Psoriatic Arthritis

sheriffshuffles
sheriffshuffles Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi All - I'm Sam, 42 based in the South East. My Dad recommended this site to me. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis earlier this year (in my hands and knee) and recently found out i will need to go on medication (Methotrexate or Sulfazalazine) in the New Year. In the last week i've also been told i need a Patellofemoral Knee Replacement in the New Year too.

It's all been a bit of a shock to me and TBH i've not dealt with it as well as i would have hoped. I am someone who normally deals well with difficult situations and doesn't often reach out for help but this has definitely thrown me.

It's great to be part of a wider community and I am keen to be active part of this forum. Thanks for reading x

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @sheriffshuffles - welcome to the online community!

When you're first diagnosed it's easy to be overwhelmed and not know what to do - I did this too. I've found it helpful, once you're ready, to then learn what you can about your diagnosis to help you know what's going on and be ready. It's helped me be less overwhelmed. Versus Arthritis is a good place to start as they make sure that all the information they give you is correct - it's nice to be able to trust something you find online!

I'd have a look at the information below, and join in discussions here to see what people say. Everyone's very welcoming, and sometimes it's nice to just be able to have a conversation with someone who understands what you're going through without you having to explain it.

There are some other people here with Psoriatic Arthritis (PSA) - have a look at this discussion from someone else just recently joining the community: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/53271/hello

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Hi @sheriffshuffles

ive just recently also been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis 😣

Im due for an urgent appointment for steroid injections into my finger joints and to talk about diagnosis and future management!

will I have to be on long term medication?

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

Hi @Hairobsessed123

Steroid injections can be long term, but they can last months between injections. have a look at the information here:

As arthritis is a chronic condition (ongoing, for life) you can be in long term medication, but you don’t have to worry as your doctors will make sure that it is appropriate and managed - just keep in touch with them and let them know of any changes.

I hope this helps you relive any worries you have.

• Hi All - firstly I’d like to apologise for being MIA on here. I came down with COVID shortly after putting this post up and I’ve been quite ill since. The last week has seen me finally up and about and feeling more like myself although I’m still really tired. It’s crazy!

Secondly - thank you for such a warm welcome and for all the support. My op has currently been delayed due to COVID filling the hospitals and so waiting for a reschedule. I’ve also not started the medication yet where I’ve been out.

Stay safe y’all!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @sheriffshuffles

Well done getting through COVID I am glad to see you back posting🙂 I hope it's not too long before you can have your op.

Take care