Windows!!!!!!!!!

numptynora
numptynora Member Posts: 782
edited 27. Apr 2013, 09:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Has anyone had a problem with *Microsoft Windows callers*?

I have had several calls from 'Microsoft' in the first few calls they told me that I was running an illegal copy and that it had a number of viruses in the back ground, they insisted I switch it on and they would guide me through with instructions on how to get rid of the said viruses! I refused point blank to which the female got very confrontational so I put the phone down, a couple of days later a man rang with the same 'speech' this went on with three more men calling. Now I'm getting very irritable with the whole thing and ended up by having a row with the last one, telling him in no uncertain terms to leave me alone.

I have just had another call saying I should sit infront of my computer and follow his instructions, to which I said NO, and said he needs to tell me where he got my number from. Oh dear he didn't like that question and went on to say that I will have to expect my computer to crash and there would be no way I can rectify it, this WILL happen in the next half an hour.

I am so fed up with foreigners telling me what to do with MY computer!! grrr
Numps x
Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Are you sure it's not a scammer, I'd not trust them an inch if your not 100% sure who they really are. And DON'T under any circumstances give them ANY security or personal data they ask for, if you do your asking for trouble.
  • numptynora
    I think they think they've got a daft one with me ,mellman, but I do treat them as if they are trying to scam me. I would never give anyone any personal info, especially if they talk to me in broken English!!!!....I can't be doing with them
    Numps x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Its definately a scam Numpty and has been doing the rounds for years. Do not follow their instructions as they will gain access to your computer and therefore all your personal details. Just put the phone down.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • numptynora
    tkachev wrote:
    Its definately a scam Numpty and has been doing the rounds for years. Do not follow their instructions as they will gain access to your computer and therefore all your personal details. Just put the phone down.

elizabeth
    I thought it was, Elizabeth, I'm not as daft, I did try and look up the phone number that showed up but no luck...hey ho
    Numps x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Genuine people don't ring you at home. If they call again (and they probably will as they now know that you answer) tell them that the authorities are tapping your phone and tracking their details. They probably won't trouble you again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Most definitely a scammer, they can gain access to your computer with your aid and to your passwords and hence your bank accounts etc etc.

I suggest you don't even talk to them, just put the phone down. Pass any information to the police, not that they do much! Information Commissioner may do more?
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Depending on my mood I do one of 2things; I ask which computer as we have several or I pretend to be interested, ask them to hold the line and put the phone on the side and carry on doing what else I was doing! Waste their time as much as they waste mine!

Love Kate x
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    NEVER.....reply to these. If you require assistance ask for it. NEVER click on things of this nature, you'll find it hard to get rid of.
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Please Note:-

I was contacted by these people saying they were from Microsoft and asked certain questions, I hesitated and decided to ask them to ring me back as it was inconvenient...I telephoned Microsoft personally and asked them what is was about, he said it was a SCAM as Microsoft would NOT ring anyone as it isn't their policy to contact anyone by telephone.

The guy rang back supposedly from Microsoft (Scammer) and I told him that I had reported his Tel. No. to Microsoft and the Police and he hung-up, never heard any more from him.

Local Police said they had heard of it before saying to ignore any more calls...obviously.

John x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Unsure,
    Just a word of warning, the people administrating the 'warm grants' and the firms involved may well have grants to use. Can't remember the details but I had a chap come round and do a survey and then install some insulation under the scheme.
  • numptynora
    Thanks for all your replies, I really am NOT stupid, I answer the phone because it rings! and as far as giving any details to anyone, well,.....pft

It is odd though, my 'puter has been so unpredictable the last two days, it nearly took to the air straight out the window this morning.
    Numps x