Matron's Munchies

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Wonderful recipes Kath, nice and simple, easy to do and tasty!

Thank you Yvonne x

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 11. Apr 2020, 12:44

Sounds wonderful Toni, I'll be over later for a plateful. 😘

Carroty couscous salad

1. Put 3 teaspoons of the olive oil, the orange juice and black pepper into a small bowl or cup; whisk together until well mixed. Set aside.
    2. Put couscous into a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling stock; stir. Cover with cling film; set aside for about 6 minutes (or according to packet instructions), until stock has been absorbed and couscous is tender. Fluff up couscous with a fork.
    3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil in a small, non-stick frying pan or non-stick saucepan. Add chilli; sauté over a medium heat for 1 minute. Add cumin; sauté for 30 seconds. Add carrots and spring onions; sauté for 3–4 minutes or until softened slightly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
    4. Add carrot mixture to couscous; mix well using two forks. Add cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas, along with orange dressing (give it a quick whisk first) and coriander; toss together to mix. Serve warm on its own or with a mixed leaf side salad.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I keep forgetting about all this lovely food..whatever would Aidan says..bless him..
    Kath I am going to try the potatoe skins..they sound so good and the couscouse salad..does anyone on here have a Husband or partner that can cook...wish I had...:)..shouldn't moan really....xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Mmmm that looks yum Kath!

I did the leek potatoes you posted yesterday!

• Kitty
    edited 12. Apr 2020, 13:00

Daily Poem

Remembering when Aidan applied for PIP 😢

By Kath, in memory of our dear Aidan

We’re in a pickle with pip.

Not a sandwich or salad in sight,

the sight of those forms - oh what a fright!

And then the one to one!

Let’s hope the assessor is kind

for a nasty one would be a bind.

So we’ll all be under the cape

to comfort our Aidan

(we’ll take many cakes)

and the pusscats will help,

they won’t even yelp

if someone stands on their tail,

So let’s just make sure Aidan won’t fail

Ingredients

For the chocolate sponges

2 tsp vanilla extract

• 3 large eggs

For the nest

• 200g marshmallows
    • 100g butter

• , chopped into chunks
    • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
    • 75g salted pretzels, crushed
    • 4 shredded wheat biscuits, crushed
    • chocolate eggs, to decorate

For the icing

• 150g slightly salted butter, softened
    • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
    • 300g icing sugar
    • 4 tbsp milk

Method

Watch recipe video

1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil and line two 20cm round cake tins. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and a large pinch of salt to a bowl. Mix with a whisk, squeezing any large lumps of sugar through your fingers, until you have a fine, sandy mix.
    2. Whisk the oil with the buttermilk in a jug. Stir in the vanilla and eggs, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until there are no more streaks of flour. Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25 mins. Test the cakes by inserting a skewer into the centre – if there is any wet mixture on the skewer, return the cakes to the oven for 5 mins more, then check again. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 15 mins, then transfer to wire racks to cool fully.
    3. Next, make the nest. Clean one tin and line it with some oiled baking parchment. Put the marshmallows and butter in a heatproof bowl and microwave on high for 1 min, stirring halfway through (or heat gently in a pan on the hob). Continue microwaving in 20-second blasts until you get a runny mixture. Stir in the cocoa, pretzels and shredded wheat until well combined. Tip the mixture into your lined tin and use the back of your spoon to create a nest shape. Leave to cool at room temperature for a few hrs, or chill in the fridge if you need it to set faster.
    4. To make the icing, beat the butter, cocoa, icing sugar and milk together until smooth, adding a splash more milk if the mixture is too stiff. Assemble the cake by stacking the sponges with icing in between, topping with more icing and the nest. Fill your nest with as many chocolate eggs as it will hold, then serve. It may be easier to cut the cake if you remove the nest – you can then chop the nest into chunks and serve alongside the cake

Picture in next post.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Kitty

• Kitty

Did anyone see those cute Dachshund on BGT last night?

• frogmorton

I did Kath and just asked Joan if they did in my café post! Great minds eh? Look at those cuties?!

Aidan and his PIP that was a nightmare they didn't need to go though 🤬 The poem is a good one though and cake always helped he would loved that chocolate Easter egg cake. Thank you

• Kitty

iNGREDIENTS

FOR THE CAKE
    • 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 250g caster sugar
    • 250g self-raising flour
    • 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
    • A few drops vanilla extract
    • A good pinch baking powder
    • Icing sugar to dust your cake
    FOR FILLING ONE
    • 2 lemons
    • 2 tsp icing sugar
    FOR FILLING TWO
    • 200g frozen or tinned cherries or blueberries
    FOR FILLING THREE
    • 200g read-to-eat prunes, chopped
    • 2 tbsp red wine
    FOR FILLING FOUR
    • 500ml whipping cream

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
    2. Using a large spoon, cream together the butter and caster sugar until it makes a smooth paste.
    3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
    4. With a little extra butter, grease and line 3 x 20cm cake tins and divide the sponge mixture between each tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cakes have risen and have a golden brown top. You can test if the sponges are ready by putting a metal skewer into them – if it comes out clean they’re done.
    5. Leave the sponges to cool in their tins for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
    6. Filling 1 Method: Using a sharp knife cut away the outer peel and pith of the lemons. Then make cuts each side of the skin membrane to create segments. Place the lemon segments and the sugar into a non stick frying pan and gently cook for five minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool. Remove any pips.
    7. Filling 2 Method: Allow the cherries to thaw or drain the tinned cherries, set aside.
    8. Filling 3 Method: Place the ingredients into a pan and gently cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
    9. Filling 3 Method Place the ingredients into a pan and gently cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to
    10. Filling 4 Method: Whip the cream until gentle peaks are formed. Be careful not to over whip.
    11. To assemble the cake: Place the first layer of sponge cake onto a serving plate and spread with a layer of cream. Put half the lemon mixture in the centre and the cherry mixture around the edge.
    12. Place the second cake on the top of the first and cover with cream. Put the remaining lemon mixture in the centre and the prune mixture around the edge.
    13. Place lots of greaseproof paper onto your work surface. Hold your arm as high as you can above the work surface and using two forks drizzle small amounts of the sugar syrup with a gentle circular motion onto the paper. As it falls it will form thin strands. Continue doing this, carefully building up layers. Once a sugar storm has built up transfer it to crown your cake. As a final touch, dust a little more icing sugar over the sugar storm.

• Kitty

Veggie Garlic Noodles

Ingredients

for 4 servings

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil(30 mL)
    • 5 cloves garlic, minced
    • 4 spring onions, divided
    • 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
    • 1 cup snap pea(100 g)
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 9 oz dried rice noodles(250 g), cooked

Preparation

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and 3 spring onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
    2. Add the carrots and peas, before stirring in the brown sugar and soy sauce.
    3. Add the noodles and mix together for another couple of minutes.
    4. Season with salt and pepper, then slice remaining spring onion and top to serve.
    5. Enjoy

• frogmorton

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Have you seen the Amazon advert? Donna's cakes!)

This is KATHLEEN'S CAKES!!!!

Aidan loved cherries! and cream just like i do. I can each the virtual cream can't i?

and now some garlic noodles too..... nice and simple. I've been watching Jamie Oliver so will replace the sugar snaps with 'normal frozen peas.

Thank you!!

• Kitty

Vegan African Stew

Ingredients

• 6 cups (2 1/2 pints / 1 1/2 litres) vegetable stock
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 2 onions, chopped
    • 2 1/4 cup (1 lb / 450g) sweet potato, peeled and diced
    • 1 x 400g tin chick peas
    • 7/8 cup (6 oz / 170g) millet
    • Approximately 1 tbsp soya sauce
    • 1/2 cup (4 oz / 115g) peanut butter
    • 2 cups (3 oz / 85g) chopped kale
    • Juice of 1 lemon

Method

1. Heat a large saucepan and add 1-2 tbsp of vegetable stock. Add garlic and onion and saute until soft.
    2. Add the rest of the stock, sweet potatoes, chick peas, millet and a drop or two of soy sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
    3. Remove some of the stew liquid from the saucepan, blend with peanut butter and return to the saucepan.
    4. Add the kale and cook for 5 min. Season to taste with lemon juice and soya sauce, adding a little at a time.

• Annj
    Annj Member Posts: 59

I was just wondering what to do with the sweet potatoes that came in my veg box this week. I think I have all the ingredients in the house except millet (maybe couscous instead?), which is quite miraculous at the moment... I might have to try this, thanks @kathleenT 😊

• frogmorton

Annj that's exactly what you should do! I've been watching Jamie Oliver's Keep calm and Carry on Cooking - that's what he suggests replace things with what you have at home 🙂

If you cook it you must let us know how it turns out.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I would put them out for the birds, can't stand the things!

• Kitty

Chocolate Chestnut Pots

SERVES: 8

Ingredients:

400g (14oz) tin unsweetened chestnut puree

150g (5oz) dark chocolate

250g (9oz) fat free Greek yoghurt

1tsp vanilla extract

½ tsp cinnamon (optional)

1 tablespoon icing sugar (optional)

Recipe Summary

Almost everybody loves a rich chocolate dessert but many recipes are full of saturated fat and involved lots of complicated preparation. These chocolate chestnut pots are the work of minutes and taste luxurious whilst being a much lighter alternative to the usual festive offerings.

Chestnuts are a great seasonal ingredient. Unlike other nuts, they are very low in fat and a good source of fibre, vitamin C and folic acid – all nutrients that people with arthritis often struggle to get enough of. The tins of unsweetened chestnut puree are generally easily available around Christmas at most supermarkets. They usually have a ring-pull which I find easiest to open with one of the lever gadgets you can buy but you could also use your favourite electric can opener if your hands are very painful.

Method:

Melt the chocolate in a large bowl either over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave on a low heat. Once the chocolate is molten, stir in the chestnut puree and mix until well combined. Allow the chestnut and chocolate mixture to cool for 5 minutes, then gently fold in the Greek yoghurt, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Taste the mixture and add in the icing sugar if you would like it sweeter.

Spoon into little dessert glasses and leave to chill for at least 2-3 hours before eating.

Variations:

– Chocolate chestnut mousse – omit the yoghurt and instead fold through 2 whipped eggs whites for a lovely mousse. (I use pasteurised egg whites which you can find in the fridge section of your supermarket in a carton.)

– Ginger pots – add 30g chopped stem ginger and a tablespoon of the syrup.

– Chocolate liqueur pots – add 1 tablespoon of brandy, amaretto or cointreau in place of the vanilla extract.

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thought I had better pop in here first..especially has I saw the chocolate pots..thankyou Kath
    Mike I love sweet potatoes baked them smashed with butter..
    Think I might give the stew a go...
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Mike1 that made me laugh😁😁😁

Send them to Barbara 12 she'll eat them for you!

Kath thank you for those choccy pots - oops sorry

Chocolate Chestnut Pots!

Lovely I can use my soya yogs/ cream in place of teh greek yogs. They look amazing down't they? Aidan would have been in there!

• Kitty

DARK AND DELICIOUS VEGAN CHOCOLATE

INGREDIENTS

Chocolate Cake:

•  1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
    •  1 cup coconut sugar
    •  1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
    •  1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    •  1/4 teaspoon salt
    •  1/4 cup light-tasting olive oil
    •  1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    •  1 teaspoon vanilla
    •  4 teaspoons cider vinegar

Chocolate Glaze:

•  140 g dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate (about 5 oz) finely chopped
    •  2 tablespoons coconut milk (such as Thai Kitchen)

METHOD

Chocolate Cake: In large bowl, whisk together flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; whisk in oil, applesauce, vanilla and 1 cup water. Stir in vinegar. Scrape into greased parchment paper–lined 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Invert onto rack; peel off parchment paper. Let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)

Chocolate Glaze: While cake is baking, in heatproof bowl set over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, heat chocolate with coconut milk, whisking, until melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool for 25 minutes. Pour over cake, spreading to edges. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving.

• frogmorton

Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Perleaassse Kath if I can get an online slot all I need to do is add some dark choc to my list and I'll be off!..............

• Kitty

Vegan carrot cake

Ingredients

For the icing

• 4 sachets (200g) creamed coconut
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 2 tbsp cashew nut butter
    • 50g icing sugar
    • 60ml oat milk

For the cake

• 250ml jar coconut oil, melted
    • 300g light brown sugar
    • 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
    • 210ml dairy free milk
    • , we used oat milk
    • 420g plain flour
    • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
    • 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • , plus extra cinnamon to decorate
    • 1 tsp ginger
    • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
    • orange
    • , zest only
    • 4 medium carrots, grated (you want 270g grated weight)
    • 75g chopped walnuts
    • , plus extra to decorate
    • edible flowers (optional)

Method

1. Start by making the icing first. Mash the coconut cream with 2 tbsp hot water and the lemon juice until smooth. Add the cashew butter then whisk in the icing sugar followed by the oat milk. Continue to whisk until fully combined, set aside in the fridge until needed.
    2. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Grease 2 x 20cm cake tins with a little of the melted coconut oil and line the bases with baking parchment. Whisk together the oil and sugar, then add the vanilla and milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and orange zest in a separate bowl. Add these to the wet mixture and stir well. Finally stir in the carrot and the nuts. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 mins until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out cleanly. Cool in the tin for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
    3. Sandwich the cakes together with half the icing then cover the top with the remaining icing (add a splash of oat milk if the icing feels too firm). Scatter over the nuts and dust the cake with a little cinnamon and decorate with edible flowers.

• frogmorton

OMG Kath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is my kind of cake 100% and yes Aidan would have loved it! Bill says chocolate was his favourite.

Perhaps the self cleaning booth ought to be moved in here?😁

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

JAM ROLY POLY

Open packet, stick in microwave and heat for 3 minutes. Cut in half and put in bowl, add half a tin of custard. Put other half in fridge for next day.

I have loads and loads of recipes, surprisingly they are all similar!

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

@Mike1

some days this is exactly the right thing 🤣

Best Wishes

Sharon

• frogmorton

FABULOUS Mike! 🙂

as Sharon said sometimes that's exactly what you need :)