Matron's Munchies

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621

Hi everyone. Just popped in to see how everyone is feeling about the coronavirus and found we have a cake shop for Aiden. Great idea. I haven't been able to read everything - my sight is still getting worse - but noticed you are looking for a name. What about Bubbles Bakery - or am I too late? Anyway, lots of lovely pictures of cakes and other food. Yum. Hope everyone is as well as possible. Love to all. xxx

Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Christine..its good to hear from you..now I like bubbles bakery.and dont think we have that one...sorry your eyes are bad..same here ..you take care xx
    Kath I have just seen all the cakes..omg put the kettle on..thankyou...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

I will add Bubbles Bakery to the list for you @applerose Thank you for the suggestion

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

One bite of this unicorn swirl-inspired cake with layers of Swiss meringue buttercream will give you on an industrial-strength sugar high.

INGREDIENTS

• Cake
    • 645g all-purpose flour
    • 400g caster (superfine) sugar
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 4 ½ tsp baking powder
    • 560ml of milk
    • 180ml vegetable oil
    • 190g unsalted butter, softened
    • 3 tbsp Greek yogurt (can substitute with sour cream)
    • 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
    • 3 large eggs
    • 3 drops blue food gel
    • 3 drops pink food gel + 3 drops purple food gel
    • 3 drops pink food gel
    • 3 tsp strawberry essence (or any flavour you like)
    • purple pony sprinkles (www.fancysprinkles.com)
    • rainbow confetti sprinkles
    • Gold Drip
    • 2 tsp gold lustre dust (can be purchased online or at any cake supply store)
    • 4 tbsp vodka or vanilla extract
    • Frosting
    • 3 batches of swiss meringue buttercream recipe on thescranline.com
    • 3 drops blue food gel
    • 3 drops pink food gel + 3 drops purple food gel
    • 3 drops pink food gel
    • 3 tsp strawberry essence
    • Optional
    • ½ batch highway unicorn macarons

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Spray an 8” cake tin with oil spray and line the bottom with baking paper.
    2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
    3. Add the milk, oil, greek yogurt, eggs and strawberry essence into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
    4. Separate batter into three separate bowls. Add pink food dye and mix until well combined to one bowl. Repeat with two other bowls. Add pink and purple to make the purple and blue to make the blue. Be careful not to over mix your batter. You just want to fold the colour until well combined.
    5. Transfer each colour into a separate piping bag and pipe random blobs of each colour into an 8 inch cake tin. Fill each cake tin just above half way.
    6. Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the tins to cool for 2 min and then carefully flip the cake tins over on to a cooling rack to cool completely before using.
    7. Using a large serrated knife or cake leveler, carefully trim the top off each layer of cake to make even and flat layers. You can make each cake layer however thin or thick you like. I got about 3 useable layers of cake from each of the three cakes. Try to aim to get them all the same height. If you don’t have a cake leveller, an easy way to do this is to find the lowest height of the cake, place a skewer or toothpick next to that point and mark it. As you go around each side of the cake cutting it, use the marked skewer to make sure each cut is at the same height.
    8. To prepare crumb coat, add a dab of frosting onto an 8” cake board or serving plate. Add first cake layer. Use a small offset to add a layer of frosting and smoothen out and layer the frosting on each layer before adding the next layer of cake. Add more frosting around the outside to fill the grooves between each layer. This should just be a neat thin layer of frosting which is aimed at trapping any cake crumbs so that random bits of cake crumbs don’t show up on the outside of the cake.
    9. Add a fresh layer of frosting using a small offset spatula. Use a cake scraper to smoothen out the frosting around the sides. Then smoothen out the top using a the cake scraper. Chill.
    10. Separate two batches of Swiss meringue buttercream into three bowls. Colour each one blue, pink and purple using the same formulas as the batter.
    11. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe two layers of frosting starting with the blue at the bottom, followed by the purple. I actually made a lighter purple as well, and then finish with the pink. Use a large cake scraper to go around the cake to smoothen out the frosting. Scrape any excess frosting on top using a sharp knife and use the cake leveller to even out the top. Continue scraping until the cake is smooth on the sides and top. Chill for 1-2 hours.
    12. Stick some sprinkles to the bottom of the cake using your hands.
    13. Drizzle some chocolate sauce over the sides of the cake and chill again for 1 hour. Mix the gold lustre dust and vodka or vanilla extract together and use a small food safe brush to paint the chocolate drips with the gold. You may need to go over it twice. This takes a while guys. Have patience! Listen to Beyoncé in the background or your favourite podcast!
    14. Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip and frost some high swirls of pink Swiss meringue buttercream frosting. Make em high baby!
    15. Add the macarons on top to finish off, this is completely optional! If you want to use the macarons, I’d recommend making them the day you bake the cake. This whole thing is a two day process. Baking and crumb coat and then the decorating. Store the macarons in an air tight container at room temp until you’re ready to use them! :0)

