Missed my appt

krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 2. Jun 2014, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
What an idiot I am I missed my last physio appt - got the wrong day. The physio has now gone on mat leave so I dont know what to do. I am still getting this clunking in my hip which is worrying me and the hip is beginning to hurt a bit in the joint. Back at work now on a phased return. I wanted to ask the physio how long I have to do exercises for as I am now 12 weeks post op. When can I bend down to put my shoes on and bring knees up ie when you want to turn the tap on in the bath when it is down by your feet. Am I ever allowed to sqat down? And what about bringing your leg over the mid line. Do you have to avoid this forever?? Please can you advise what you have been told.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Surely there will be a replacement for someone on maternity leave? Ask for another appointment.

As for the 'when's - I think my take on it will be different from yours as I have RA too but I still do my exercises every day, I use a long-handled shoe-horn for getting shoes on and an old walking stick for turning my lever bath taps on and off. Squats? SQUATS? Who needs 'em :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Please make another appointment because we are not the ones to advise on this - you need someone with 'hands-on' knowledge of you, yes? I don't move much at all but that's thanks to rubbish joints all over my particular shop. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • feeringsteve
    feeringsteve Member Posts: 16
    hi
    I have the same questions about hip,what you can do. I am only 4 weeks post op,still have bad pains in thigh when laying down and feels like got something in my pocket when sitting down. not sure ,if I can fully get back to work,as I work on construction sites! so not the best place to be.
    Steve
  • stickywicket
    This might help a little if you look at the one on 'Surgery'.
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

However, we are all different and, especially if things are not going smoothly, there is no substitute for proper medical advice from a physio.

In my time on this forum I've come to the conclusion that there are two ways in which the patient can mess up the smooth progress of a joint replacement. One is by doing too much, too soon and the other is by not doing enough to strengthen the muscles.

I think it must be tough for people who have a 'time limit' for getting back to work but these things won't be rushed. Please arrange to see another physio. Even seeing one privately would be better than not seeing one at all.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Thanks Sticky and DD, I rang the physio this morning and got another appt for wednesday. I was a bit worried they would say I have had my 6 appts I am entitled to under NHS as it was my fault I missed the last one. (it was private hospital). They were really nice about it and have put me with another physio.
  • stickywicket
    Good. Sometimes our worst fears are all in our heads. I'm glad they sorted you out so quickly. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright