Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Oh such a beautiful little munchie , congratulations Yvonne. One of my late chemotherapy friends called ALL her grandchildren munchies, so it's my way of remembering her. I'm very happy that all went well.

Well, I solved my evil laptops problem and all is back to normal. Such a lot to chat about, as Chris is over 70 and I'm 69, so as good as 70, we are officially now self isolating - as if we haven't been doing that already for the last 4 years. 😕 So nothing will change for us. We just hope that Tesco don't have any problems with our deliveries. Already much of what we order is unavailable. Last Thursday I ordered a repeat prescription and it was all delivered this morning - wonderful Although Julia said she has seen a lot of over 70s out and about - naughty. We saw Holly leave for school this morning so she will hopefully be able to pick our Radio Times tomorrow. We will have to wait and see if she can get Paracetamol. Tesco are completely out of them, but our local Co-op might have some. I can't help wondering what Aidan would have to say about all this? Matron always did know best, bless him. 😥😪

Emily told us that the schools are having meetings today about whether they will be shutting, but I just heard on the news that the government won't be pushing for it just yet. Anita should hoefully still be having her lumpectomy on 23rd.

Carol, good idea to use your preventer. I've always used both my preventer and my reliever every day, plus my nebuliser too. I take Braltas, Mucodyne and Azithromycin every day too. Flipping lungs, glad my Pseudomonas is behaving, as I don't think my rescue pack would keep THAT under control!!!

Oh dear Joan, it's those with carers who will feel it most. What if one of them takes ill? Emily's friend Alex, who organises carers for her clients has had to check and double check she has enough HEALTHY staff to send out.

Toni, so sorry about Charley and GF, let's hope for negative tests. Thank you for the smashing eggs. Sorry there's no poem perhaps you will be happy for the rest. Now, off to find a nice recipe for you.

The Best Vegan Pancakes Recipe

DRY INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup all purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
    • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 Tablespoons white sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt

WET INGREDIENTS:

• 1 and 1/2 cups almond milk
    • 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

SUBSTITUTIONS:

• all purpose flour – See My Notes
    • almond milk – any other non-dairy milk or dairy milk for non-vegans
    • coconut oil – any neutral flavor oil or melted butter for non-vegans

PROCEDURE:

1. In a large bowl combine together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
    2. Add the wet ingredients one by one to the well and stir together with a whisk. Let the batter rest for at least 10 minutes before making the pancakes.
    3. Meanwhile heat a pan at medium-high for about 5 minutes. Once the pan is hot enough, pour about 1/3rd cup of batter (for each pancake). Wait for bubbles to appear all over the pancake and the flip it over the other side and cook for another 30-45 seconds.
    4. Repeat the same for rest of the batter. Serve the pancakes warm with toppings of your choice.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Afternoon all..
    Yvonne many congratulations on the birth of your 5th grandchild Evelyn..how uplifting is that ..thankyou for posting the photo..I am thrilled for you all.xxxxxx
    Toni yes you be carful.. I am 70 in may so could leave Mr B in if I wanted..its not good that they are not testing people..i wonder if they have ran out of kits.. poor Charley and her GF..i hope they recover very soon ..((()))
    Thankyou for breakfast..it was very nice xxxxx
    Carol we will be climbing the walls..i think i might send Mr B to our shed...mind you it say we can go for a walk..i wouldn't care but i cant walk far..still we have to go along with it..xxx
    Joan i know it's a worry for you..hopefully they have enough carers to take over..our eldest GD is a carer and she say they have stand by ones just in case..xxxxx
    Kath the cottage pie looks good..wonder if this is the same recipe our son uses..I hope your laptop start to behave..xxxx
    I have had another call off the doctors..one phone call tomorrw from the nurse and one on friday from the doctors...good job we have phone..unlike the golden days..
    Right will leave you for now
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 16. Mar 2020, 16:23
    Options

Hi Toni that would be great thanks we have all got to help one another in this mr t said there is an announcement later today. Is husband over 70 if so maybe not. But will check in again later if I hear anything official later. At the moment I am just being careful and doing safe distancing but carrying on as much as normal it’s going to be bad enough when we have to stay in. We don’t have a tv in the bedroom but we both have iPads so can get a lot of programs in them and we both have earphones we can attatch to them 😆😆 so will be able to watch own thing.

