Booster after 3rd dose.

I wonder if somebody is able to offer me some advice.

I am immuno-suppressed and therefore have had 3 doses of the Covid vaccine. My most recent one was in Oct 2021.

I was told that I would also be getting a booster 6 months after the 3rd dose, but have more recently heard that it should be 3 months after the 3rd dose.

I haven't heard anything about how and when to book this booster dose. Should I wait to hear from the NHS or my RA Dept? I am conscious that I am almost at the 3 months since my 3rd dose stage.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kind Regards.

Comments

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@Becky88 I’d ask the RA doc, they are far more aware of the condition & your history. I asked my GP similar questions and he said I should refer to the hospital as they has no idea.

• Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96

Thank you for your reply, Arthuritis.

• Dear Becky88

Thank you for your posting on the forum. You were told that you would be getting a booster 6 months after your 3rd dose but have recently heard that it should be 3 months after the 3rd dose. However, you haven’t heard anything and wanted to know how and when to book this booster dose.

Throughout the pandemic we have been updating our Covid-19 and arthritis information as the COVID-19 situation evolves across the UK and guidance changes over time. According to the information we currently have, if your initial course was three vaccine doses because you have a suppressed immune system, then the booster will be 3 months after your third dose. If you had a third dose, your GP or rheumatology team will invite you for your booster dose when it's due. If you have a letter inviting you for your third dose, you should be able to get your booster at a walk-in COVID-19 vaccination site, but you'll need to take the letter with you.

As you have had your third primary vaccination but not heard anything from your health care professionals, we would say to contact your GP again or Rheumatology Team to ensure that you are on the list and will receive a letter soon.

You can find out more about the primary vaccination and booster vaccination guidance here. It’s important to check this page regularly for updates:

·              Vaccines for COVID-19 – your questions answered

You can also call NHS 119 to ask questions or need help with coronavirus vaccinations. Calls to 119 are free from mobiles and landlines. The lines are open every day from 7am to 11pm. The link for this information is below.

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful: 

·              NHS 119  

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you require any further information or would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team you can call us on 0800 520 0520 (Weekdays 9am – 6pm).

Kind regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• Becky88

Thank you very much, Dawn. I appreciate you sending me this useful information.

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129

Hi Becky

I'm in exactly the same situation as you,had my 3rd primary dose on 9th October so it's 13 weeks exactly today. If I don't hear anything from GP or hospital by early next week I think I'll contact my rheumatology advice line.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Becky88

Dear KazandNoo,

Thank you for your reply. I have managed to book a booster (4th dose) but have not yet received a letter from my GP or RA Dept. I am hoping that the letter inviting me for my 3rd dose will be acceptable as proof that I am eligible, when I turn up at the appointment.

• bazzad
    bazzad Member Posts: 4

I’m in the same boat had three covid injections last one be early Nov, I’ve got my booster booked for early Feb good luck

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129

Hi Becky

I think your letter inviting you for 3rd dose will be ok as proof of eligibility, I have one too and mentioned this to GP receptionist as I saw on their Facebook page they're holding a 4th jab clinic tomorrow for immunosuppressed patients and she's booked me in for it.