My hip replacement diary

Options

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@swimmer60 I had restless legs before my op but fortunately, not now I have more of an ache in my back and sore heels so I'm padding everything out to try to get comfortable but it's not happening. My Fitbit is definitely not happy with my sleep pattern. I really hope your sleep improves, I think once our sleep is disturbed it is so hard to get it back on track.

And yes, I often seem to have aches, rather than pains, mainly the top of my thigh/groin area.

I have a sock helper and really couldn't manage without it as I hate having cold feet. It was really cheap to buy from the internet and surprisingly easy to use.

I agree there is different advice floating around. In my hospital they said a definite 'no' to raised toilet seats/chairs and I have to say although a little awkward I can manage but I'm quite short and am not sure how taller people cope and keep the 90 degree rule. I also had a nurse who insisted I had a shower when everyone else had clearly said no shower for two weeks. I had to sneak and have a wash and get dressed so she thought I'd managed alone as she told me she was coming back to help me.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Janlyn

It's so confusing! I got given a raised toilet seat. I took it off about 10 days ago but it felt so odd and awkward I put it straight back on!

Was told not to shower till my bandage came off permanently, I think that was three weeks down the line, but in fact, I was having a half shower, keeping my operated side as dry as possible, before that. I just couldn't bear the strtip wash any more!

I found the first couple of weeks really difficult. You come out of the op on such a high, then come down to earth with quite a bump.

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 9

I feel I'm getting about better today, another bad night but not as bad as the night before. Got up at 5.00am had a drink and read then slept deeply in the chair. I think this may be the plan until I'm allowed to move around more. Definitely easier to get into and out of bed now. Steps definitely easier. Only taking paracetamols for pain. Bruise seems to be maturing. Exercising continuing to get a little easier each day. No nausea/constipation and enjoying a good, if easy to prepare, diet. Addicted to oranges and orange juice so I think my body is telling me what it needs. Most things I need to do around the house I can do, albeit not to previous standards.

@swimmer60 I think if you need the raised toilet seat it's good you've put it back on. My hospital said they prefer us not to use them as we'll struggle to cope when we go out. I admit I think I can only cope because I've a radiator and bath to use to haul myself up and down. I've definitely strengthened my arm muscles!

I keep looking at my shower and wondering how I'll cope. Mine is over the bath so I'll have to find a way to climb in first. I was thinking I'd be able to attempt it at two weeks but three will make me want to try an alternative solution. I haven't managed to wash my hair yet - just too complicated, so it's tied up, back, any which way I can to try to look semi-decent.

I was more relieved than on a high after surgery so I've not had such a high to fall from, but I can see what you mean. I'm hoping once over the two week marker progress might start to move faster and easier.

Take care everyone, x

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 10

Still feel to be making progress. Getting around and doing mostly what I need to do. Still struggling to sleep or get comfortable in bed though. Seems best to give in and get up, have an extremely early breakfast then a couple of hours sleep in the chair. Another couple of naps during the day seem to help too. Otherwise quite comfortable. Still only using paracetamols for pain. Think I will attempt a little walk outside tomorrow now the storm has weakened.

Hope you've all had a peaceful, pain-free as possible day, x

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

Well done @Janlyn

You are doing fantastically well!

If it helps my sleep is always horrendously disrupted post and sort of surgery for months in my case, but it does settle. I hope it will for you too.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Chris1
    Chris1 Member Posts: 40
    Options

Morning Janet

Well done you are doing so well. I'm still uncomfortable at night and doing the same as you. Enjoy your first walk out. You definitely feel your getting back to normal when you're done it. Don't walk too far at first baby steps

Have a good day xxx

• Janlyn
    Options

Thank you, @Ellen it's reassuring to know it's normal and I really can't complain as everything else is going well. I feel fortunate.

• Janlyn
    Options

@Chris1 Thank you, I am trying not to let it bother me and fortunate that I can move around and sit fairly comfortably once I'm up and sleep in a chair. I've not managed to get out yet, but finally got round to finding a way to wash my hair. Also got some more tidying up and washing done so need a little rest now. Haven't quite got used to knowing how little I can do without having a rest, but determined to go for a walk later even if it's the shortest walk ever!

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 11

Happy to say I feel I am progressing. Managed to wash my hair this morning, I've a lot of hair and didn't feel I could stand for long enough up to now. Managing to do most things around the house albeit a little slowly. Been outside for my first walk - very slow, steady and short but I managed it. Paracetamol still coping with the pain which is less than the pain I had been living with. Surgery site can get a little sore but I keep plentiful soft pillows/cushions around and once padded it stops complaining mainly. Still struggling to get comfortable and sleep at night but resigned to getting up early, sometimes very early, then going into a deep sleep two or three times a day in the chair. All in all feeling very happy I've had it done.

Best wishes to all here, x

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 12

I feel to be moving forward again. Another very short walk but felt good to be out. Actually slept a little better last night - nothing like properly but just a little longer and better. Got up early and seem to have settled into having two or three deep sleeps during the day which feel really good. Finding I'm not always using my sticks to move around a room - just steadying myself on the furniture. Really amazed at the difference to quality of life - I'm standing up much straighter.

Best wishes to all, x

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 13

Feeling really grateful to feel I've made progress again. Slept a little better, dozed a couple of times today, been for a walk and posted a letter, it's the little, normal things that are now possible that make a difference. Realising just how much pain I had been in for so long. I know it's different for everyone but I hope it helps people about to start this journey that in less than two weeks life is starting to feel more positive already.

Take care everyone, x

• swimmer60
    Options

@Janlyn

Hi there! Sounds as if you are making steady progress, well done. Big wind and pouring rain make walking hazardous don't they. Take care. At first I washed my hair over the kitchen sink, using jugs of water. Made myself and floor wet but it worked!

10 weeks tomorrow from op.

Had visitors over Christmas so raised seat came off and has stayed off! I'm slowly getting used to the new/old height.

Walked 6 miles on boxing day, no stick, it was fine. Still very wary of dogs jumping up, though. Got on the floor to do my pilates too, was a bit anxious at first but was fine. You just can't do pilates on your bed, no matter what physio said!

Ordered bulbs and plants which will be delivered end Feb/March. Reckon I'll be up for proper gardening by then. BFN! x

• Janlyn
    Options

@swimmer60 Sometimes I think we get so tired not only from the surgery but from working out how we can do the things we need to do differently! I looked at the kitchen sink for my hair and then settled on the shower spray over the bath. I figured I'd manage to keep more water in the bath than the sink. I should be able to have a proper shower in a couple of days and as my shower's over the bath I'm already looking at the bath and wondering how I'll get in it. It's not the sort of thing I can ask anyone to help me with!

And yes, the wind and rain does make it hazardous and I admit I'm terrified of slipping, but equally felt I needed to get out and make an attempt. I thought my wellies would be easiest to put on and have the best grip. I hadn't thought far enough ahead and really struggled to get them off once home. I know my feet and ankles are a bit swollen which didn't help.

10 weeks and you're walking 6 miles - that's absolutely amazing - well done. And on the floor for pilates - I can't imagine a time I will ever get on the floor again so I'll probably be asking for instructions. Before surgery I actually got down on the floor a couple of times and couldn't get back up easily. I even find my normal exercises difficult on my bed - the standing ones are far easier.

It sounds as though you'll be more than ready for proper gardening soon and it is motivating to think I might not be too far behind you, take care, x

• swimmer60
    Options

@Janlyn

My shower is over my bath too. Before surgery my operated leg wasn't great and my daughter kept on at me (!) about it being a hazard so I bought a step to use beside the bath, making getting in and out easier, also a very large non slip mat for the bath itself. So......once I'd been given to go ahead for showering, I stood on the step, held onto the shower unit, put my "good" leg into the bath, holding on tight I kept my operated leg straight and lifted it into the bath. Getting out was tricky too, but it was grand to have a shower again, washing down with flannels was :(

Having said all that, have you got friends with walk in showers you could use at the moment? Friends offered but I didn't take them up because of my determination to become as independent as soon as possible, which was stupid!

Yes, getting socks/shoes/wellingtons/leggings/track suit bottoms on is hard, but getting them off is worse!

• Chris1
    Options

Well done Janlyn and swiimmer60 it's good hearing your progress. 6 miles that's great well done. I look forward to the time I can do my walks again. It's been a long time . My other knee has to be done then its free from pain. 3 weeks today I went for a short walk still with 2 crutches, I use one indoors. My confidence is getting better. I did choose the kitchen to wash my hair . I've did get rather wet. Its bliss I can now shower again. I love hearing other people's journey It is such help.

Take care everyone xx

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 14

@swimmer60 I bought myself a large non-slip mat before surgery which I'm going to be grateful for. I've just been up to have a practice and found that I can get in the bath reasonably easily surprisingly. The toilet is next to the bath so by sitting on it I can raise/lift my operated leg in, then follow it with my good leg and pull myself up on the hand rail. I must be gaining a little strength in my operated leg as I couldn't lift it until very recently. Getting out was a bit more difficult and I'm not sure I kept to the 90 degree rule but I think I can improve on that.

I must admit I haven't found my strip washes as bad as I had thought and have been using a foot spa to soak my feet in, which has felt to be a luxury. A good proper shower and hair wash will be a proper luxury though. I know what you mean about using friends' walk-in showers, it's nice to be independent and find a way. At least it's behind you now and hopefully me after tomorrow.

And you're absolutely right - I've often been so proud of myself for getting dressed, then found the real challenge has come from getting undressed. It can be exhausting, but mostly I've managed with my grabber and long-handled shoe horn, with even a little help from my stick.

@Chris1 I agree it's such a help to hear other people's stories and find it gives me confidence. Hoping you get your other knee done soon and get yourself free from pain. I hadn't realised how much pain I was in.

I'm starting to sleep ever so slightly better on a night-time although I still tend to be awake and waiting for 5.00am which seems to be my new time to get up. A coffee and toast and then a sleep in the chair then wash/dressed and on with the day seems to be my current norm. A further couple of deep sleeps in the chair for an hour or two during the day seems to be my routine. This sleep is so refreshing and deep and is maybe making up for months of not having a proper night's sleep due to pain. Paracetamol still holding the pain and I'm not always reminded by the pain that my next dose is due so really happy with that. Eating well, exercising easier and walking getting a little quicker and easier.

Take care everyone and all the very best, xx

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 15

Went for my wound check today and the nurse removed my dressing and said the bruising and swelling were normal and she was happy with them. I have a 'lumpy' bit at the top of the scar which she said was normal too. I've had my first shower and life seems to be returning to some kind of normal again for which I'm very grateful.

I'm finding I'm not using two sticks, and sometimes not even one, around the house although outside I feel I need two and feel unsafe without them.

I'm still only on paracetamol and sometimes I have to remind myself to take them, whereas until recently the pain reminded me. I am wondering when I will be able to reduce them. I have finished my injections to prevent blood clots and the doctor has now put me on 150mg daily of aspirin daily for a month and I suppose this is controlling pain too.

Still struggling to sleep/get comfortable at night but sleeping easily and deeply throughout the day,.

Hope everyone else is going on well, xx

• Denis68
    Denis68 Member Posts: 54
    Options

@Janlyn great to hear your progress and gives me hope that I might be cleared to shower when I see the nurse in a few days.

I've had a couple of achy days so am still taking the occasional codeine but overall the aches and pains are getting less.

But as you say, I too am beginning to feel some things are returning to a near normal state

• Chris1
    Options

Hi Janlyn

That first shower is bliss. Im glad all went well with the nurse. It's good when the dressing comes off and you can see all is ok. My scar is is a bit bumpy as well. I'm using bio oil to gently massage the scar. Only use when it's completely healed.

Hi Denise

Each day it gets better. More sleep would be lovely. Enjoy your first shower

Take care xx

• swimmer60
    Options

@Janlyn

First shower and it was successful, grand!

10 weeks in, at last I'm sleeping better, still waking up after 2-3 hours, but usually go back for a couple more.

Getting really tired in the afternoons though, probably because I'm doing more?

Good crutch advice, carrying one does warn other people to be mindful of you and also, ward off dogs and those dreadful elastic leads. I don't use mine outside now, but it's so windy and slippery outside, I might take it when I go swimming later.

Can't emphasise enough, there are no rules and it's just what the individual feels comfortable with. Apart from the 90

• swimmer60
    Options

........poor internet connection and got cut off!

..... degree rule and toe nail cutting, but reading other posts even this seems surprisingly flexible. I've been banned till 12 weeks and even then advised caution.

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 16

@Denis68 I actually checked my paperwork the hospital gave me and it clearly stated I could shower after two weeks rather than waiting to be told. Wise to take the occasional codeine if you need them but seems as though much is returning to normal for you too.

@Chris1 I am still a bit cautious with my scar and amazed it isn't bigger than it is. An amazingly neat job. I agree more sleep would be lovely - especially at night - I have no problems during the day!

@swimmer60 good news you're sleeping better - I don't mind waking so long as I can get back to sleep - you've given me hope that by Spring I may have reached a similar stage. I hope you're able to give in an sleep on an afternoon. I have been amazed by the quality of day-time sleep - I hadn't quite realised how the pain had been stopping me sleeping for such a long time.

I went for a walk on the canal bank near me this afternoon and a man asked to borrow one of my sticks to fish his son's ball out of the canal! It's good I have my uses, although I was a bit concerned he would lose my stick in the canal too.

I agree even without rules caution and what our bodies tell us is probably the best way to go. I'm finding there's usually a way to do things differently, but toe nails is the one I'm resigned to having to ask for help with.

Another day of progress, I think. A slightly longer walk outside and pleased about that.

Take care all, xx

• Janlyn
    Options

Day 17

I've been home two weeks today and looking back I am so much better than then and feel so lucky.

I actually slept almost normally last night which I found amazing. I woke up, but got back to sleep, even after bathroom visits. By the time I got up my paracetamol was overdue but I didn't really feel the need for it, although I am taking it regardless for now. A few days ago I was always alerted by pain around an hour before it was due.

I went for a slightly longer walk but still not far. I seem to be using my sticks for confidence rather than leaning on to them as I was doing pre-op. It's so nice to walk without constant pain and creaking and cracking.

Take care all, xx

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

This is just a lovely supportive thread, all of you joining in sharing experiences and reassuring each other, it's great to read.

In the words of 'young' Mr Grace: "You've all done very well!"

Here's to 2024

🥂

Best wishes

Ellen.

• swimmer60
    Options

@Janlyn

Carrying on from "different advice" theme, my friend had THR about ten days ago via the NHS. One of the very worst things I found was injecting myself in the stomach, well she was told by the hospital staff that they, "don't bother doing that any more, because patients didn't like doing it!" I'm gob smacked.

However, both her legs and her feet are very swollen and painful and I'm wondering if there's a connection.

Am also wondering how wide spread this practise is now.