Pets' Corner

Options

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    edited 12. May 2021, 09:34
    Options

Hi @Madmactouche Poor Jojo, humans can be so horrible sometimes, your daughter was very courageous to rescue him like that, and I’m glad you felt able to offer him a loving home. It can be really hard when you’ve had such a close bond with a previous cat. There have been one or two where I struggled to feel able to “replace” them for that reason, but then I thought of the cats in rescue centres (some of which are pretty grim) desperate for a home, and me with a vacancy in mine, that I’ve always, eventually, brought a new puss into my life. They came with all sorts of emotional baggage, and such different characters, some of them real scaredy cats who’d had a horrible time, and we’ve adored them all.

Do persevere with your relationship with Jojo. He’s got a long way to go to trust all humans again, but it’s great, and understandable, that he is so close to your daughter and “getting there” with you. With a lot of consistent patience he will learn to bond better with you as well. Spend quality quiet time with him, sit with him when you’re just reading, talk quietly to him from a short distance, avoid sudden movements or making a noise around him, offer your hand for him to sniff or head rub rather than just going in and stroking him, play with him with toys on string, bribe him with treats (!) etc, so that he (a) learns you’re not a threat and (b) he can control the situation by approaching you, instead of the other way round.

(I used to follow a cat behaviour forum and picked up so many useful tips, they really helped with some of the more unhappy cats we’ve had.)

Looking forward to seeing pics of Jojo!

• Northernhippy
    Options

Lovely idea to have a pets corner. I foster dogs & pigs so am happy to join in, if I can figure out the tech! This is my adopted dog, can you guess his name?

• Lilymary
    Options

He’s gorgeous! Love his jacket too

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Erm..... @Northernhippy is it erm Bosun!!!! he is very sweet! Pics of the pifs next please when you've got a minute😁 bit cheeky that, but I love piggies!

@Madmactouche You found it!!! Pet's Corner is lovely plenty to read back if you have time ever. How lovely to have a rescue cat in Jojo living with you. I already love your daughter she sounds to be a very very good girl - well done for bringing her into the world and up to be so strong🙂

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307
    Options

Good on your daughter Madmactouche she sounds like me I went to a horse sale and witnessed abuse of the animals many years ago. Following a discussion with my brother who worked for DEFRA my friend and I joined a police and DEFRA operation we posed as schoolkids ( both in our 20,s) and filmed the sale to get evidence. There was a big operation and several people were charged, we later bought 7 ponies to save them going for meat to Europe.

Jojo sounds like he has every right to be a little stand off but it sounds like he has a great home now but your family have given him a chance of regaining his faith in the human race.

• Northernhippy
    Options

Happy to oblige frogmorton, these three are Daisy, Maisy & Twiglet just chillin in the wallow on a sunny day. It’s a hard life being a rescue pig!

• Geraldine
    Geraldine Member Posts: 18
    Options

Just discovered Pets section .. love it, this is Martha Guinness a lovely lively Welsh Sheep Girl. She is five, and with all the past exercise, blame her for wearing out my hips, but won't have it anymore way

• Lilymary
    Options

She’s beautiful @Geraldine , who can resist a face like that

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

My baby girl is 6 today! She had her favourite turkey breast for breakfast, hand fed of course!

Happy Birthday Vixen.

• Lilymary
    Options

Aww, happy birthday Vixen! what a lucky puss, turkey AND a new bag!

• frogmorton
    Options

Oh my they are adorable @Northernhippy those faces I love them!! and to know no-one is going to eat them even better🙂

and @Geraldine Martha Guiness looks a lovely dog bless her. She's helping you keep going maybe???

Always like to see a cat in a bag @Mike1 🤗

• Mike1
    Options

There was a flash of black and white outside my front window this morning which I caught in the corner of my eye whilst watching the TV, next thing I noticed Vixen hanging from the bird feeder tray by her claws! She missed the birds as usual. She then came and sat on the front mat and gave her paws some serious attention and soothing licks!

You can see how high up the tray is in this picture.

• Lilymary
    Options

Little monkey! (Almost literally!)

• Lilymary
    Options

You couldn’t make this up - Tobycat brought a mouse home late last night, which dashed off under the washing machine before we could catch it. Mr LM found it this morning when it fell out of the cereal box into his breakfast bowl and ran off across the dining table. 🐭😱😹

• Mike1
    Options

BRILLIANT!😹 😹

Vixen brought a live mouse in on Saturday and dropped it on the lounge floor, I just shouted "get it out" and she did. I often find that if there is a live mouse in the kitchen or lounge (she will be sitting looking at where it is) I open the front or back door and 9 times out of 10 the mouse will sniff the fresh air and go out on their own.

• Lilymary
    Options

We think that’s what happened, as the French windows were open. But we’ve had a few that he brought in colder weather in that simply disappeared. With one we even opened the front door while the mouse was nearby and it took one look and ran back in! Anyway, this is where the mouse chewed through the top of the box

• Lilymary
    Options

We’ve found the nouse, it’s under the sofa in the dining room, happily tucking into all the peanut butter we baited the humane traps with... yes, we didn’t set them properly. Now sorted, hopefully it won’t be too long before we can rehome him. Meanwhile Toby checks up on him from time to time to make sure the dangerous intruder doesn’t go off with the family valuables.

• Lilymary
    Options

Our other cat, Elsie, has a whole different attitude to other living creatures, she just wants to make friends with them all. We just went out into the garden to round her up for the night, and Mr LM caught her at the top of the steps deep in conversation with a young hedgehog, nose to nose about 18” apart. She’s such a sweet cat. The things you see when you don’t have a camera.

• Lilymary
    Options

The mouse drama is resolved. He finally made it into the peanut butter laden trap, having spent another afternoon under the sofa (I had been getting concerned about him getting dehydrated so put a milk bottle top full of water down there with him), and Mr LM released him safely away from the cats this morning. What a tale that little fella would have to tell his mates!

• Mike1
    Options

Well done! 😹

• frogmorton
    Options

Poor ickle mouse @Lilymary safe and sound now though thank goodness!

🐀🐭🐁

Well done!

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    edited 5. Jul 2021, 15:37
    Options

It's time to 'do' the flea treatment again. Probably need some wormer too for Bandit. I tend to do all 3 cats with flea, then allow a week or so before doing the wormer. While Sam was here it was tablets with fish paste for all of them as he needed dosing often as he was allergic to fleas, now he has gone I'm going to use the drops on the coat and hope Lynx (not the one causing havoc in Cornwall) doesn't lick it off the others!

It's funny when you are reminded of a cat that's gone - he is my backdrop on my tablet so I still see him every day, and I see his sisters and foster mum too of course.

Here's Sam and foster mum Lynx Sam is at the back. You can just about make out the ear tufts for Lynx

• Mike1
    Options

For some strange reason my Vixen does not have fleas! As I live in a village in a rural location and my cat loves to jump over the wall into the fields next to me, I religiously applied monthly expensive flea drops to the back of her neck. About 18 months ago she became rather feisty when I tried giving them to her so I let it go for a couple of months, instead I use a flea comb which she enjoys and concentrate around her head, back end, and armpits which are the key areas that the pesky varmints live in. In the past 18 months I have not found one flea or flea dirt in her; I also wipe where she sleeps with sticky tape and again have found no sign. She is now 6 so I wonder whether using the flea drops over her first 4 1/2 years has created some sort of immunity. Anyway I won't become complacent and will continue to comb her.

• frogmorton
    Options

Aw @wazz42 I am so sorry it's so tough to lose a beloved animal like Sam and there are constant reminders aren't there?😓 ((()))

I have taken to getting the 3 monthly drop flea treatments for mine (might help you @Mike1 if you need to do Vixen again in future) as my puss was also shying away from me.

Take care both xxx

• Mike1
    Options

Now, I am very used to Vixen bringing in the odd mouse - alive for her and dead for me - however last night she excelled herself! I have been up since 3am having had my usual 3 hours kip, turned on the TV for company as usual and made a brew. I saw something move out of the corner of my eye in the dim light from the TV, when I turned my head imagine my surprise when I saw a toad walking across the carpet!! Where she got it from I do not know, I have a pond in my back garden but it is a raised pond made out of a huge planter and it only houses Fred and Ginger and a few snails. Anyway after the initial shock I got it and put it in my pond as it was obviously a bit dehydrated. I now have to sort out some sort of ladder for it dreckly so it can get out of the pond if it wants to. I have a water lily in it so it can get onto a leaf for air.