Medication

Vandacarm
Vandacarm Member Posts: 2
edited 18. Feb 2016, 04:02 in Say Hello Archive
Having to decide between methotrexate and sulsfasalazine . Would appreciate any input on experiences with either or both drugs.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums Vanacarm from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod JK
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I take both. The meth is less 'invasive' in that its a few tablets once a week (best taken at night) whereas sulph is daily and usually builds to a twice daily dose. I've been on sulph since 2002 (my only side effect from that was bruising and I still bruise easily) and changed to injected meth due to a skin reaction to the tablets. I have no trouble with that at all although every now and again I feel very tired the day after the jab.

My experience is that the meth is slightly stronger so is more likely to help matters. Mind you I have a friend with the same auto-immune arthritis as me (psoriatic) and he is controlled on six sulph tablets per day. You won't know what suits until you try but whichever you opt for I hope it does enough. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hello,

I've taken both. Sulf did not make me feel very well with bad headaches and also caused a vestibular problem for me (I think this is a very rare side-effect). I no longer take it. I still take MTX and it makes me very nauseous but otherwise is ok. I have PsA.

It may ultimately be a case of which drug your body will tolerate or, which side-effects you can tolerate.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and welcome to the forum from me, sorry I wont be any help with the meds but I see the others have given you some advice..I hope to see your name around the forum..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've never done sulph. Taken meth for many years but it really does seem to be a Tweedledum and Tweedledee thing.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright