Hi

Bones
Bones Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hey, I’m 47 and have arthritis and bursitis in both hips. I was diagnosed 12 months ago and have gone from being very active, walking, hiking and going to the gym 3 times a week to barely being able to walk 30 mins with poles at any pace.

It’s not easy for me to say but, I’m really struggling and it’s affecting my mental health too. We went on one of our usual walks today and we had to stop so I could sit, the pain was so bad it made me cry.

I'm here for hope, and some support as I’m currently feeling it’s only going to get worse. I take pain relief and have recently been discharged from physio after finding the exercises given too painful. I’ve now waiting for an orthopaedic referral for over a year.

I don’t feel I should be in this much pain and am too young for all this 😕.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Hello @Bones welcome to the online community.

I note you have bursitis and arthritis in both hips and this has greatly reduced your active lifestyle . The pain is at times emotionally draining and you feel as many members do and have done "Why me ?" and "I'm too young". I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful.

/www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/therapies/hydrotherapy/

I wondered whether the benefits of hydrotherapy, when we are allowed access to pools, would give you the exercise opportunity in a gentler way until you have the chance to work out which exercises you can manage.

You say that you have been waiting for a year for an orthopaedic referral, I would suggest that you ask your GP for an update and explain how the extreme pain that you are experiencing is impacting on your wellbeing.

There are lots of resources and members in the community that are able to offer you loads of help and support and we look forward to hearing from you You have taken a big step today admitting that life is not easy and is a struggle and you have come to the right place to share your ups and downs .

Do let us know how you are getting on

Take Care

Poppyjane ( Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

Hi @Bones I felt the same way I have it in my right hip and was the fastest walker in the family until 2 years ago now it takes me double the time to get to the shop and yh I have cried too when I've got back because of the pain and also the frustration of not being able to walk there normally anymore. But don't let it beat you 😊 I think that's a long wait to get a appointment mine was a lot quicker even during lock down I'd say ring your gp and remind them your still waiting good luck

• Bones
    Bones Member Posts: 3

Thanks Jewels, my gp has been really helpful, and orthopaedics rang last week check I’m still wanting to be seen 😊

I’ve had many tears recently, it can be brutal can’t it x

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Bones , I've only got it in one hip and that's bad enough. It must be awful having it in both. Do push your doc for orthopedic referrals. Yes the waiting lists are long, but that's all the more reason to get yourself onto them. I've heard from surgeons that those who "self-advocate" tend to get seen sooner than those who sit and wait their turn. They're aware that's a problem, and that it shouldn't be like that, with many deserving cases waiting in the background, but if someone doesn't tell them they're really struggling, how are they going to know?

It does get you down, sometimes you have to allow yourself to feel like rubbish from time to time, because it IS rubbish, but this site is good for advice (have a look at their sections specifically for hips, and OA in general, and also Let's Move with Leon exercises, which are light and fun, and should help you stay mobile.) Knowing there are other people out there also struggling, ie us lot on this forum, can be a life saver, as we know how it feels, and if you feel you need to speak to a real human, there's always their helpline.

xx

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

Hi @Bones yes it can sometimes the tears are for yourself and not the pain one thing I've seen is Arthur is horrible but it also makes you a stronger person 😁 x