Bone marrow oedema

Kirsty
Kirsty Member Posts: 5
edited 24. Mar 2015, 09:14 in Say Hello Archive
Hello! I've had inflammatory arthritis in my knee for 7 years now, and in my hip for about a year, but I was only properly diagnosed in January. I got the results of my mri scan yesterday which said I had inflammation and bone marrow oedema. I know what bone marrow oedema means, but I don't know what I means for me in the future. Does it lead to needing joint replacements? Is it treatable? I can't seem to find much on the Internet and my next rheumatology appointment isn't for another month. Any info would be great, thank you!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Kirsty from the moderation team.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here who have a wide range of experiences of arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome. I hope someone is able to answer your question, but if you don't get many replies can I suggest you post again on the 'Living with arthritis' forum.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Moderator AC
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome from me too :)

I'm afraid I can't really help. In fact, you're one up on me if you know what bone marrow oedema is :? I've never heard of it. It might simply be that nowadays, when we get copied in for scan results, we are actually being given more information than we have the medical knowledge to deal with. It might be that bone marrow oedema is perfectly normal with inflammatory arthritis. I'm exceptionally ignorant in these matters. I didn't even know my RA had led to OA until a TKR was suggested :oops:

You could try re-posting on Living With Arthritis as more people look on there. However, I think your best bet would be to make an appointment with your GP and discuss the results with him / her. Also, a month isn't too long to wait in the circumstances so you could also chat it over with the rheumatologist next time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright