Renewing my BB.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 5. Mar 2017, 13:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am in the process of doing this and, until yesterday, I could not fault my County Council in their approach: I had a reminder email towards the end of January and began the process early last week (I expire in mid-March :wink: ). I went online, and did what I could there but rightly they requested proof of my higher-rate mobility DLA award, which I could provide by getting the official letter dated within one year.

This arrived so I went to present it at the local Registry Office for them to scan and add to my claim. I knew there was a BB space there and, because it was 9.30am, I reckoned it would be free. It was, sort of. A 'CAUTION WET FLOOR' type sign announced

PLACE RESERVED FOR VISITING DIGNITARY.

As it turned out the dignitary was not expected until 3pm but how lovely their chauffeur-driven motor was guaranteed a handy space so said dignitary wouldn't have to walk too far. Apparently there is a Citizenship Service every Wednesday at 3pm and a dignitary should be there. Whoop-de-doo.

I went to rheumatology on Monday and two of the six adjacent BB spaces were occupied by a mobile MRI unit. No-one cares, do they? 'Oh, it's only a BB space, I reckon they could walk if they could be bothered,' is the message I get from this casual disregard of our needs (which, sadly, is proved again and again here, there and everywhere). From my experience many BB holders can walk because they have differing conditions which don't need sticks or rollators.

It's an unjust system but life is rarely fair, let alone just. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Of course the dignatory couldn't use any other spaces! I always note when I go to my local Sainsbury's that there is a mismatch between the number of cars with blue badges parked in the disabled spaces and the number of people in the shop with obvious mobility difficulties
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I had good news this morning, I am approved and so submitted my payment online. I have to say the process has been very straightforward and I realise I am fortunate in that I had the confidence to do it online - it must be harder and more time-consuming for those without access to the web. I cannot remember for how long I have had my BB but it has to be over ten years - it used to cost £2 but that was way back when! DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Good news indeed! :D

The technology certainly makes life easier when it works well, though it makes shopping for stuff I don't really need but rather like the look of far too easy!!!!

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, I must admit I am pleased and relieved it's been so easily done. Not having one would certainly have an impact on my going out and about, that is the biggest normal but essential luxury I have left thanks to the physical depredations of the disease.

I know what you mean about shopping for things we don't need but rather like the look of . . . . :oops: In order to save myself a miniscule delivery fee I spent far too much on something we don't need but I absolutely adore . . . . :D DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm very pleased that it all went through smoothly in the end but the misuse of the BB space is simply inexcusable :mrgreen: Reserve a space, by all means, but why must it be the one disabled one? Not to mention all day :shock: Someone, somewhere is just out for an easy life and should be challenged. Complain. I would :x

Alternatively, do they know something we don't? Might we all be 'excused disabilities' on Wednesdays :running_dog: I can't say I've noticed any improvement on Wednesdays but maybe we have to apply for the day off :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Glad to hear that your BB process was easily sorted. I know some have a real battle royal to get theirs.
    I can renew mine at our local library, they have a video link and camera / copier, all very high tech, you just put the DWP award in the machine, they natter to you on the phone, take your picture by remote, week later, new BB. :shock: I always look like one of the UK's most wanted, with at least 5 chins. :? :lol::lol:

Don't get me started on people using BB parking bays and then literally racing into the shop, with their stick not touching the ground. I know we don't know what is wrong with another person, unless there is an obvious difficulty, but some are really misusing them big time.
    XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    That's worth knowing, thank you Bubbles for that useful tip! I am now using my other BBs (he Beige Beauties) as my hands have decided to let me know they are not happy; I was idiotic enough to change the cover on Friday (on a superking 10.5 tog feather duvet) which I managed to get wrong so had to wrestle with it for far too long. It's surprising how heavy feathers can be . . . . DD
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I will be going through this renewal process later this year so hoping it will be straightforward.

I totally agree with you Aidan and can't help wondering how many of these people have either "borrowed" a relative's BB or will be among those who will loose their badges/allowance come renewal? I know there are people where this happens who are genuinely entitled to this but...
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    TBH I was surprised that my application for renewal was accepted so quickly but I guess incontrovertible proof speaks for itself.

The 'trouble' with BBs is that they are awarded for all kinds of health reasons, just not mobility issues. I am grateful for mine because yes, it means I might be able to park nearer a shop, theatre or whatever, but I also need the room to extricate my rollator from Bea2: that's the crucial part! DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I do my BB application online, with the help of my techie Son, who takes and scans my photograph (saves me the usual £4 for photographs from a photo booth).

We have just had our special needs transport door-to-door changed to designated pick up/drop off places so the sensory overloaded and physically disabled children have to lump it. This is due to cuts of course but I bet the council allocated parking spaces for the overpaid top dogs remain in place.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Glad your BB is renewed and ready for when you can find a disabled parking space!! It really sends my blood boiling when disabled parking spaces are used for things other than a disabled vehicle.
    You where lucky to get a reminder it was due, I didn't!! It wasn't until I noticed it was out of date that I realised it needed urgently renewing!! It would be nice to get a reminder!! :?
  • dreamdaisy
    Again, credit to my County Council - they reminded me by text and email back in early January but I forgot to do anything about it until a month later! :oops: DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I don't have a BB because luckily I am still reasonably mobile most of the time, but misuse of disabled spaces makes me so cross. Hubby and I were at a local retail park last week when a clearly healthy guy leapt out of his car and ran into the nearby gym! His car was still there 2 hours later when we finished shopping and having lunch and returned to our car.....by this time the next disabled bay was occupied by a young woman in a large 4x4 with personalised plates..... hubby paused to look at her car and the obvious sign marking it as a disabled space whereon she opened her window and gave him a mouthful of obscenities-charmer! She then proceeded to tail gate our car off the estate and gesture in a most in-ladylike way....one can only hope that karma gives her just rewards in the fullness of time!!!!!!!

Deb x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Guilt can make folks defensive and aggressive, as you found Deb. Silly thing is that she could have lied to your OH instead - the fact she reacted as she did confirmed she was in the wrong.
    It's like using mobiles while driving though - so long as folks know they can get away with it most of the time then things won't improve. The different status of bays eg on private land and public doesn't help either;for instance if supermarket bays are advisory/reserved then even if staff do patrol there isn't anything they can do other than leave a note or speak to drivers.
    I saw a TV programme a while back about a council chap(traffic warden in effect although his role was a bit wider than that) who made it a mission to deal with abuse of disabled bays and blue badges. Some were long standing/repeat offenders, so he would find out who the badge holder was and who was actually using the car etc, confront them and issue penalty notices as appropriate. Local residents often helped by confirming length of stay, which days etc, especially when they found they couldn't use their resident's parking due to such people. A lot of what he dealt with was trying to get round parking issues when working in the city. As he pointed out for the most part these weren't people whose economic and employment circumstances meant that they couldn't find or use alternatives.
  • dreamdaisy
    I have it. We returned from a spell away for natal celebrations and I found my new badge waiting for me. I have read the guide (I always do) and put it in my car so I can prove to morons that I am allowed to park in certain places (most satisfying when White Van Man gives you a mouthful). I will return my expired badge tomorrow with a note of thanks for their excellent service. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Good news DD!

I'd always been advised not to leave my BB in the car due to the risk of it being stolen. Just shows how different areas give different guidance.

Hope it continues to make life a little easier for you (White Van Man permitting!).

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    Sorry for the confusion - I meant I leave the booklet in the car. The BB lives in my handbag - I figure if it is to be pinched it will be while its on display. DD