Research and exercise: how everyday movements can benefit people living with arthritis.

Options
Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 14. Sep 2020, 14:34 in Let's Move

Keeping active has been proven to help reduce pain and improve function in people with arthritis.

We’ve picked a few highlights to show why dedicated research into everyday movements is important to bring positive change for future treatments.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Exercise is all well and good if you can do it, unfortunately some of us (including me - widespread OA) are unable to exercise. I cannot sit up straight in a chair as it causes a rapid increase in pain in my spine, I use crutches to get around my bungalow and an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter outside. No car as the DVLA have withdrawn my driving licence on disability grounds and I live alone with a non-driving cat. I have been repeatedly told by Physios that there is nothing that they can do for me; a Pilates instructor who I was using on a one to one basis refused to continue the sessions as she could hear my bones crunching and grating; I was told that I was unsuitable for hydrotherapy sessions due to my neck, lack of transport and so forth. To go from a very active ex-military bloke to a cripple is bad enough without the continued emphasis which is put on the benefit of exercise when one is unable to. I have enough reminders of what I am no longer able to do in normal day to day life.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I do sympathise Mike. I'm dreading going back to my "Gentle Pilates" classes when they reopen, as my condition only raised its very ugly head after lockdown and it's been a break-neck speed down hill slide since then. The classes will simply serve to reinforce just how badly this has affected my life, and have visions of me leaving in tears half way through rather than lying on the floor waiting for a move I can actually do.

I am of course a complete lightweight compared to you, it doesn't affect my entire body, it has been over a very much shorter period, and none of the armed forces would ever have given someone like me a second glance even when "fit". But being told to exercise when all it causes is pain can be a bitter pill to swallow. I'm sure you do what you can just by moving about in your daily life, but it must be miserable feeling unable to do more when you were once so active.

Sending a hug.

• Constance
    Constance Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi Mike1 and Lilymary

So sorry to hear what you are both going through and pray that there will be a solution to the problems that you have,

I have had RA for over 35 years and felt so alone when experiencing pain and discomfort, but overtime managed to cope. I am now dealing with recently diagnosed OA in my hip and cervical spondylosis. I will try and not give in and by just contacting someone like yourselves helps as I know that I am not alone.

I am thankful to Brynmor who recently sent me a link to download for neck pain exercises and pleased to say after a few days of doing them my neck has improved slightly. Will continue with the exercises and feel that it is something to focus on and that I will get some relief soon.

Over the years I also kept a journal just to see how my days varied from one day to the next. Good days were far in between but eventually I found peace with myself and accepted the dis-ease that I have.

Stay safe

Constance