Ankle Fusion - Screws removed

WJC1981
WJC1981 Member Posts: 2
edited 2. Jun 2015, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I had severe arthritis in both ankles that got so bad either replacement or fusion was the only answer. I had my right one done about 3 years ago and its been perfect, however I had my left one done in November and still get a lot of swelling and pain in it on say 3 days a week. I went to see the surgeon and he said in 6 months the screws may need to come out, I haven't heard of this before and was wondering if anyone on here has had this happen and how long it took them to recover and what it was like?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums WJC1981 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. As it's Sunday evening, it's just a bit quiet but I'm sure you will get responses shortly :D

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod B
  • jamart
    jamart Member Posts: 27
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I had a fusion op on my left subtalor joint on 5th January this year, my ankle is still swelling up although I have hardly any pain in it, it's more of an ache than pain. I have read about the screws been taken out if they are causing pain after about a year or so later, it said that they can be removed and the holes that are left just close up. I Carnt remember the site I looked on but try googling it am sure you will find something about it. Am pleased you have had no trouble with the right foot that you had done, I hope mine will cause me no trouble, it's lovely at the moment to be able to walk about without been in pain with every step!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and I don't think we have met so welcome form me
    This must be so scary for you, I think the only way to put your mind at rest is to call your consultants secretary and ask for another appointment, to have a chat about what they intend doing and what it involves I have done this with my back ,and the secretary was lovely and didnt mind one bit..I do wish you well with it...
    Love
    Barbara