New to Versus Arthritis

Options
UshaT
UshaT Member Posts: 13
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello, my name is Usha and I have been living with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 12, I am now 47.

I was fortunate to be diagnosed very quickly by my then, GP. The arthritis was very aggressive and affected all my joints, mainly wrists and fingers, which all naturally fused over the years. I alway say that 'I'm fortunate that I got the disease at a young age' because as you get older, you manage and adapt better. The disease isn't hereditary in my family, I was the chosen one!

I've been on a cocktail of drugs over the years', most recently on Rituximab Infusions with weekly Methotrexate injections, which seems to be working well.

It's great joining the group and I look forward to connecting with you.

All the best

Usha

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hello, @UshaT and welcome to the forum. Your first post has now been moderated and released to the forum. You will find there are already some comments from other members.

I see that you have a lifetime experience of JRA and have dealt with it well, I am sure that others will find your story encouraging.

You will already be familiar with the details of your condition, but here are some links that may help you..

I note that you are seeking suggestions on handling a kettle. My kettle has a handle on top and I deal with it "backhanded" that is with my palm pointing upwards. This means that there is less need to raise the elbow.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom

• UshaT
    Options

Thank you Tom and thanks for the kettle suggestion :-)

It's nice to be able to help and comment on other sufferers.

• gailwilk
    gailwilk Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi. I’m new here. I’ve been coping with arthritis in my back for some time now. Recently I have such awful pain in my ankle which after Xray is arthritis. Yuk!! Can’t do much when it’s bad. I’m 73 and used to be quite active but this floors me. I take codeine and paracetamol but not much help.

anyway. HELLO to all.

• HI @gailwilk

Welcome to the online community! I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering with your back and ankle so much but you've come to the right place. It's awful when you're taking medication but it just isn't doing anything. Have you spoken to your GP about other options?

We have some information here that could be useful to you in the meantime:

Please do feel free to create your own post to tell us a bit about yourself if you feel comfortable, and pop along to our forums and join in where you like. We are a very friendly bunch and all here to listen.

Take care, and let us know how you get on,

Sarah

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

good morning, I am on the urgent waiting for hip replacement. The artritis in my hip is unbearable and I move around in my flat with the help of a walker. Because of leaning on the walker my hands hurt a lot as well now.

I hear about steroid, does that help with the pain and can I ask the GP about it?

Because all my surgery does is give painkillers and now I have strong cocodemol and they don't help anymore.

Anybody with some advice?

Thank you,

• UshaT
    Options

Hi Dutch1

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. Steroids are an immediate solution however, they can weaken your joints and over time, can cause osteoporosis. I would suggest hot and cold packs, they really work when you're in a lot of pain. There are other painkillers like Naproxen which are very strong but I would suggest talking to your GP for further advice and guidance.

Good luck

• gailwilk
    gailwilk Member Posts: 2
    Options

I’ll try the stronger painkillers. Good advice thanks.

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Morning @Dutch1

Welcome to the Online Community Forum. Thank You for your post.

I really hope you get your hip replacement soon. Have you seen your doctor regarding how you are feeling when you walk with your walker?

They might be able to suggest something else for you.

Regarding the steroids, I personally would speak to your consultant (if you see one), if not then your GP. I have attached a link with some information on about steroids for you to have a read beforehand.

Take Care & Stay Safe

AJ_x