I can see the carpet in the ground floor front room.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. Oct 2013, 13:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
Believe me, it's been hidden for months. :oops: When things went haywire in April it became the general dumping ground for all sorts of things, stuff from his Ma's house, stuff from my Ma's, my rubbish - sorry, treasured possessions - various bits of clothing, stuff that I kept forgetting to iron because it was in the front room yadda yadda yadda. Back in June I created a path to the printer but latterly that was getting filled in.

No longer. Mr DD threatened to start and that was the spur I needed. I have shunted, heaved, shoved, stuffed, carried, dropped, recycled, loaded Daisy and am now collypopsed on the sofa. I can, however, see vast swathes of old brown carpet. I will vacuum it tomorrow, after further throwing out etc. Does anyone want my collection of Winnie-the-Poohs? I've been given them over the years by pupils but now they can go. Arthritis Research will receive a bin bag of soft toys.

Crikey, I feel tired. :( DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Bet you're exhausted , DD , but also a bit smug ; it's always satisfying when you've completed something like that ! Sit back and rest now and recover from a job well done .
    Jillyb
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    edited 27. Oct 2013, 13:31
    Well done DD! You deserve a big hand clap and restful evening. Bring on the wine! It does feel good when everything is tidy though eh!

I know the feeling, as a machine embroiderer I throw nothing out however small, fabric, paper, beads, paint, wrapping paper etc. my house is full to brimming, nearly every room( I have 4 bedrooms)! :oops: On top of that I have 6 sewing machines :roll:

Last week I grudgingly sorted out fabric I thought I didn't want and put it out for charity. Well I couldn't bear it and I had to sort through it again taking stuff back out just in case. I will have to let someone else sort it or I will never get cleared.

How about giving me a hand or two to sort through it all?!! :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Tired but happy I call it....you have worked hard there, so you deserve a nice glass of wine tonight to celebrate.... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    A job well done I'm sure, here's hoping not a job well done on the joints though. I think a night with the feet up and a sherry or two(medicinal of course)................well done, you must be feeling really pleased with yourself...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :shock: :shock: :shock: You would chuck out Winnie? That has to be ursicide or some such :lol:

It sounds like a good plan, DD, and quite how you managed to get through all that work I have no idea. I feel shattered just thinking of it.

I'm with Marie. Well done, feet up, wine poured and definitely bottoms up :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    You have done well. Bet you feel pleased and satisfied. A good rest now with your feet up. The hoovering will keep for when you're ready.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your lovely replies but I confess that I am neither pleased nor satisified. I still have a way to go but at least I have made a start. I have plans for much of the stuff which needs to be cleared but my teaching gear? It's out of date but I will keep the most used bits and pieces because they are of true worth. In case I go back to it. Maybe. Perhaps. Might do. :(

Not working was a relief when there was grief and Ma's house etc to sort but now I am not so sure. What I am sure about, however, is that work is beyond me. Acceptance, yes? Or being defeated? I dunno. :? DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Don't think it's either DD. If it was defeatist you wouldn't have hesitated to chuck the work things, and as I see it not getting rid is keeping your options open rather than refusing to accept you won't be able to use them again. If and when keeping them becomes a source of distress, as a reminder of what you have lost rather than what you still have, then is the time to reconsider. You have had more than enough to deal with, put this one off for a while?
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh, Daffy, what kind words and thank you. I loved my working life (I began my tiny business two years before the arthritiis struck) and was more than willing to battle on but now? Nah. Enough is enough unless it's an adult who needs help . . . . . For children it should all be in place (as if :roll: ) but for the adults who 'lost out' in the 80s and 90s there's very little assistance. If I can help then I will but only once we've moved. I've thought about this all evening and I know which bits of kit I will keep. They're basic but so are many of the important parts of life. DD
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Well done for tackling the front room, DD. You will get a sense of achievement when it's all cleared eventually.

I hung on to my teaching gear for ages after I retired, just in case I needed it again. It came in handy from time to time when I did a bit of supply teaching, but then OA struck so I knew when the time had come to stop. Luckily, my daughter had become a teacher by that time, so I gave it all to her. I'm pleased that she is still using some of it now, and has used quite a lot of my ideas too.

It's a nice idea to help adults once you have moved. My OH used to teach Latin, and nearly gave all his Latin books away when He retired. However. he is now teaching Latin to a group of very keen older people in the University of the Third Age (U3A), so he's glad of all his books.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Whow! You just motivated me to do the same. Perhaps tomorrow! :) Congrats for a heroic effort! You should be "damed" for a seemingly gargantuan work! (Dame Dreamdaisy- what a sound!)
    And I think the idea of teaching again is brilliant. If you are up to it. Always found you a bit youngish for retirement :)
  • dreamdaisy
    I am paying the price for my efforts. Hey-ho. Stuff that usually hurts is hurting more and stuff that doesn't usually hurt is making its presence felt. Time for a quiet day, methinks. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    caliban wrote:
    (Dame Dreamdaisy- what a sound!)

Then she'd be DDD :lol:

DDD - rest up today. You've more than earned it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Blimey DD I'm surprised you can move after doing that, defo take today to rest up and recharge your batteries!! I must admit when you have a good sort out it gives you great satisfaction!! :wink:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    you have done a good days work now your body needs a rest.
    i bet the room looks good.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I won't say that it looks good, Joan, but it does look a great deal better. I still have some way to go, a huge amount of stuff to be thrown out, an old computer to have its disc cleaned and then taken to the dump, all the records of my ex-pupils to be shredded and so it goes on. Hey-ho, the spur of moving is encouragement enough - well it is, nearly. :( DD