Need advice on housing

frank50
frank50 Member Posts: 28
Hi please can anyone give me advice about social housing. I have a 3 bedroom house and live on my own and on May this year learned I have RA in my wrists and knees. Got my first steriod shots and feeling ok but I know this will wear of soon. So my social housing land lord rep is paying me a visit as I have asked for a transfer to a ground floor apartment or bungalow as I could not handle a stair case. Thing is Im ok at the moment with no swollen knees and know another flare up will arrive in the future. The first one was so bad I could not walk properly for 2 months and was doped up on tomadol. So how do I convince her I need this housing change as I hear they are a hard group to see compassion.
Any advice will be very welcome.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds quite scary, Frank, and I can understand your fear of being judged when you're on a good day by someone with no understanding of how steroids work.

I can only think that maybe Citizens Advice might be able to suggest a few pointers. And / or our own Helpline team here. I would imagine a letter from your GP explaining the fluctuating nature of your arthritis and how bad it can be would be an asset too. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am sorry, what a worry but I think you are doing the right thing in trying to prepare for the future. We are owner/occupiers, our first home was a three storeyed Victorian mid-terrace and our bedroom moved from the top floor to the first as I worsened. The stairs were too steep and narrow for a lift so finally we moved: disability is an expensive business.

My husband worked in social housing and he said various associations have differing policies and approaches. I hope yours is empathetic and can help in due course, the fact you are wishing to move to a smaller property may well work in your favour. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    About the housing, a lift might be available elsewhere, can you get out the front doors, will there be a space for your car, scooter and charging points. Can you get to the shops, docs, post office, the list could go on.

On a good day we can all do many more things, its the bad days we prepare for.
  • Tyjen
    Tyjen Member Posts: 14
    I was in a 3 bed house on my own and was struggling due to osteo and was desperate to downsize to an adapted property ie wet room and ground floor. I had to get a letter from my gp as proof I had osteo ( it cost me £15) before I could go on the transfer list. It took nearly 5 years before a suitable property came up for me.
    I am from another planet, but its ok, they know me there.