I've had a full service & MOT!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 11. Jan 2016, 05:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've had my gallbladder pre-op checks done today.

The consultant was lovely, and explained thoroughly what the op itself involves, how it'll be done, etc. As there'd been prior concerns about my liver function - which had been cleared by a blood test in December - he wanted me to have an ultra sound as a precaution to make sure my bile duct wasn't inflamed. All okay.

This was done very swiftly (and even the gel was warm :lol: ), I returned to clinic to await seeing the nurse for the pre-op assessment. Slight snag was then encountered due to the meds I'm on and my couple of allergies so I had to have a full - 40 minute duration - check. Initially it wasn't thought it could be done in time before the op but the hospital pulled out all the stops for me and a lovely lady in the Appointments Dept., managed to persuade the nurses to "over-book" their clinics so I could be seen today as she could see how badly I need this op. They did do their "obs and swabs" check, plus height and weight.

Two high spots for me - firstly they were stunned when the realised I was 50! - secondly, between Wednesday's weight check at SW and me stepping on the hospital's scales I appear to have lost another pound in weight! : :lol:

Whilst I waited for the 40-minute full assessment, I went to the restaurant as I'd been warned I may have to wait a couple of hours and enjoyed a lovely jacket spud, with baked beans, side salad and a coffee.

Returning to the clinic I only had to wait 30 minutes and I was called in.

So today, I had an ultrasound, a consultation with a surgeon, saw a total of 4 (yes 4!) nurses for various checks, was complemented on not looking my age, found I appeared to have lost some more weight, had blood taken, obs & swabs done and during all this had absolutely wonderful service and help.

As long as the bloods don't show anything my op goes ahead on 16th, I have to be there by 7am, it'll be a morning operation and I should be home that evening all being well.

I'm knackered now.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That all sounds very thorough, Grace, and you must be so pleased to finally be on the way to getting it sorted.

I was given a date to have my operation (8 years ago, now) and then the hospital phoned to say there had been a cancellation and would I be available to have it done the following week. I was pathetically grateful and I don't think the woman understood just why I was so pleased!

I hope it all goes well on the 16th.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Blimey Grace that was good going, at least you will know if they pick up on something..you must have been so proud when they weighed you... :) hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Wonderful, hope all goes well.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Here's hoping you have a clear run to the 16th, and that all goes to plan on the day.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    As I've had my gall bladder out and know what you have to look forward to, I want to wish you well and don't be naughty make sure you have a good rest afterwards for a couple of days or so!
    My operation was to have my gall bladder out and it was impacted with stones and a stone blocking close to the liver had to be blasted! so I had to spend 5 days in hospital after. But you are lucky to be a day patient. Fingers crossed the bed is available for you!