Options
Cathybird
Cathybird Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I have oa in back and right hip had it for long time has anyone else been told they are to young to have operation on there hip

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @Cathybird

Lovely to meet you, thank you for joking this great community.

You have had osteoarthritis in your hip and back for quite a while and have been told you can’t have a replacement joint until you are older.

The problem is that replacement joints have a 'shelf' life, so the younger you are when you have an op the more the chance of your replacement needing to be replaced. This is possible but isn’t as easy as the first one. Also joints need to be at a severe stage before replacement- this isn’t always reflected by the amount of pain they are in strangely.

You might want to chat to this new member who also joined today and has issues with her hip.

Here is a link to some exercises for hips

please post to share any problems you are having, I'm sure we can help

Take care

Yvonne x

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Unless, of course, you can afford to go private. Note the success of Andy Murray's hip replacement!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

@Mike1 , my first ortho consultant was at pains to point out, within minutes of me meeting him for the first time (and without prompting) that Andy Murray only had a resurfacing op, not full replacement, and was furious that he would be ruining the surgeon’s good work! He seemed to think that should nave been more important to Andy than remaining a world tennis champion! He was also at pains to tell me that hip patients shouldn’t expect to get the same results from their hip surgery. I was the class duffer at tennis at school, couldn’t even serve properly by the time I left, so I wasn’t getting my hopes up 😂!

sorry @Cathybird , as Yvonne says, the issue is that the joints can wear out. My (second) ortho consultant (the other one left me depressed every time I saw him) said my new hip should last 15-20 years. I’m 61, and my hip had reached the point of me being in constant pain 24/7 even on massive doses of prescription drugs and becoming unable to work or walk for more than a potter round the supermarket by the time I had it replaced 10 weeks ago. My sister was similar with her knees in her 50s, having worn them out teaching aerobics for 20+ years, but her surgeon told her to tough it out for as long as she could for the same reason. However, in her case the damage got so bad she did have to have them both replaced before she was 60 (and she’s still teaching a few classes a week at 67).