Back hurts so much

Options
Macdee73
Macdee73 Member Posts: 50
edited 21. Dec 2021, 12:04 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis 4 years ago. At first it was my ankles then my left hip. Now my back hurts sooo much. The lower back and mid back is so painful i can't sleep or do certain activities or work. Any advice please help .

Tagged:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @Macdee73

I use a variety of methods to help my back when it kicks off now it might sound feeble, but my preferred method is my trusty wheatbag! The kind you put in the microwave? I also have a new tens (my third over the years!) and sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and a contoured pillow which in theory keeps my neck aligned.

In addition to this I add my own prescribed medication some of which are slow release so do not wear off while I am asleep and allow any break-through pain. You could, if you haven't already speak to your GP, for help. Maybe some imaging so you know exactly what is going on, or some medication to help things relax at night. Getting enough sleep is just so important.

Best of luck

• Macdee73
    Macdee73 Member Posts: 50
    Options

@frogmorton thank you will try to do that. Going to see my Gp so that i get imaging while its early. Feels like arthritis has creeped onto my back bone.

• frogmorton
    Options

Good I am glad you need to know what is going on.

I hope your GP is helpful let us know how you get on and take care.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I find that being in my recliner with legs up and back at about 45 degrees minimises my back pain, I also have the back of my wheelchair set at an angle but not quite so much as my recliner.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Many years ago, when my work involved a lot of driving, I learnt that it was better for my back to have the seat racked back rather than in the more upright position I had been using. Also I found regular small adjustments to the seating position helped. My work involved very long hours hunched over a computer keyboard which certainly contributed to my back problems. A recliner is the most comfortable seat I have at home.

• frogmorton
    Options

Just proves how different we all are!

I have my car seat super upright (as recommended by the back surgeon who operated) and honestly it helps, but heat, heat, heat I love best of all for my OA pains 😊

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698
    Options

During all the testing I was put through before moving onto biologic treatment for psoriatic arthritis they sent me for a lower back x-ray. Since my lower back wasn't really affected by the PsA I asked why and was told that the state of your sacroiliac joints are a good indicator of your arthritis levels.

https://www.arthritis-health.com/blog/types-arthritis-cause-sacroiliac-joint-pain

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

I second what Sticky says plus exercises to keep my back stronger and mobile.

its a grin, honest!