Hello

Billylyne5
Billylyne5 Member Posts: 23
edited 11. Mar 2015, 04:57 in Say Hello Archive
It's taken me a few days to find the energy to write something.
My story
I started with odd symptoms in my hands which spread to my feet and ankles 18months ago initally I saw a neurologist who after many tests decided that it was probably idiopathic small fibre neuropathy he suspected that it could be auto immune related but said it may take time to show in blood tests.
Fast forward a bit and I had developed dry eyes and mouth and the joint pain was getting worse, finally refered to rheumatologist in January who suspected I had sjogrens but when I had negative blood tests she said no it can't be sjogrens and that she couldn't help me. I pushed her because my joint pain is a real issue. She agreed to do a ultra sound refferal, but she definitely didn't think it was going to show anything, well it showed I have synovitis in my wrists. I am now waiting to hear back from her as my GP said that this is arthritis.
I have seen an ophthalmologist who has diagonosed dry eyes and prescribed various drops etc for those.
So I am in limbo again but I think it's pretty clear that some kind of arthritis is going on.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Billylyne5 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator JK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think you're right, Billy, that you have some form of arthritis. Synovitis can, I believe have several causes. If you are diagnosed with osteoarthritis you'll be treated by your GP and if with an auto-immune form it'll be back to the rheumatologist.

Diagnosing different types of auto-immune arthritis can be very difficult. Usually it doesn't matter too much as the medication is more or less the same.

However, your rheumatologist doesn't seem to think you have Sjoegrens so maybe you simply have osteo. Or, indeed, something connected with the neuro problems. I'm sorry it's so complicated. I hope it can be resolved sooner rather than later. What medication are you on?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Billylyne5
    Billylyne5 Member Posts: 23
    I don't think its OA as there is no degeneration on X-rays and the fact that it is symmetrical in the small joints points more to other types
    However never say never. I just want it managing either pain wise or progression wise
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are in a bit of a limbo and that's never comfortable. Are you copied in to get the rheumatologist's report or will you need to see your GP once he has it? Either way, I hope you're not kept waiting and wondering for long.

I can think of at least two people on these forums who have both neuro and inflammatory arthritis problems and it does seem to make for a very cloudy diagnosis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright