I've had a full service & MOT!

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,598
edited 11. Jan 2016, 05:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've had my gallbladder pre-op checks done today.

The consultant was lovely, and explained thoroughly what the op itself involves, how it'll be done, etc. As there'd been prior concerns about my liver function - which had been cleared by a blood test in December - he wanted me to have an ultra sound as a precaution to make sure my bile duct wasn't inflamed. All okay.

This was done very swiftly (and even the gel was warm :lol: ), I returned to clinic to await seeing the nurse for the pre-op assessment. Slight snag was then encountered due to the meds I'm on and my couple of allergies so I had to have a full - 40 minute duration - check. Initially it wasn't thought it could be done in time before the op but the hospital pulled out all the stops for me and a lovely lady in the Appointments Dept., managed to persuade the nurses to "over-book" their clinics so I could be seen today as she could see how badly I need this op. They did do their "obs and swabs" check, plus height and weight.

Two high spots for me - firstly they were stunned when the realised I was 50! - secondly, between Wednesday's weight check at SW and me stepping on the hospital's scales I appear to have lost another pound in weight! : :lol:

Whilst I waited for the 40-minute full assessment, I went to the restaurant as I'd been warned I may have to wait a couple of hours and enjoyed a lovely jacket spud, with baked beans, side salad and a coffee.

Returning to the clinic I only had to wait 30 minutes and I was called in.

So today, I had an ultrasound, a consultation with a surgeon, saw a total of 4 (yes 4!) nurses for various checks, was complemented on not looking my age, found I appeared to have lost some more weight, had blood taken, obs & swabs done and during all this had absolutely wonderful service and help.

As long as the bloods don't show anything my op goes ahead on 16th, I have to be there by 7am, it'll be a morning operation and I should be home that evening all being well.

I'm knackered now.

GraceB

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 745
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That all sounds very thorough, Grace, and you must be so pleased to finally be on the way to getting it sorted.

I was given a date to have my operation (8 years ago, now) and then the hospital phoned to say there had been a cancellation and would I be available to have it done the following week. I was pathetically grateful and I don't think the woman understood just why I was so pleased!

I hope it all goes well on the 16th.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,165
    Blimey Grace that was good going, at least you will know if they pick up on something..you must have been so proud when they weighed you... :) hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery..x
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Wonderful, hope all goes well.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Here's hoping you have a clear run to the 16th, and that all goes to plan on the day.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    As I've had my gall bladder out and know what you have to look forward to, I want to wish you well and don't be naughty make sure you have a good rest afterwards for a couple of days or so!
    My operation was to have my gall bladder out and it was impacted with stones and a stone blocking close to the liver had to be blasted! so I had to spend 5 days in hospital after. But you are lucky to be a day patient. Fingers crossed the bed is available for you!

Who's Online

sunnyside2
sunnyside2
+4 Guests