything, any sports I liked except high impact, and when I asked what those were it was basically anything that included running. He told me: "Your job is to try to wear out those new knees. You won't, but if you do, we'll replace them. Don't feel you have to treat them gently".

That's advice from an expert, probably the best knee and hip surgeon in Derbyshire.

You cycle 50 miles? Probably a piece of cake. Just maybe not in three months time, but who am I to say?
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    I'd just like to say to Barry, if you are fit and if it wasn't for your knee, would be able to cycle 50 miles now, it may well be possible 3 months post TKR. I still think it would be pushing it, but I have only my own experience to go by. I'm overweight and extremely under fit, and I've only been cycling back and forth the two miles to work for the last three days, but my knees are both doing really well, no adverse effects and they are coping a lot better than my buttock muscles!

The main thing to bear in mind is that post TKR all your quad muscles and all the ligaments and tendons around the knee, and to an extent the calf muscles are extremely traumatised, and the physio is aimed at getting them all working properly again and preventing scar tissue forming inside the knee - the knee itself is metal and plastic and shouldn't have any mobility problems once the swelling and soft tissue injuries (caused by surgery) have gone away. Once the scabs from the scar have healed, massage it with bio oil, this will help keep the scar flexible and make it easier to bend.
  • barry2013
    Options
    Barry, I'm not sure what 'normal' is either, but I thought you might like to know what I was told by my consultant at my final checkup, 8 weeks after the TKR.

He said to do everything, any sports I liked except high impact, and when I asked what those were it was basically anything that included running. He told me: "Your job is to try to wear out those new knees. You won't, but if you do, we'll replace them. Don't feel you have to treat them gently".

That's advice from an expert, probably the best knee and hip surgeon in Derbyshire.

You cycle 50 miles? Probably a piece of cake. Just maybe not in three months time, but who am I to say?

Helen.
    Thanks very much for your comments, I hope my Doctor's are as good and understanding as yours are. If it's ok with you, I would like to keep in touch after my op.
    Barry.
  • barry2013
    Options
    chookgate wrote:
    I'd just like to say to Barry, if you are fit and if it wasn't for your knee, would be able to cycle 50 miles now, it may well be possible 3 months post TKR. I still think it would be pushing it, but I have only my own experience to go by. I'm overweight and extremely under fit, and I've only been cycling back and forth the two miles to work for the last three days, but my knees are both doing really well, no adverse effects and they are coping a lot better than my buttock muscles!

The main thing to bear in mind is that post TKR all your quad muscles and all the ligaments and tendons around the knee, and to an extent the calf muscles are extremely traumatised, and the physio is aimed at getting them all working properly again and preventing scar tissue forming inside the knee - the knee itself is metal and plastic and shouldn't have any mobility problems once the swelling and soft tissue injuries (caused by surgery) have gone away. Once the scabs from the scar have healed, massage it with bio oil, this will help keep the scar flexible and make it easier to bend.

Long distance cycling was my sport, I use to cycle up to 8000 miles a year, maybe that's why knees are now worn out, up to November I was still able to do 100 miles a week. I can now do a ride of 10 miles once or twice a week, I suffer afterwards, but for me the joy of being out in the fresh air outwieghs the pain, I am going to use a lot of willpower to take it easy, but the thought that maybe next year I will be able to cycle once more will get me though, although the day's of doing 1400km rides in 90 hours are over.
    Barry.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Barry, of course you can keep in touch. The main reason I keep coming back to this forum is to pass on my experience to people like you. Apart from that, I have no reason to be here, as I no longer have arthritis, yippee!!! (Excuse the cheering, all of you who can't be cured that easily, and I do drop back to see how you all are and say hi too). If you need a reply in a hurry, send me a pm.

