Hip replacement and Pip

Kathryn
Kathryn Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all I was lucky enough to get a hip replacement funded by my elderly mother. I had not even been able to get an appointment with nhs consultant so I was not on a waiting list for surgery. I had my surgery 6wks ago and it’s been amazing except that my other hip is hampering my recovery and limiting the exercise, ie walking! I’m in receipt of pips but am not sure how to let them know I’ve had this operation. I’m still waiting for my nhs appointment and although I had moderate damage in my other hip a year ago it is now extremely painful. How can I discuss my pips claim if I’ve not yet seen the consultant and the only evidence of continuing pain and lack of mobility is from me?

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211
    edited 26. Apr 2021, 16:45

Hi @Kathryn  firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have recently received a hip replacement and wanting to know how or if to inform your PIPS case manager for a change of circumstance form. As this is a very specific piece of advice you are seeking I have asked one of our Financial Support colleagues to contact you. They will be best placed to advise.

Below is some useful links to information related to hip replacement surgery:

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help.

Take care and I hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Kathryn

You can always talk through your specific case with our Free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 who will be able to direct you towards help in your area.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Kathryn

Well done having your surgery we have a thread started by another 'hippy' @Lilymary who had hers on 17th of this month:

It can really help reading how someone else is doing though we are all different.

Why do you feel you need to let PIP know you have had surgery? Has it actually changed how much help you need? I should have thought it hasn't (yet) improved things?? I suspect you are not yet able to do much more?🤔

Could you hang on and do nothing until you get some advice from the person the moderator mentioned? Definitely ring the helplines they are so good.

If you are really worried you can ring PIP and ask their opinion see Mike's link above. I bet it's fear that someone will report you for a fraudulent claim. It's so unfair the pressure people feel.

take care

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Kathryn , congrats on your new hip. I hope it’s settling in well. As Toni says, I’ve started a thread called New Hip Day logging my journey, but please do jump in with your own comments, as it’s really helpful for others to understand the range of peoples’ experiences, as everyone will be a little different.