Pocket duties for Wednesday, please?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 27. Nov 2014, 03:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Off to see the orthopaedic consultant next Wednesday. I will be telling him that the steroid injection didn't work and that, even though I'm doing the physiotherapy exercises every day, I'm still in pain from my hips, plus stiffness in the morning and some fatigue. I'm also going to mention the pain from the osteoarthritis in my foot, knees and thumbs and will be asking him if I am to go back to my GP for further steroid injections in these areas, or if he will do anything. We'll see! :D I would appreciate anybody willing to hop into my pockets.

Meg

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Meg
    i will be there for you i hope it goes alright with out too many problems.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • kirst74
    kirst74 Member Posts: 72
    Hi, hope it goes well, good luck!
    Kirsty xx
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    OK, Meg, count me in Hope it all goes well for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    'Hopping' is out of the question :lol: but I'll clamber in somehow. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    You can count me in
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I will be there and I will give Sticky a leg up. :o Mig
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Meg,

Yes, I'm happy to hop into your pocket, with a bit of assistance :lol:

You sound very well prepared and I hope the appointment proves useful :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I'll be there!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Meg
    I'll be there as well
    I'm in much the same position......cortisone injection about 6 weeks ago.....it did help {not pain free but less pain} I think that's a result :lol:
    I want to know about more and how long you have to leve between them
    My appointment is Monday
    I also have the most awful pain in my ring finger....don't know whether that's arthritis or dupuytren's contracture
    I do have that....diagnosed about 5 years ago but was told there was nothing they could do until my finger started to bend towards the palm....could be that.???
    Anyway....I'll be in your pocket....good luck

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'll be there Meg, good luck with the appointment.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am sorry I am in hospital getting my treatment on Wednesday but I will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes for a good appointment. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Meg,
    Count me in. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    I hope it goes / is going / has gone well, Megrose :D
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Thank you all for your support. Luckily, I wore my big coat with big pockets!

He's a lovely man and very easy to talk to. He quite understood the overlapping pain I'm getting from the arthritis, the bursitis and my old slipped disc injury, which causes sciatica - all on the right side. As the other two injections hadn't seemed to make any difference we decided that I would wait until after Christmas and carry on with the physiotherapy exercises. He's given me an 'Open Appointment' letter, where I can ring anytime and get an appointment if I feel I would like him to try another injection. I'll see how I feel after the next physio appointment. So, I'm pleased about that.
    He wasn't very happy that I won't be seeing the physiotherapist again until January - that's a gap of two months - but they were fully booked, so nothing he can do.
    He is also writing to my GP and telling him we need to get my pain control sorted out. At the moment I'm taking Paracetamol, but it doesn't really make much difference, so, hopefully the GP will be able to talk me through further options. I mentioned wanting injections in my hands and maybe my foot and the GP can do those, too.
    Oh, and he gave me yet MORE exercises to do! I might just have time to eat and shower every day, in-between them all!
    So, all in all, I felt very pleased. He explained that surgery wouldn't help - he's an orthopaedic surgeon. However, I do appreciate that OA and bursitis can only be controlled by pain meds and physio, so them's the breaks, I suppose. I've used my fancy walking stick a few times and think I'm going to have to be brave and use it more often.
    So, I'm just typing this and then I'm going to begin my exercise regime. I may be some time! :shock:
    Thanks again.

Meg :D
  • stickywicket
    That sounds like a good appointment :D

Now, back to those exercises :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Meg
    That sounds like a good appointment.....very positive.
    A bit like mine about the injection {cortisone} come back in another 6 weeks and if I need it he'll give me one but if not I can leave it and come back later and have one.....It sounds a bit like your open letter.
    It makes such a difference when you have a good/nice consultant doesn't it.....take care

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    That does sound like a good appointment, I apologise for not being there but I had other stuff happening. It's sensible to use a stick because it eases the strain on your lesser-affected joints; you may feel self-conscious about it but, believe you me, the general populace are far too busy being wrapped up in themselves to notice - and you will still be expected to 'give way' to the pushchair which is barrelling towards you. :wink:

I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway: the stick should be held in the opposite hand to the worst-affected side as that gives the best support. If both sides are bad then two sticks is the better option, to be used alternately - I am a quadruped! :lol: I hope your exercises help, it is important to keep our joint-supporting muscles as strong as possible and this is one way we can do that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi Meg
    I use 2 crutches and one thing I was told was,to go into our shopping centre, buy a coffee, sit where you can see people moving about and watch them
    The amount of people with sticks, crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, or limping one way or the other isn't ordinary. :shock: I would never have noticed them until I was told to sit down and watch people.
    By the way the coffee isn't obligatory....just a seat for a while :lol:
    I wouldn't have noticed these people before looking specifically so no on will noticed you I'm sure.....I get noticed for coloured crutches and people wanting to know where I got them but that's good.
    Love

Hileena