Problems with my memory

MaryH
MaryH Member Posts: 12
edited 7. Jan 2022, 10:52 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Can memory problems be linked to arthritis or not i was just wondering that because i am starting to have problems with my memory i forget what day it is and get quite snappy at times would u say that is some thing to worry about then i just need some advice

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

This is something I contend with too, I often have to check what day it is! I did a quick Google search and came up with the following:

"Many people with rheumatoid arthritis, or RA, report having trouble thinking clearly, problems with memory, and difficulty concentrating. These symptoms, known as brain fog, are widespread in people with chronic inflammatory conditions, including RA, Sjogren's syndrome, and multiple sclerosis."

and

"In a  large cross-sectional study, OA and related joint pain were strongly associated with perceived memory loss; these associations may be partially mediated by sleep and mood disturbance."

Either way it may be worth chatting with your GP to rule out anything else.

• MaryH
    MaryH Member Posts: 12

ok thank u very much for that hope ur doing ok then

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 7. Jan 2022, 10:51

Hi @MaryH and welcome to the Online Community.

Strangely, there is very little advice for me to sign-post on our web site regarding "brain fog", memory or concentration difficulties, and yet it is a common experience for many with arthritis. It seems to be tied in with fatigue, good sleep and diet, decent exercise and levels of stress.

You might like to take a look at our page on managing fatigue, as I'm sure some of this will be applicable to the problems that go along with memory:

Hope this helps.

EDIT

There's a good conversation relating to brain fog in our archive which shows you are not alone!

• Dear MaryH

Thank you for your posting on the forum I am sorry to hear that you are having memory problems and you ask if this could be linked to arthritis and also that you get quite snappy at times. I see that others have responded to your post on the forum. I am unsure which type of arthritis you have but a condition called Fibromyalgia can cause forgetfulness and poor concentration however, you should speak to your GP about your concerns about your memory and perhaps find out what could be causing this so that you can be reassured. Our mental health and emotional wellbeing can be effected by arthritis, and this can then effect our moods. I have put a link below to our information on managing our emotions when we have arthritis. I hope that this is helpful to you.

·        Emotional wellbeing - Support and self help

You can call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can do this by calling our freephone helpline on 0800 5200 520, weekdays 9am – 6pm.

Kind Regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor