Is exercise a flare trigger?.

Hello,

So even though I am always tired, I started eating better and easing back into exercising. Child's play compared to what I used to do. Five min. on the elliptical, working up to 14. Some days I could do 5, some days not. But it got better. Did the full 14 a couple of times last week. So then I decided to do a 15 min. cardio thing that I could do in my sleep a couple years ago. I took it slow. I kept in low impact. I was careful. Nothing hurt all that much during the 15 min. I did not get the high I used to get after exercise, it pretty much wiped me out, but I was proud that I did it.

The next day......and still today, 3 days later....I feel like I got hit by a bus. Yes, muscle soreness, but I don't count that as I know what that is and consider it normal and good even. But my elbows, toes, hips that had calmed down a bit are screaming again. And the fatigue is extreme. I just want. to. sleep. Or lay down and do nothing at least. All day.

thanks

iosman

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi Iosman

Welcome to the online arthritis community,what a lot is happening to you at the moment,it is really great you found us to tell us your story,many people on this forum have similar storys to tell aswell.If you want you can contact some one to talk to on this number 08005200520. or chat to our forum members.

Hope all goes well with you take care Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Exercise can cause my OA to worsen if I overdo things, which is not the same as a flare of my auto-immune. When that flares it lasts for weeks whereas my aggravated OA eases after a few hours or days. Over the years I have learned to do a little every day, even on the bad days caused by the weather and always to stop when I think I can do more. Rest up, take your pain relief, keep hydrated and I hope things impove soon. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Maybe it was a bit too soon?

I would definitely rest now and take the exercise much steadier. So hard i know when you used to do so much more and so very very frustrating.

I hope things are a little better today (())