Ice packs

Options
irenegreen
irenegreen Member Posts: 2
edited 25. Jul 2013, 18:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been told that putting an ice pack on the affected parts will help. Is this true? :?:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It depends on what sort of arthritis you have. If it's an auto-immune involving hot-to-the-touch joints then yes, they will help. If it's osteo then usually heat is more beneficial. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I find ice packs wonderful for swollen joints. Some people prefer heat, although it's not advisable to put heat on hot, swollen joints. I'm an ice sort of girl, find it very soothing. :)
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Think DD is right about heat for OA. The only thing which really helps me is a warmed wheatbag, which unfortunately in this weather is definitely out, but fine when it is cooler.Beryl
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Before my TKR's (required due to OA) I couldn't get out of bed in the morning until I'd "iced" my knees for 20 minutes each (thank goodness for a hubby willing to go get them!). The physio suggested heat would help more, but heat made the pain worse. So, maybe I was just different, but ice packs helped me considerably pre TKR, and still do when they're feeling a bit "throbby". I managed to find some quite large (nearly a foot square) gel filled reusable ones that call themselves physio packs (that's not the brand), that can also be microwaved and used as heat packs. They are plenty cold enough after only 40 minutes in the freezer, and as a tip for anyone with knee problems - I hold them in place with tubigrips.