Yvonne the baby is gorgeous and I love her name congratulations to all. ❤️🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options

Morning! Barbara I quite like telephone consultations except if it was something the DR needs to 'see' of course!  Oh yes 'house calls' well we won't see those days again will we?

I will go to the shed myself if I have to!  Paul can go out he's 59 if they make me stay in, but I will go for my 'walk' every day same as usual. You should too even if it's just down to a bench like Kath and Chris used to.

Carol IPADs with earphones?  I like the sound of those! I think I would start with those straight away on day 1!

I am also carrying on cautiously ATM for now. Might not get our meals out though 😕 does Mr T cook? If he does you can take it in turn to do each other a lunch. Make a thing of it.

Now Kath is the very woman to talk to about self isolating.  You ahev it down to a fine art don't you?  Online shop and a good neighbour in Holly for your radio times and paracetamol.  I have started  a thread in LWA on the subject. Would you have time to pop in?

I am so relieved that your meds all came and the lap top is sorted now.

All bubbas are called munchies in memory of one of your chemo crew that is amazing especially as Aidan's afters is now Matron's munchies!

Thank YOU for the pancakes very nice.

I did miss our daily poem. A bit of culture does us good. If you don't mind and have time.

Joan I hope all is well with you both and the dogs. I am sure the carers will still come one way or another even if it's 'bank' ones who don't normally come. ((()))

What shall we eat?

Full 'English' veg sausages available 😏

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,953
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I hope you get your paracetamol and radio times. (((((())))) love to Chris and Emily ((((())))and your Dad ((((())))

. Carol love to you and Mr T and your family ((((()))))

. Barbara love to you and Mr B ((((()))) and your brother ((((()))) Niamh ((((()))) and her Dad (((()))

. Toni (((())) love to Paul (((()))Tia ((((())) Charley and her friend (((())) Lucy (((())))

Bill ((((())) thinking about you

we are 79 this year we laugh about our age

. love to Mig ((((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options

Morning everyone. Toni said the kettle was on. Thank you Toni. I'd love a cuppa.

Sorry I can't read through. Did have a quick look. Hope everyone self-isolating doesn't find themselves too bored. You can still go out for a walk as long as you stay away from people. I think I saw mention of a new baby. How wonderful. Congratulations.

My work hours were cut a while ago (I'm a housekeeper - fancy name for a cleaner ha ha) - because the older kids went off to uni. I have instead been calling in on by boss's 89 year old mum as she had a stroke a while back. She has told me not to come any more until things settle down so I'll have quite a bit of time on my hands. I have been on a 6 month waiting list, for 8 months now, to have my first eye operation. The eye department are having so many calls I can't get through so I'm guessing things might be on hold for a while. I'm also not sure how at risk I am from C19. I'm guessing not much as I'm not on any meds and am only 64 and bloods have been coming back as normal.

Hope everyone is as well as possible. Take care. x

Christine
  • barbara12
    edited 17. Mar 2020, 11:57
    Options
    Morning all..its sunny out there
    Christine dont you bother about not reading all the post.. its lovely to hear from you..I am waiting for a call at the eye clinic..Ithere will be many things being disrupted.. but i count myself lucky to have a garden to potter in..my brother dosent ..its very kind of you to check on your bosses mum..keep safe xx
    Carol yes we have to do out best..we are not having Niamh ..we miss her so much...but needs must at least we can face time..you keep safe
    Joan I think both of you are amazing..and age is just a num has Aidan use to say..so we will all be 21..:)...(((())))
    Kath thankyou for the pancakes I must have just missed you yesterday..I am glad you have Holly to drop things off for you..I hope Anita is doing ok..sorry i forgot when he biopsy is..xxx
    Toni yes walking is good for us ..they do say to open windows for ventilation.
    I agree with that if only for half an hour..its a good job we can take call from the drs..just imagine years ago..
    How are Charley and her gf feeling..we have 2 people nearby waiting to be tested..
    You keep safe..xxx
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    edited 17. Mar 2020, 14:06
    Options

Daily Poem

Untidy Classroom

There are crumbs scattered over the table

and orange squash spilled on the floor.

Somebody tore up some paper

and dropped it, just there, by the door.

The tin for the crayons is empty,

to find them - we're all at a loss,

so no-one can draw a nice picture

and teacher is looking quite cross.

So you fetch the brush and the dustpan,

and I'll fetch the waste paper bin.

Everyone search for the crayons,

and put them all back in the tin.

Let's make our class clean and tidy,

keep it as nice as we can.

Clean up the mess and put things away,

so everywhere looks spick and span.

Good morning to all of you. Holly went to the Co-op for me and picked up the Radio Times. Theyhad no Paracetamols or Ibuprofen though, but she did her best. We gave her the Easter Eggs and chocolate we got for her and the girls, in case things get worse and we aren't able to give them closer to the time.

Toni, I sat drooling over the breakfast you left for us, I love sausages. Well let's face it, I love food - I never eat anything else. 🙃

Christine, how lovely to see you.It's always lovely to see old (and not so old) friends. I'm pretending I'm 70 (only 69 really) so I can self isolate with Chris. Do I have a choice? I could leave my crippled body at home while I went a walk without it. 😏 if only.

It was so lovely to hear the birds singing this morning.. Now I'm rambling, so I'm off to Matron's Munchies to leave my daily offering. Love to all. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options

Hubby usually goes out every day now he’s got to stay in so so far he’s hoovered the stairs and landing washed and dried the dishes ( I usually dry ) chopped the veg for dinner he’s going to get fed up with housework soon.

We had a quick walk round the block but as there’s a primary school at the top of our road we waited till they had all gone in.

We are/were going on our anniversary river cruise and lunch on the 29th of this month that we had to cancel last year but I’m expecting it will be cancelled so hopefully it will be third time lucky whenever that will be.

I hope and pray that we all stay safe and well. Mig X

• Turbogran
    Options

Hi all

Kath I love the poem I’m sure you can pretend your 70 of course you have a choice. Yep if only wish I could off for an walk without my body,can’t remember the days when I could do it without any walking aids if only indeed. It was me getting my rollator that was responsible for my grandchildren to nickname me turbogran hence my name on here, because I just thought it was good.

Barbara yes best foot forward as it were but where to go 🤔🤔up and down the hall, round the kitchen, or the bathroom. 😆😆😆and maybe up the walls well if I was able. 😆😆I bet you do miss Niamh I video called my Granddaughter today and spoke to our Graycie and Rubie it was lovely it really lifted my mood seeing their smilie faces. It not something we normally do but We have told everyone to keep in touch with us and vice versa we will keep in touch with them. And of course it’s free. Mr T also helped me to set up Skype on my I pad so I have endless ways to contact them all. I have told my GD that I want lots of photos of the girls and will post some to cheer us up

hi Christine Nice to see you again we are self isolating As from today as we are both over 70 and I am also asthmatic so we decided it was best. Not sure how it will go but as we have both said it will give us chance to give our flat a real good springclean and we don’t have to rush it we can take our time over it there is a lot of stuff we can clear our.

Toni yes we have put our meals out on hold too as they saying avoid places like that better to be safe than sorry and as they say you can go for walks we have decided we will do this up our road a little way we have a green area where mr t used to take our Snowie for a run and we will do it at a quite time when there is not a lot of people around so we avoid to much contact. Both my knitting group and the Ms group are both putting things on hold and not meeting.

Joan thank you for the hugs and sending some hugs ((((()))))to you and Sue.

love Sparkles And hugs to you all❤️❤️🌈🌈🤗🤗

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    edited 18. Mar 2020, 07:01
    Options

Morning everyone sorry I didn't get back in yesterday, but the decorator was stripping the ancient wallpaper in the L room and water got in a socket that was the internet off 🙄

Joan 79 that is a good age well done both of you you've done well - so far!  Keep on going as you are you're doing something right🙂 ((()))

Christine it's lovely to see you please do not worry about not reading back just update us we love to hear from old friends even if you are only 64!  You and Barbara both waiting for eyes. Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer ((())) Time on your hands?  Well maybe you can get out in the garden?  I intend to.

Barbara bro needs to be extra careful though I'm sure he is being sensible. Can you facetime him? Is his gf living with him so he's not on his own? Niamh is ok and you have been able to keep in touch with her and her Daddy. I must ring the Drs today for Lucy to cancel two apts she has this week not worth trying is it?  They can to otherwise it's not urgent.