Long distance cycling wearing out your knees? I don't know, but in my experience it's possible. I was a long distance walker - 5,000 miles round the coast of Britain in 1986/7, and a Guinness Book of Records entry. (And a book, Midges Maps & Muesli, still available on Amazon or from me if anyone wants a copy). After that several long distance footpaths etc etc. Then in the late 1990s I found I couldn't do that anymore, and slowed down. The doctor I saw then said he thought I'd worn out my knees with all the walking. Things weren't too bad until a couple of years ago, when they quickly got a lot worse. I'm back walking, though no long distances yet. But in the future, who knows? Long distance walks aren't banned; I asked! And you may get back to....anything. I would say don't give yourself impossible challenges, but don't put limits on what you might be able to do in the future either. Though I suppose you should ask your doctors about the really long distance stuff; I'm not an expert.

Back to what caused knees to wear out, I know several really athletic types who've ended up with OA at our sort of age - a friend who climbed, rowed, sailed, all at very high level; a competitive bodybuilder, and several others whom I can't think of right now. Seems like perhaps exercise isn't always as good for you as they say! Moderation in all things, as my mother used to say, perhaps?

Talk later, whenever you want.

Helen
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cycling is a low-impact exercise joints-wise so I cannot see why getting back to doing what you love is going to be harmful to the new joint. You won't be able to do it straight away and it may take anything up to a year to be able to cover the distances you would like but the point is you will be able to do so, you will be able to achieve it, you will be able to come back on here and tell us how well you are doing so as to give hope to those who will be facing this op in their future. You are in the wonderful position of being able to be fixed so go get fixed. Simples. DD
  • barry2013
    Options
    Went into hospital today for my Pre-Operation assessment, swab all over, blood taken etc, given loads of information all very useful. Only 11 day's to go till the big day when I get new knee, can't wait really, then the hard work start's. Will keep in touch.
    Barry.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Will cross fingers and toes that all goes well...chances are it will. Remember, start the exercises you're given ASAP after the op. Hear from you soon.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Here's to a neeeeeew you, Barry. :)

I wish you well. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barry2013
    Options
    Barry, of course you can keep in touch. The main reason I keep coming back to this forum is to pass on my experience to people like you. Apart from that, I have no reason to be here, as I no longer have arthritis, yippee!!! (Excuse the cheering, all of you who can't be cured that easily, and I do drop back to see how you all are and say hi too). If you need a reply in a hurry, send me a pm.

Long distance cycling wearing out your knees? I don't know, but in my experience it's possible. I was a long distance walker - 5,000 miles round the coast of Britain in 1986/7, and a Guinness Book of Records entry. (And a book, Midges Maps & Muesli, still available on Amazon or from me if anyone wants a copy). After that several long distance footpaths etc etc. Then in the late 1990s I found I couldn't do that anymore, and slowed down. The doctor I saw then said he thought I'd worn out my knees with all the walking. Things weren't too bad until a couple of years ago, when they quickly got a lot worse. I'm back walking, though no long distances yet. But in the future, who knows? Long distance walks aren't banned; I asked! And you may get back to....anything. I would say don't give yourself impossible challenges, but don't put limits on what you might be able to do in the future either. Though I suppose you should ask your doctors about the really long distance stuff; I'm not an expert.

Back to what caused knees to wear out, I know several really athletic types who've ended up with OA at our sort of age - a friend who climbed, rowed, sailed, all at very high level; a competitive bodybuilder, and several others whom I can't think of right now. Seems like perhaps exercise isn't always as good for you as they say! Moderation in all things, as my mother used to say, perhaps?

Talk later, whenever you want.

Helen

Hi Helen.
    You have been quite a walker, back in 76 I did a weeks walk with someone I guess you know John Merrill the first person to walk round the coast of Britain, I have walk sereval of our Long Distance paths as well as a north/south walk across Iceland and over a couple of years knocking off 70 munros in Scotland, Skye is one of my favourite places. this along with the cycling and working in engineering for 40 years, As my GP said prehaps I did a bit to much, but boy was it fun and hopefully there are some more fun days ahead. I guess like yourself we both enjoy the outside active life.
    Barry.