My Icarus Moment.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 31. Aug 2017, 16:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
It happened on Sunday. Some of our oldest friends were hosting a BBQ starting at noon and I decided that walking to their house (around a mile away, without using the rollator but taking it along for a sit down) was a good plan. As you may recall I've been working with a Personal Trainer, albeit for not very long, but felt that this was achievable.

I achieved it :D and boy, don't I know about it. :( I did not factor in the high temperature, idiotically didn't wear any kind of knee supports, had two sits (not too bad) and finished the walk using the rolly thanks to a short but steep descent. I also completely forgot about payback. :lol: Icarus aimed for the sun, I aimed for a house a mile away but the journey was equidistant. :wink:

I was over-confident but don't regret doing it. I know where I went wrong and will do things better next time - and there will be many next times. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What a silly thing to do, but then i'm guilty of such things (even though my OA isn't so advanced) and over doing it, only to suffer afterwards.

A memorable one, was when visiting the Lake District in glorious weather, I accidently got off a stop early to Ambleside, and thought to myself "it's such a nice day, i'll walk it". Well, it was a good 20 minute walk and had to stop atleast twice, and practically collapse in a cafe with tiredness. On the upshot, it server very nice paninis and tea :D
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    No regrets but just lessons to learn for next time, eh? I think it's totally possible to feel a sense of pride for a great achievement whilst metaphorically kicking yourself for overdoing it. Regardless, you are a wise woman and you do know your limits and I know you'll continue to make great strides...and great rolls. :wink: Rest up and let that body recover.
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Well done DD.

One should never stop chaffing at the bit..

The day I stop fighting will be the day I die...
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Wow! A whole mile :o And without walking aids :o

That's fantastic! And to Hades with the payback :lol:

I hope you toasted yourself when you got there. (I mean with a cooling glass or two, not on the BBQ :wink: )

Well done AC's own Icarus :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Wow! Get you. That is an amazing achievement even if the pay back afterwards is less than amazing.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Thank you for your replies, they are much appreciated. Having been on at least one stick since 2002 this represents a huge shift in my perception about my abilities. Things are considerably worse than they were then but so what? I knew I could cover short distances unaided but finding out I can go further is somewhat exciting. :)

I am not seeing my trainer for a while due to other stuff going on but I will carry on with the unaided walking over short distances, the stretches, sit-ups and the other exercises she has given me. Wish me luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben