Hi everyone;-)

Jalexp
Jalexp Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I have recently been told I need both knees replaced (total knee replacement).

I had an injury in right knee 40 years ago which has really affected both legs now. My 'good' knee is worse than the bad one now;-) with osteoarthritis.

I tried to get a referral back to a surgeon who did a debridement of the right knee but was told I have to go through a certain consultant that I was referred to by GP.

I've been told I need these ops - I still work and keep fit, but have been told I have to have a physio appointment first...the physio dept have contacted me to say they just can't fit me in because of Covid, which is understandable but can't get knees done until I've seen them. Very frustrating as I feel I will be unable to continue a fitness regime if legs worsen, and that means not being as fit and strong when I finally have my knees done!

Anyone else had this frustrating experience?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @Jalexp and welcome to the online community,

I understand that you’ve recently been told that you need a total knee replacement on both knees and you’d like to hear from other members about their experience of waiting for referrals and trying to maintain a good level of fitness before you’ve had the operation. Many of our members live with osteoarthritis of the knee and some have undergone knee replacement surgery. I’m sure you will find that they are willing to share their experiences with you.

You might be interested to read the story of Keir, one of our members who underwent knee replacement surgery and what a difference it has made to his life:

The Versus Arthritis website offers some suggestions for how to manage your knee pain. It recommends that you approach things very carefully of course, but while you’re waiting for the physio appointment, you might find that some of the suggestions will help to alleviate the pain and keep you more mobile:

Best wishes to you, and do let us know how you get on,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Tanyllyn
    Tanyllyn Member Posts: 2

I have been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis, my pain killers aren't a lot of help I do walk three times a week any other suggestions please

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Tanyllyn and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have inflammatory arthritis and pain killers aren't helping. It is always worth going back to your GP and seeing if there is anything else that can help. We also have a website and search facility that contains a lot of useful information and to help I've put a couple of links below, but I would suggest having a look yourself.

Another good website to look at is

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jalexp
    Jalexp Member Posts: 3

I can tell you that I was referred to Escape Pain through my GP. I did the exercise twice a week at home, via internet together with another couple of people who had chronic pain.

It really was a positive experience and helped me a great deal. If you can get signed up @Tanyllyn I think you will get real benefit from it. Take care John@Jalexp