Exercises for Hip OA

Options
Whiskey26
Whiskey26 Member Posts: 88
edited 11. Jan 2022, 11:55 in Chat to our Helpline Team

I have severe osteoarthritis in both hips and have been given some exercises to do, by my physio. The problem is, these exercises are done on the floor and I find it extremely difficult and painful to get down onto the floor, not to mention lying flat, or on my side to do them. I have considered trying to do them on my bed, but have only attempted 'the bridge' exercise so far. I wondered if you know of any exercises that I could do comfortably, in a standing position, that would help my hips and the referred pain in my knee? (Can't do any sitting, as I don't have the correct height of chair). I can't weight bear on my right leg, so any exercises I do would have to allow me to hold onto a kitchen worktop, for example. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Whiskey26

Thank you for reaching out in the forum. Sorry to hear that you are struggling with the exercises you have been given, but wonderful to hear you are trying some form of exercise.

We have a range of exercises on our website and youtube channel, such as let’s move with Leon,  a recent stretching section, I have added the one on hips below that has a few standing exercises which you can do with support, you will also find a link for strengthening the knees.

I hope this helps,  please do call our helpline if you require more help or would like the dvd for let's move with Leon, 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

https://bit.ly/3lHI2TN

Kind Regards

Sarah, Helpline advisor

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I would really suggest you go back to your physio and explain the problem. I'm surprised they didn't check this while you were being assessed, it's a pretty fundamental issue. However, post THR I did manage quite a few of my exercises safely lying on the bed. True, when I could get down there, and more crucially, back up again, it was easier and more stable on the floor.

I'd recommend Let's Move with Leon too, I couldn't do much exercise at all pre THR as my hip was too far gone and far too painful when it finally made itself known, but I found him really helpful post op. It will help you to keep the rest of the body mobile as well - you'll be surprised how much the pain in your hips makes the rest of you tense up, and that impacts back into your hips again. It's also quite good at cheering you up, and a smile is great therapy.

• AnnR
    AnnR Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi Lilymary,

I can’t recommend ‘Let’s Move with Leon’ enough. I’m waiting for a hip replacement and find getting down and up off the floor really difficult, so his hip exercises are great. They only last about 15mins and you need nothing special and most are done on the bed or standing up. I have also found going to the local swimming baths the best. I don’t swim, mainly because of my right hip and I have a very bad arthritic left shoulder, but I bought one of those long tubes that float and do the most amazing exercises that are unthinkable out of water. I can pull my knees up and open my hips out. Best of all, because I have arthritis I get a reduced rate.

As soon as I’m out of the water I’m back to being stiff, but in the pool it makes a difference. Later on in the day I think I do move better and I feel really good about thinks. I also asked if I could go in the ‘little’ pool, and was told I could as it was a family pool, but it’s a lot warmer than the main pool which helps with the pain and is lovely to relax in. It’s worth asking, even if you’re a non swimmer it could help.

All the best to you, don’t despair there’s a lot of other exercises you can do without going down on the floor.

Ann

• AnnR
    AnnR Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi Lilymary,

I’m so sorry, I mixed you up with Whiskey26. Not concentrating. Sorry Whiskey26 the above was meant for you and before I make any more mistakes I’ll go. 🙃

Ann

• LizB12
    LizB12 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi@Whiskey26 . I have started doing the new morning stretch routine which motivates me to start the day. I like the option of standing or sitting to do the exercises as well as my exercises on the bed. I watched the Christmas special routine video but missed out the floor exercises which I cannot do either. Fortunately I carried on watching the video and welcomed the cooling down ones. There were quite a few exercises that were new to me. A good variety and a lot of fun 😊

• Whiskey26
    Options

Hi @AnnR

So sorry, only just seen your reply regarding hip exercises with Leon. I will take a look. I've got Covid at the moment, so any form of exercise is out of the question, but I'm hoping to be back to normal soon. Thanks again for your advice.

• Whiskey26
    Options

Hi @LizB12 Apologies for not replying to your message. I've not been in here since just before Christmas and I have Covid at the moment, so I've felt too poorly to write until now. I am determined to find some exercises that will help me, so can you let me know where I can find the morning stretch routine that you talk about? Any exercises where I can use my bed sound good too. I cannot get down on the floor or up off it either. Thank you.

• LizB12
    LizB12 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi@Whiskey26 so sorry to hear that you’re troubled with Covid. I hope you’re soon feeling better. The morning routine exercises are part of the full body stretching exercises led by physiotherapist Jay. Put into the search on the website. You will also find them on the special Versus Arthritis site on YouTube or Facebook Watch. I am trying to motivate myself to do regular exercises by making a weekly plan as suggested by Versus Arthritis. I have bought a posh notebook that hopefully will encourage me 😊

• Whiskey26
    Options

Hi @LizB12 I too have a posh notebook, so I may steal your idea!! I will have a Google and see what I can find.