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023

I like cafe sparkles Aidan did love his sparkles.

have we had Aidan’s tasty morsels on the list.

Stay positive always👍xx
  • Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Turbogran

I will make sure Aidan's tasty morsels are on the list

Best Wishes

Sharon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I only just spotted Christine there!!!!!!!!!

Woo wooo! Great to see her.

Off to VOTE now

• frogmorton

Welcome to Matron's Munchies!!

• Turbogran

Hello matrons munchies. Hi Toni loving your picture. ❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621

Thank you Sharon and Toni. x So is it Matron's Munchies, Toni? I like that.

Christine
  • frogmorton

Thanks Carol!  Christine it is a great name.  I always like alliteration! Come on into the café and see us all the kettle's on ☕️

• Kitty

Vegan Wraps – Everything and Anything in the Fridge

Vegan Wraps – Everything and Anything in the Fridge

In need of a snazzy sandwich and wrap recipe?

Ingredients:

INDIAN Life Organic Spelt Wraps

Simply Natural Organic Goddess Salad Dressing

Hummus

Whatever you have in your fridge/freezer

We had:

Cooked Chickpeas

Chopped Raw Beets

Chopped Raw Carrots

Chopped Raw Zucchini

Chopped Cucumber

Chopped Avo

Frozen Peas & Corn (rinsed with hot water then thrown in)

Cut Kale

Cut Lettuce

Now the fun part is you can really do whatever you want and not go wrong.

We have also before had in there:

Fried Onion, Garlic, Tofu & Soy Sauce together

Smoked Tofu

Green Onions

Tomatoes

Sweet Peppers

so pretty much whatever is – shockingly – in our fridge/freezer.

Method:

Chop up and/or cook/fry all ingredients you want to use and put it in a bowl.

Mix in Salad Dressing.

Lay down wrap on a plate and spread a generous amount of hummus on it.

Put your mix in, wrap it and enjoy!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran

Oh Kath that looks so yummy 😋😋could do with one right now got no wraps thou 😆😆

Stay positive always👍xx
  • Kitty

Root vegetable ‘toad in the hole’

SERVES: 3 -4

Ingredients:

Roasted roots

350g root vegetables or squash (I used whole purple Chantenay carrots and prepared butternut squash)

1 red onion

1 tablespoon oil

Batter

100g plain wholemeal flour

1 medium egg

250ml milk

1 tbs pumpkin seeds (or you could use mixed seeds)

2 tsp wholegrain mustard

1/2 tsp baking powder

Recipe Summary

root vegetable ‘toad-in-the-hole’ is very adaptable — try parsnips, sweet potatoes and even beetroot. For a no-chop version use baby carrots and replace the red onion with baby leeks.

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/375ºF.

Peel the red onion and cut into six wedges. Scatter the onion wedges into a roasting tin or casserole dish. Add the root vegetables, drizzle with oil and toss everything around a little to make sure all the vegetables have an even coat of oil.

Bake the vegetables for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, put all the batter ingredients, except the seeds, in a jug and beat together either by hand or using a stick blender or milk frother. Add the seeds to the mixed batter and stir.

After the vegetables have been cooking for 15-20 minutes, remove the tin from the oven and pour the batter in. Put the dish back in the oven and bake for a further 20-30 minutes or until the batter is well risen and crispy.

Serve immediately.

• frogmorton

Now that look nice Kath.  Would be a very good way of getting kids to eat their veg (and one or two adults I know too!).

• barbara12
    Morning all
    Matrons Munches..sorry keep forgetting to pop in..I am sure Aidan is mixing away had we speak and the air blue from dropping things..then maculising....
    Kath I live the sound of the wrap thankyou..
    Toni cup cakes and must say very well done..
    Will put the kettle on...xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty

VEGAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

For the Base Recipe: 

• 2 16-ounce (450 g) blocks silken tofu (I use Nasoya)
    • 2/3 cup (51 g) nutritional yeast
    • 1/3 cup (39 g) chickpea/garbanzo bean flour 
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric 
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
    • Black pepper, to taste 
    • 10 ounces (280 g) frozen hashbrowns (no need to thaw)

For the Veggies (or add your own!): 

• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
    • 1/2 yellow onion, diced (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
    • 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced  
    • 4 ounces (110 g) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line or spray a 9×9” baking tray. 
    2. Add the tofu, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, turmeric, salt, and pepper to a high-speed blender or food processor (recommended if your blender does not have a tamper). Blend until the mixture is thick and creamy, 45 to 60 seconds.
    3. Evenly sprinkle the hashbrowns across the base of the baking tray along with whatever other vegetables you are using. Use a spatula to transfer the blended mixture into the baking tray, then mix/incorporate well, making sure to evenly distribute the veggies and smooth out the top.
    4. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 45-47 minutes, or until the top is evenly browned and firm. Let sit for 5 minutes, then slice and serve as desired. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.

• Kitty

Sweetcorn fritters

Makes ~ 6 small fritters, or 3 large.

Small ones make bite-sized canapé style fritters, large ones should be served on a plate. This recipe easily scales up to make a larger batch.

You can make these in advance and re-heat them in a warm oven for 5 mins. They also freeze well and can be cooked from frozen in 15 minutes, best cooked at 180ºC. (fan)

Ingredients 

• 125g tinned sweetcorn, drained
    • 1 spring onion, trimmed and finely sliced
    • Handful coriander, finely chopped (leave some for garnish)
    • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
    • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    • pinch sea salt
    • 1 egg, lightly whisked
    • 50g gram (chick pea) flour
    • ½ teaspoon baking powder
    • olive oil to fry.

To serve: smoked salmon or avocado sliced into bite-sized pieces, Greek yoghurt or crème friache, a pinch of chipotle or smoked paprika powder and sprig of coriander.

Method

1. Place the corn in a small mixing bowl and add your spring onion, coriander, spices and salt. Then stir in the whisked egg, add the gram flour and baking powder. Mix well, the mix should be fairy stiff. Add water a tablespoon at a time till you get a looser consistency - as thick as double cream.
    2. Put a non-stick pan on a hob over a medium heat to warm up and add a tablespoon of olive oil. When sufficiently warm, add around 2 tablespoons of mix to make up a large fritter, or 1 tablespoon for a smaller one, then move on to the next one, making sure not to cook too closely together or to overcrowd the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly golden and transfer to a baking tray to keep in a warm oven while you cook the rest.

• Turbogran

Looks Nice Kath if you can get the ingredientsat the moment 😃

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton

Definitey Carol! I have most of them no springies ATM, but can use normal I expect.  As for the breakfast casserole Kath!  YUMMMMY!!!!

Barbara I can give Aidan a hand with the immaculisation here

Blimey it was busy in here last night!

We can stay open no problem through COVID's visit.

• Kitty

Coconut Creams

• 2 rounded tablespoons coconut oil
    • 1 x 270ml tin full fat coconut cream that has been stored in the fridge for 24 hours or more
    • 2 tablespoons honey*
    • 1/2 teaspoon natural concentrated vanilla extract
    1. Place the coconut oil into a small heat proof bowl and gentle melt if it is not already liquified. Set aside.
    2. Place the coconut cream, honey and vanilla into a medium sized mixing bowl and beat with hand held beaters until smooth and well combined.
    3. Continue beating as you slowly drizzle in the coconut oil.
    4. Beat until smooth and well combined.
    5. Spoon the mixture into the holes of a silicon tray.
    6. Place in the freezer to set and to store.
    7. Eat and enjoy.

*you can use rice malt syrup if you prefer.

• frogmorton
    Oh now.....the look amazing Kath spot on for Mothers day!
    Thank you :) <3 :) <3
  • barbara12
    Just popping in to see what is on offer..sweetcorn fritters and coconut creams
    .something for me to make.:)
    Toni it's good of you to help with the immaculisation..We cant let standard drop....:)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty

VEGAN HOT-DOGS – WITH TOFUSAUSAGES

17/10/2018VANESSA

INGREDIENTS

Tofu-Sausages

• 400 g Firm tofu block, cut at least 8 strips
    • 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
    • 1 Tbsp Mustard
    • 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
    • 1/2 Tsp Garlic powder
    • 1/2 Tsp Paprika powder
    • up to taste Salt & Pepper

Base & Toppings

• 8 Buns, wholemeal if available
    • 200 - 250 g Medium carrot, processed or finely shredded
    • 200 - 250 g Cabbage (red/white or both), processed or finely chopped
    • 1-2 sprig Coriander, processed or finely chopped
    • 1 Onion, finely chopped
    • 1 Cup Sweet corn kernels
    • 1 Cup Commercial fries, crushed
    • Vegan sauces you prefer, ketchup, V-mayo, mustard.

METHOD

Tofu Sausages

• 1)
    • Cut tofu block length-ways into strips with these approximate size:
    • Width = 12mm or 1/2″.
    • Length = the length of the block.
    • If you use a block 15cm long, great! if your block is shorter no problem, put one next to each other when assembling the hot-dog.
    • 2)
    • Prepare the marinate mixing BBQ sauce, mustard, soy sauce, garlic powder and paprika powder.
    • 3)
    • Toss tofu strips into marinate mixture and let it for a few minutes. You can do this step the day before if you have the time and let it in the fridge.
    • 4)
    • Make a slight cut in the buns and steam them in a steamer till they get very soft.
    • 5)
    • Grill the “sausages” onto a hot non-stick pan or grill pan.
    • 6)
    • Let all the sausages to get golden evenly on every side. Make sure you turn them around. BE PATIENT! Tofu takes a bit of time to get golden but it’ll worth it.
    • 7)
    • Once sausages are ready sprinkle a squirt of extra soy sauce, turn off the stove and set them aside.

Toppings

• 1)
    • Process cabbage, carrot and coriander in a food processor and serve in a bowl. (See Note 1).
    • 2)
    • Serve all the other toppings by separate in different bowls: onion, corn, chips, cheese.
    • 3)
    • Optional: If the sauces are quite thick, add a bit of water to the sauces. In my personal taste I don’t like them TOO thick.

Assembling

• 1)
    • Grab a warm, soft, steamed bread bun and open it really wide.
    • 2)
    • Add the sausage and some sauces of your preference.

Our newish neighbours (Rebecca and Dale) have just pushed a note through our letterbox, with their mobile number and offering to get some shopping for us tomorrow. We've never spoken to them before. 😀

• Kitty

Vegetarian shepherd’s pie with champ topping

Category: Main meal | Serves: 4-6 (makes 2 pies; each pie serves 2–3 – serve one pie fresh; freeze the other one)

Prep time: 35-40 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS

3 tsp olive oil

1 red onion, chopped

3 carrots, sliced

2 sticks celery, finely chopped

200g (7oz) swede, peeled and finely diced

1 tbsp plain flour

150ml (¼ pint) homemade or reduced-salt vegetable stock

150ml (¼ pint) red wine

400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice

1 tsp each dried thyme and dried oregano

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

400g (14oz) can green lentils, drained and rinsed

900g (2lb) floury potatoes, washed (leave peel on) and cut into small chunks

3–4 spring onions, chopped

3–4 tbsp skimmed or semi skimmed milk

1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick saucepan. Add onion, carrots, celery and swede; sauté over a medium heat for 8–10 minutes, until softened.
    2. Stir in flour; cook gently for 1 minute. Stir in stock, red wine, tomatoes, herbs and black pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
    3. Stir in lentils; simmer, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    4. Meanwhile, for champ topping, put potatoes in a separate pan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil; simmer for 15 minutes, until tender.
    5. In meantime, heat remaining oil in a small, non-stick pan; sauté spring onions gently for 3–5 minutes.
    6. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes; stir in spring onions and milk. Season with black pepper. Cover to keep hot.
    7. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Divide lentil mixture between 2 ovenproof dishes. Top each portion with champ; spread roughly with fork, covering lentil mixture. Place one dish on baking sheet (freeze second pie – see Anne’s tip below).
    8. Bake in oven for 20–25 minutes, until the topping is nicely browned. Serve with cooked peas.

Cook's tips:

• If you have frozen and defrosted one pie, bake as above but increase cooking time. Freeze for up to 3 months.