Kath your sis's operation....any news? Does that count as non-urgent?  Surely not 23rd it's supposed to be isn't it?

Well-done Holly I'm sure she tried.  Good idea about the chocolate eggs for the children. 69?! you have to isolate with Chris anyway due to your lungs!Little Sleek is here with me missing Tosca very much but she checks in on Bill every day.  She goes and sits in Tosca's place she says she can smell her.

Now today's poem!  I loved it (and the pic!) I think that one was written when you were working with children!?

breakfast today? Now let me see....

I just had a 503 error (maintenance?) Yvonne if you pop by any ideas why?

Mig such a shame about your anniversary river cruise it will happened only  a bit later on - safety first. Shame my husband is 59 I can't get him cleaning the house just yet!!!

Walking is excellent well done and please just be a little extra careful yourself ((()))

Carol the poor people from the MS group! They will miss it.  Mind you they do need to be a bit careful MS and the like are on the list for self-isolation🤔

No meals out. Theatre trips and meals, cinema and holidays all cancelled 😓 safety first though.

Gentle walks where you used to take Snowie maybe? and yes spring cleaning.....🙄

You are doing well keeping in touch video calls skype etc and of course facebook for those who like it and here too.  My bro set up a WhatsApp group for he me and my sis as she and I have lung problems.

Take care everyone! Keep well

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Christine it's nice seeing you ((((())))

Carol you and Mr T look after yourselves ((((((())))

Mig I'm sorry about the cruise ((((()))) it will be good when you have it. look after yourselves.

Barbara you and Mr B take care (((((()))) is Niamh off school ((((()))) how are you managing shopping.

Toni take care all of you ((((())) and Kari ((((()))

Kath you and Chris take care ((((()))) yes it would be nice to go out without our bodies love to Holly (((())))

. Bill take care ((((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Morning all om my laptop so 😎we have just been watching our blackbird nesting in the tree..it is cleaning our gutters out of all the moss...

Mig good on your OH doing the house work,,like you say though he will get fed up..bet to be safe though..we have had little walks and went into town its so quiet so we could keep our distance form the few that were there..

Carol yes we can climb the walls😫.Mr B is doing jobs that needed doing..I hope..we are so lucky being able to facetime and skype we really are..I remeber my grandma saying that children are carriers and it was in the papers yesterday..you stay safe xxx

Joan we have shopping in and our son drops things off..we have to throw him out for now.. are you ok for supplies..some of the supermarkets are holding slots back for those that need online shopping..(((()))

Kath another good poem a bit like my house when Niamh has been..how nice of you to give Holly easter eggs..like you say you never know ..we haven't got got at the min..xxx

Toni my brothers phone is broke at the min so they are using his GFs..they dont have a laptop ..so we are trying to get them one...he has to go for bloods yesterday so no chance of him staying in 🙄 how is Lucy ..I hope she is well..and how are Charley and her GF feeling now..you make sure you stay away form children ..like they say they are not getting the virus but are super carriers..xxx

Oh thankyou for breakfast we shared it between us..😊

sorry if I have forgotten people or what was said..Im not with it this morning or any morning come to that..

love to everyone

💓

Love
    Barbara
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi there,

a coffee will be great, my preference is the lazy Sunday offering, with lots of hot milk, I know I have both my tea and coffee very weak, but it keeps me strong 🏋️ Gosh these are small, even on my laptop!

Toni your 503 error, I'm not the best on working out these things but I know a man who is xxxx If you ever get locked out just email community@versusarthritis.org and we will be there to get you back in

Just a thought, maybe we could all meet up for 11ses at the same time tomorrow for a chat, could be the kind of thing a café would do?!?

Love Yx

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (untitled)

My heart understood, but still shut you out.

That was our moment - but I didn't know it

and you didn't show it.

I live two lives;

one that is - one that could have been,

which is real?

Night smooths out wrinkles,

turns grey to brown,

flesh falls away.

I change things for a short space;

go back to that magic world,

a time when there was you.

Dawn and Jonathan 😥

Dawn posted on FB yesterday' She is unwell with  a bad head ache and sore chest and pains running down her right arm,  and rang 111. As she has RA and is immunocompromised and also has Bronchiectasis so is definitely in the 'vulnerable' group, they advised her to self isolate for 14 days So Jonathan and their son Alex also have to self isolate.

