Rheumatology rang.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Jun 2014, 10:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been a frequent flyer in that department for a fair few years now but - oddly for me - began to fret a little about keeping in contact when they altered the delivery of methotrexate (which is now handled by Alcura). Prior to this I would get my bloods done, rock up to get them noted in my little book, collect another month of stabbings, catch up with the news and share some laughs then toddle back home. No longer.

Nurse Sandra rang me yesterday because she had noted that, when raising my script for humira with HaH, I hadn't been seen in clinic for some time. I had to agree; my last appointment was in October 2013 with my consultant, then I was told they would contact me with a new appointment in the January with a nurse (that is the usual pattern, see the consultant once every six months and in between see a nurse). I didn't notice in January that they hadn't because my broken upper left humerus was occupying me somewhat. :wink:

Anyhoo, she announced that she had a cancellation on June 02 for 12.30 so would I attend? I said yes because there are matters I wish to raise with them although they are not entirely PsA related. I also have to return to rheumatology on 05 June for a DEXA scan (I'm being recalled after my January tumble) and then today I received a letter (purportedly from my consultant) saying that I am low in Vitamin D (no wonder) and advice on where to source it.

So, I hear nowt for seven months then off I go on two days for two separate things. Just as well I'm retired, yes? :wink: DD

PS Pocket duties are not required, it's all routine.
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I guess there's always one side of us that wishes we could pick up air miles for frequent visits but also another that is grateful for our absences being noted. I hope you feel rejuvenated with the Vit D :wink: You'll need the energy for all those hospital visits :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good luck with the appointments DD. You always find it is a hunger or a burst, good on the nurse for picking up you were overdue. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Hope the appointments all go well. Good that the nurse is on the ball.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD I will certainly be there, suppose its good the nurse has contacted you, and there seems to be so many short on vitD would you think they would start to test people like they do with the colestrol and such
    I hope the scan goes well and the results are good x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    It's like waiting for a bus :roll:
    You may not require pocket duties, but I might just hop in anyway, on the off chance you pop into the pub afterwards :wink:
    I hope all goes well,
    Numpty
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Hope it all goes well for you, DD.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    So, I've showered and shaved my legs, listed my topics for discussion, I've found my meth book and I've moved the rollator to the boot of the car because I have no doubt I'll end up in a normal parking space. After the visit I am setting off to the supermarket then returning home to hold the sofa in place.

Life is pretty miserable on the pain front so today's visit is well-timed. I am going to request more Xrays on my knees and ankles because I feel that the OA is more severe than it was three years ago and I would like visual proof to confirm that feeling. I will also ask for a referral to orthopaedics about possible knee replacements. I honestly don't know if it will be worthwhile seeing as how so many other bits are mucked up but it's worth asking, yes? DD
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Hi DD,
    Hope all will go well for you. You mentioned Vit D. My GP prescribed tablets (which you can't have on prescription, (no matter it's only a couple of £s) but then had an app with my Diabetes clinic and they phoned to say they (the results) were so low I should have a much stronger tablet. So now I am taking some neat little Vit D capsules.
    Hope you get some joy from your appointments.
    Fortuna
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    yes it is worth asking. if you dont ask you dont know. i wish you all the best. take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I'm coming along anyway,I'll go to the supermarket too and visit the wines and spirits department. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I honestly don't know if it will be worthwhile seeing as how so many other bits are mucked up but it's worth asking, yes? DD

YES. YES. YES! Just DO IT. DO IT. DO IT :lol:

It's always worth fixing what can be fixed. The rest will get worse anyway so get as many good bits in as you can :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Hope all goes/went well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your comments, everyone, it was a good appointment in some ways and not so good in others: I have spent the afternoon sprawled on the sofa dealing with the aftermath of the required prodding and poking. :( Twenty very tender joints, twenty not so bad (well they weren't until she got hold of them), negligible inflammation markers in my bloods but my right knee is somewhat plump and soft with fluid around the joint as well as above and below. She offered an aspiration followed by a steroiding. I refused. I can't cope with those at the best of times let alone more difficult times.

I have an Xray form to have my ankles, knees and hips pictured and I will do this on Thursday when I have to return for the DEXA scan. She set me up with more blood forms and said she will alert HaH that I need some humira. I told her there was no rush :wink:

I'm off to resume my slump. I feel rotten with pain yet still have to cook in a little while; mind you all that will mean is preparing some veg, we have the remains of last night's utterly delicious fish pie so it's not that challenging - if I tell myself this enough I might believe it. :lol: DD
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Enjoy your fish pie, DD! Hope that everything goes well on Thursday.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Ditto really. Rest well and take care
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Enjoying the fish pie is a given, it's one of Mr DD's master recipes. I've managed to do the veg but suspect the dishwasher will be brought into play later as I can't face standing to wash up. We'll see, some more cocos and another glass of summat white may change my mind on that. :wink:

I forgot to say that it's now official - I have Achilles tendonitis affecting both heels. Utter bliss. :roll: DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Aw, DD, achilles tendonitis. I'm going through that too at the moment. Couldn't move on Saturday, my feet are a mess too. Blahhh... :cry:

((()))Anna
  • Slosh
    Sorry to hear about the tendinitis. Must say though why bother washing up by hand when you have a dishwasher.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Because it's quicker and cheaper. There are only two of us in this house so why waste all that water? It's an enormous DW and ergo wasteful. I did it, old habits die hard and necessarily so. I live ergo I can wash up. :wink:

As for the tendonitis it's been in the left heel for some time so it's rather nice to be balanced. I hadn't realised it was there. :lol: DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    i have not had tendonitis is it a short time visitor or a unwanted long time one.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    The one in the left heel has been around for a couple of years now, the right has been troubling me but I didn't put two-and-two together; there- again I rarely do. :wink: I am one who gets used to a certain level of discomfort and is not that surprised when it's ratcheted up another notch or two. I have taken one diclo this morning and will do another this evening to see if that helps me achieve a quieter night.

I hope all is well with you, Sue, Lexi and Peppa. :) DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hope you do have a quiter night and a better day tomorrow (((())) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles