If I were the Queen I'd knight my Rheumy

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 27. Dec 2008, 14:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw my Rheumy a month or so ago and he noticed I had great difficulty getting out of a chair - I sort of do the rocking thing, put my nose almost on the carpet and then unfold like a sheet of paper. He did say he thought I was going to go into a forward roll and was preparing himself to applaud :o :!: He decided to have me tested for Vitamin D deficiency and also thyroid problems as they can cause muscle weakness.

My results have come back and I have inadequate levels of Vitamin D in my blood and he has put me on Vitamin D tablets (Calcichew). The thing I think that may interest some of you is that the day after starting Calcichew my knee pain disappeared :shock: I've had knee pain for 22 years now, apart from the odd spells where I've had steroid injections into them and considering I had them both replaced 8 years ago, this, to me, is unbelieveable. :shock:

I must also add that I am on Mtx and it's working very well for me and my RA is very calm anyway at the moment, it could also be psychological and why just my knees, I don't know, but I'm really enjoying this experience?

I'm not saying it's a miracle cure and that it's the answer to everyone's problems I'm just saying that although I don't understand why this has happened, it is pretty damn good and it may be worth making enquiries when you next seeyour GP or Consultant to see if this could have been overlooked in your case.

So arise Sir Rheumy :wink:

Luv Legs :)
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Linda
    WOW!!!
    Which one is vitamin D - sunlight?
    I am so very pleased for you - a bit of good news eh?
    Long may it continue :wink:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Yes, Toni, mainly sunlight but also oily fish i.e. salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc.

Love, Legs x
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    The same miracle happened to me a year ago. Vitamin D deficiency also causes low mood as well as muscle problems, joint pains etc. I had quite a bad deficiency and had obviously had it for some time before a doctor just wondered if this was part of the problem. Sometimes everything is put down to RA and people stop considering anything else. :roll:

I have never looked back either and it feels such a step forward. My RA grumbles on regardless but many things feel better and I have been happy since! :)

Happy Christmas.

Kaz
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Linda
    I just read in a not so classy mag, that vitamin D is a treatment for psoriasis :? any connection d'you think?
    Hope you are having a great Christmas
    love
    Toni xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Linda
    I just read in a not so classy mag, that vitamin D is a treatment for psoriasis :? any connection d'you think?
    Hope you are having a great Christmas
    love
    Toni xx

Yes, there probably is a connection - although I only have RA and not PA but psoriasis is the same family as arthritis - so that has to be it. Do you think you and I should write a 'paper' on it ?:wink:

When trying to find out on the Net whether the level in my blood of 34 is low or fairly average I did come across a website that said they were doing studies in America on the elderly who had oesteoaritis in their knees and there are trials with giving them Vitamin D and there seems to have been great benefit - can't find the website now, unfortunately. :roll:

Yes, we're having a good Christmas, but has spells of sadness 'cos I've just lost my Mum - hope you're enjoying yours.

Love, Legs x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I am a care assistant with the elderly and before that I worked with very disabled people. Calcichew or Calcos seems to be is very often given to these groups of frail people. Quite a lot of people in this position are unable to tolarate sun on their skin and get very little exposure to sunlight, so it all makes sense. Sue