I'm feeling very SOB and I'm coughing. So have started taking my Doxy, but that means I can't take my mtx 😕

Bless Holly, she went all over town to get me some Paracetamol. 🤤 As far as I'm aware, Anita's op is still going ahead. I don't think cancer ops are optional!!! 😕

Yvonne, I don't come online until after 12 noon, but I'll keep up to date with the elevenses posts. 😀

Glad to hear all are keeping safe and hopefully well. Toni I shed a little tear for Sleek missing Tosca' 😪

I'm off to post a recipe in Matron's Munchies. See ya there. ❤️💖

• frogmorton
    Options

I can do 11-sies Yvonne, but would we miss Kath and maybe Joan??

Especially for you in the meantime.

Shall we see who's up for a cuppa t 11? ANYONE??

Barbara no phone at least his gf has one typical man  he must have his check ups though.  A phone or a tablet? what will you try to locate?

Kids are super carriers yes I heard that bless them that's why I never go for my walk at 9 or 3.30 past the school.

Kath a lost love a missed opportunity? A rather sad poem, but if I am right we've all dreamt of lost loves from time to time.

Oh dear me I hope Dawn is ok it will be 14 days for them now won't it? Get well soon Dawn and I hope the others stay well ((()))

Good thank goodness Anita's op will still be going ahead. I expected it would, but was worried don't want delays there.

Holly is a good girl and her girls will be nice people too if she brings them up the way she is doing 🙂

I am presuming that you not feeling well is a 'normal' infection and the doxy will help.  Take care and rest up....

Oh you already are....is that you snoring?!

• Turbogran
    Options

Evening all

in a bit late but my phone landline and mobile have been very busy I have had calls from youngest Gd to check how we are and one also from GS I made A couple of calls for Mr T to a couple of our elderly ladies in the church to tell them that all services and bible studies have been put on hold for the foreseeable future. and they will be called each week to check how they are. eldest Gd has got to try to isolate our little Rubie as she has recently before this virus hit us with Asthma runs in the family lots of my family on my mums side suffer from it. My Gs an gf are in isolation for 2 weeks as both GGS have coughs and slight temperatures But dr taking no chances, and tonight after she had a a drs telephone consultation has been told to self isolate for 7-10 days due a slight tightness of chest again she is asthmatic and she works in a school. So my phones have been red hot.

have spoken to Gs two eldest Faye and Ashley today and tomorrow he is going to FaceTime me and Mr t to be able to see all the kids. Is lovely as Gs said I know you are in isolation but there is no need to be lonely bless him but it is true.

its one of those time when social media and technology is very useful.

toni if I am able I’ll join you for 11s es that is if not busy with the phone like today.

well must leave you now and have another little potter It’s where to walk next our flat is not overly large.

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🤗🤗🤗to all catch up tomorrow hopefully.

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Keep pottering Carol even if it's only a small potter doing a few times! Well done.

Very kind of you and Mr T to keep in touch with the elderly people who may be on their own. They will miss Church so much as will ours here we are doing the same in the village.

How lovely all of the children and Grandchildren contacting you like that - fair made me well-up! They are right NO NEED at all to be lonely with today's technology.  I have everything crossed that those who don't feel quite right do not have this horrible virus ((()))

I was going to make a suggestion - would people find 'Afternoon Tea' any easier to get online for?

I will come in at 11 and see who is around.

I hope all is well with Joan Sue and their carers ATM - I saw my neighbour yesterday who has carers and they are all well so far. ((()))

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Barbara I hope you are managing alright ((((())))) and your husband (((())))))and brother ((((()))) Niamh ((((()))))

Carol you are doing well ((((()))) love to your family ((((())))

Kath love to you and Chris ((((())))and Anita (((())))and your Dad ((((())) Holly (((()))) sorry you cannot get paracetamol.

Toni sorry about the Internet going yesterday (((()))). I hope everyone is coping as well as they can ((((())))

I phoned Iceland store and said we are running out of food a lady said write your list I will deliver it to you we could not believe it she lives in the next street.

Bill take care (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Morning all
    Yvonne I like the idea of 11ese..more my time of the day..coffee made just to your liking and thankyou again for all you do on the forum xx
    Joan we are all fine thankyou..I hope you and Sue can get out on your scooters ar least you are not really close to anyone xx
    Carol it's very kind of you to phone the elderly from church..I agree we are so lucky to be able to facetime our familys...all I got off Niamh was dont catch conolla gm..conolla..ok..you keep safe...xx
    Toni you are so kind at backing all the cakes and keeping the coffee coming ..I love this cafe..our other little cafe has closed for now..
    My grandma used to say children are carriers...all those years ago..so it's nothing new..makes sence I suppose they are new to a lot of germs xx
    Kath poor Dawn..I hope she will make a good recovery...and you take care and try and get some fresh air when the weather is good..they are even saying open your windows..not long now till spring..
    Thankyou for another good poem..even if it is sad...xx
    Sorry again if i miss things but trying to focus us getting harder
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Anyone in?

I'll get the kettle on.....

and some biccies

• frogmorton
    Options

Today I have heard from Bill

He is doing ok and said Matron's Munchies is a fitting tribute to our friend Aidan.  He said Aidan always had the munchies particularly chocolate!

He also is having to change his new car 'Bubbles' for a larger one for his new business antiques and Collectables.

Mandy is safely home now has pancreatitis and with her heart is also isolating.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

I missed 11ses! And on the first day too! Ah well I see the kettle was on, let's start another brew - and I'm liking the look of those biscuits,

I'm doing well today, working from home has become the new thing to do - I was ahead of everyone.

Do hope everyone is doing well and keeping well right now

Love

Yvonne x

• Kitty
    Options

Morning all, I'm confused, I nomally have to log in, but today I didn't. I hope those who managed elevenses enjoyed them. Toni, those bickies looked home made, very jammy and totally scrumptious. Quick, send me some for the Bush Babies.

I'm so glad that Bill is doing well, antiques and collectibles. Tell him I'll be watching out for him on Antiques Roadshow.

We now have another neighbour offered to pick up a few bits whenever necessary. She's given me her mobile number and I gave Holly mine, just in case. Always good to stay in touch.

Joan, I'm so glad the lady from Iceland is helping you with shopping. Everywhere is running out of food. On the BBC East Midlands Today news, they were on a market there, where a stall holder (green grocer) sold 10 giant sacks of potatoes holding 50 kg (110 lb)each, before 5am! That's one heck of a lot of chips. 😕

Well as you will have noticed, no poem. So I'm setting a challenge. I will write what I hope will be the first line of a poem, and you WILL add a line of your own - YES YVONNE, YOU TOO. 😊. So line one is:

Esme smiled at me today.....

DARK AND DELICIOUS VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

INGREDIENTS

Chocolate Cake:

•  1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
    •  1 cup coconut sugar
    •  1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
    •  1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    •  1/4 teaspoon salt
    •  1/4 cup light-tasting olive oil
    •  1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    •  1 teaspoon vanilla
    •  4 teaspoons cider vinegar

Chocolate Glaze:

•  140 g dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate (about 5 oz) finely chopped
    •  2 tablespoons coconut milk (such as Thai Kitchen)

METHOD

Chocolate Cake: In large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; whisk in oil, applesauce, vanilla and 1 cup water. Stir in vinegar. Scrape into greased parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert onto rack; peel off parchment paper. Let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)

Chocolate Glaze: While cake is baking, in heatproof bowl set over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, heat chocolate with coconut milk, whisking, until melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 25 minutes. Pour over cake, spreading to edges. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Tip from The Test Kitchen: When baking with coconut milk, use a brand that contains an emulsifier, such as guar gum, which will prevent the milk from separating.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

• frogmorton
    Options

Well finally 111 arranged for Charley and her GF to go to a secret location near N Staffs Hospital. Secret telephone number too and directions very cloak and dagger. There two nurses in Hazmat suits came out and they were taken into a building one at a time. VERY scary. They were examined thoroughly and told - without a test apparently they are only testing those admitted to hospital - that they are now treating them as having the virus they both still have raging temperatures although Charley had felt a bit better a day or so back not now

They expect them to recover, being young and despite their asthma, but were told under what circumstances to call 999.

So She has it and I can't look after her. It feels very real for me now