Matron's Munchies

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kath! Love meringues I need these and cream too....

I hope you've supplied bibs to keep us remotely clean?!

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Kath you never let us down.
    Thankyou..are you sure they are calorie free..I have tried the lot....hahaha...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Yes Barbara, all calorie free, even this one.

Coconut & Raspberry Cake with White Chocolate Icing

Juicy raspberries, sweet coconut and white chocolate... we can't think of a better combination! The cake itself is fluffy, moist and very easy to make :)

Ingredients: 

Dry ingredients

• 250g/2 cups self raising flour
    • 150g/¾ cup golden caster sugar
    • ½ - ¾ tsp baking powder 
    • ½ - ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 100g dessicated coconut 
    • Pinch salt

Wet ingredients 

• 240ml/1 scant cup soya milk
    • 130ml/¼ cup rapeseed oil
    • Juice of 1 lemon 
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste

Extra

• 100g/1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries 

Icing

• 35g/⅛ heaped cup vegan butter or spread
    • 35g/⅛ heaped cup vegetable shortening (eg Trex)
    • 350g/3⅛ cup icing sugar, sieved
    • 60ml/¼ cup plant milk (if you need to add a little more to get the right consistency, do it ½ tsp at a time)
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
    • 150g vegan white chocolate, melted 

Decoration

A selection of fresh raspberries, coconut flakes, freeze-dried raspberries, dusting of icing sugar

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Line a medium-sized loaf tin with greaseproof paper and set aside. 

Dry ingredients

1. Thoroughly combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside. 

Wet ingredients 

1. Thoroughly combine all wet ingredients in a large jug. 
    2. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir through so fully combined (but don't over-mix). 
    3. Pour the mixture into the pre-lined loaf tin and then push the raspberries evenly into the cake mix so they're fully submerged. 
    4. Place the cake into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and a cake skewer or knife comes out clean. It's best to check after 20 minutes and if the top of the cake is starting to burn, cover it with some foil. 

Icing

1. Melt the chocolate using a double boiler/bain marie (a glass or ceramic bowl that fits on a saucepan of simmering water but doesn’t touch the bottom) and while you're waiting for it to melt, weigh out the other ingredients. 
    2. Combine all ingredients using a hand or electric whisk (electric much easier!) until you get a nice fluffy consistency (not runny). 

Decoration

1. Remove cake from the oven and wait for it to cool before icing. 
    2. Icing and decorate the cake to your taste. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

This recipe was put up on the 20-something of May and I am still waiting for a slice in the post! 😋

• Kitty

Mike, if you look at the date above the post, it was posted 10th June. I've sent you a slice by email. 🤣

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Mike1

Found it! My email system identified it as food and put it in my spam folder! 😹😹

• frogmorton

Oh that was brilliant both of you made me laugh @Mike1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...spam folder indeed....😹

• Kitty

Flourless Honey-Almond Cake

SERVES: 10

Ingredients:

Cake:

180g (6oz) whole almonds, toasted

4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated

120ml (4.22fl oz) honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:

2 tablespoons honey

30g (1oz) almonds, toasted

Method:

Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.

Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground. Beat 4 egg yolks, 120ml honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.

Beat 4 egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.

If desired, remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. To serve, drizzle the top of the cake with honey and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Tips & Notes

• Make Ahead Tip: Store the cooled cake airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with almonds just before serving. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan, parchment paper
    • Tip: To toast whole almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast sliced almonds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
    • Note: Eggs must be at room temperature for the proteins to unwind enough to support the cake’s crumb. Either set the eggs out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge them in their shells in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes before using.

• frogmorton

Cake!

Thanks Kath I'll take a slice for Paul and one each for my daughter and her GF they are visiting later.

tea to go with..

• Kitty

ENJOY MY LOVELIES. XXXX 🥂

• barbara12
    oh my goodness how could I miss all these lovely cakes...used to love making my own..but no need now..and tea out if a teapot..thankyou Kath..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

I am still practising making vegan cake....slightly happy so far.....🍰

• Mike1

Now, I know there are some serious cooks that post on this forum so please don't laugh BUT the last time I put on a couple of boiled eggs .................................. I burnt them! What happened was that I went to sit down intending to back into the kitchen after a few minutes as my OA was particularly killing me, anyway I managed to nod off and when I woke up there was a horrible smell coming from the kitchen! To counter that I bought a new bit of kit yesterday:

It allows you to boil one egg at a time and also does poached eggs, the good news is that it turns itself off when they are done and you have the option of doing anywhere between one and six eggs to either soft, medium or hard. Anyway I had two poached eggs in the machine this morning and it worked well. I'll give boiled eggs and soldiers a go tomorrow safe in the knowledge that I will not be burning them anymore. 😁

• Kitty

Thanks Mike, I want one, how much do they cost?

Years ago when at school, I put some eggs on to boil as part of a cookery exam. Walked away to get on with other tasks. Three quarters of an hour later there was a huge BANG!!!! Saucepan flew one way, eggs splattered up the back of the (old fashioned) cooker. The teacher grabbed the examiner and shoved her in the pantry. My classmates all looked shocked while I stood rolling around laughing. Result - I failed cookery practical! 🙄

• Mike1

Hi Kathleen, I paid about £14 for mine on Amazon but there are several different ones that do the same thing and also several different places to get one. There is one that also does omelettes as well as boiled and poached eggs but I have been told that type are not as good.

• frogmorton

Wow that looks great Mike! Foolproof eggs and a safety feature too.

Worth £14 for definite.

Oh Kath....I hope your cooking skills have improved since then? 🤣

• Mike1

Boiled eggs and soldiers this morning, eggcellent! 👍️

• frogmorton

Sounds perfect 👌 Mike🙂

• barbara12
    Hi all just pop in for some cake....love the flour less almond one thanks Kath
    Now I need one if Mike's egg cookers..i do the same put them in to boil and forget..thanks for this Mike
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mike1

I bought one for my baby sister too. She has been having problems with her eggs coming out with hard yolks instead of runny like mine, then we solved the problem - I buy large eggs, she buys medium! So now she puts slightly less water in the measuring cup that controls the cooking which works a treat.

• barbara12
    Thankyou Mike...i will order one..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty

Double Chocolate Brownies

These brownies are absolutely delicious - rich, chewy and amazingly chocolatey. Enjoy them cold or warm them up and serve with vegan ice cream for a luxurious dessert. They are ideal for keeping in the freezer and defrosting for use as and when. 

Ingredients: 

• 200g vegan dark chocolate (approx. 70% cocoa solids. Eat Your Greens use Montezumas dark chocolate buttons)
    • 200ml just-boiled water
    • ½ cup of soaked raisins or sultanas (soak in boiling water for 10 mins then drain when bloated)
    • 450g soft dark brown sugar 
    • 450g gluten-free self raising flour (eg Dove's Farm. You can also use regular self-raising flour if you're not gluten intolerant) 
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 80g cocoa or raw cacao powder 
    • 180g melted coconut oil (microwave for 2 minutes or stand the jar in hot water for 5 minutes)

Method: 

1. Preheat your oven to 175ºC (fan)/345ºF/Gas Mark 4.
    2. Using a food processor, add the chocolate and blitz until it’s a fine crumb.
    3. Add the 200ml boiling water, raisins and brown sugar. Blitz again until thoroughly combined.
    4. Add the cocoa, baking powder and melted coconut oil then pulse a few times until it’s combined. 
    5. Lastly add the flour (you may need to do this by hand in a bowl if your food processor is not very powerful as the dough can get very sticky and thick!) and pulse until thoroughly combined.
    6. Tip into your greased & lined baking tray, sprinkle large chocolate chunks intermittently on the surface then place on the middle shelf and bake for 22-24 minutes.
    7. Remove and leave to cool. Chop up the brownies into 16 rectangles and freeze! Extract for eating as desired :) They will keep for 3 months in the freezer.

Serving suggestion: vegan ice cream, cream or custard 

• frogmorton

Oh yes please @kathleenT

sigh...............

Better watch out @Mike1 might beat me to it - is there plenty?

• Mike1

You are OK, I am not a fan of chocolate cakes or brownies!